One Of The Best F-16 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an older video that features Blaine Smith in the late 80's at the Paris Air Show. It's a really aggressive F-16 performance, that shows it from the cockpit, as well as the outside. You can really see and hear how tiring it is for the pilot. He sounds completely exhausted by the time he touches down.

I remember seeing this years ago. I think this version was fighter only, not the heavier later multi role airplane. If I recall, a SAAB Viggen was due to fly next, the pilot refused to fly after the F-16.

Originally Posted by Linctex

"dogfight skills" like this will soon be in the past.....

That was said in 1955.

The year that the US Navy bought the F-4 Phantom without a gun, because it was built as an interceptor.

Dogfighting was a thing of the past with the development of all-aspect radar guided missiles, like those the Phantom had...

The F-16 is a great airplane, by the way.

Later version were heavier, but the GE F-110 and big intake made for an even better performing airplane than the one in the video.

I've seen 9.9 on the G meter in the Viper.

It hurts...

I can't imagine the strength it takes on top of the skill needed to work through the G forces.

There will always be the need for brains in a plane.

Originally Posted by CT8
I can't imagine the strength it takes on top of the skill needed to work through the G forces.

If you watch the videos of the celebrity ride along's with the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, several will puke at some point. And most will also black out temporarily at 6 G's or higher. This guy was at 9 G's for almost 20 seconds straight. If he blacks out, he's basically dead. I can't imagine the physical effort it takes to endure that. Let alone endure it and still be able to fly the plane like that.

Originally Posted by Astro14

That was said in 1955.
The year that the US Navy bought the F-4 Phantom without a gun, because it was built as an interceptor.
Dogfighting was a thing of the past with the development of all-aspect radar guided missiles, like those the Phantom had...

COMPLETELY different scenario today - he who finds the enemy on radar and launches missiles first is the winner.

There really, truly will be no more "dogfighting"

Originally Posted by Astro14

That was said in 1955.

COMPLETELY different scenario today - he who finds the enemy on radar and launches missiles first is the winner.

We had radar in Vietnam.

Living in Southern California I have seen dozens and dozens of airshows (we used to have 6 bases that had them regular shows)..About 4-5 years ago at Miramar the F-16 demo pilot put on the best show I ever saw. Flew that plane so hard. We were down at the end of the base where he made his hard turns The air was crackling for many seconds after the F16 went by. Of course all the planes are impressive in their own way...Airshows are something I still enjoy no matter how many times I see them

Originally Posted by billt460

We had radar in Vietnam.

You didn't have missiles that loop around 180 and kill what's on your tail

Removing guns from fighter aircraft because they have radar and missiles is akin to removing the dagger from infantry because they have M16 and a handgun.

We've been saying that for decades now and I'm not at all sure that's true.

What happens when opponents run out of certain weaponry? They go home? Or do they fight it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back