.22 ammo report & target ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

So, I got to shoot some rounds of ammo with my new SR22 and wanted to share my experience so far. The ammo were Agula Super Extra HP, Federal Champion 525, CCI Mini Mag and CCI Velocitor. All are gold plated hallow points but different grains.

• Federal Champions 36 grain: Shot the most rounds. Nice bang with no jams.
  • Aguila 38 grain: shot 50 rounds. Nice bang with 2 jams. Both times, the expended round did not eject. Had to remove magazine to resolve the jams.
  • CCI Mini mag & Velocitors 40 grain: Wow, my favorite at the moment. Shot 20 rounds each. Bigger bang than the others with smoke coming out of the barrel (not sure if that's good or bad). No jams and tightest grouping of them all.

I'm really enjoying shooting the SR22 and the ammo I love shooting from it are the CCIs. Oh why oh why did I get into this expensive hobby?
lol.gif
Come spring time, I can shoot on my father-in-laws farm land for free. That's when I'll have my wife and daughter with me. I guess father-in-law wants to shoot empty cans and milk jugs filled with water. What else do you guys use as cheap targets to shoot at outside?

Last edited:
You will find that ,22 guns really like certain ammo better than others. My rifle likes the CCI ammo, both solids and hollow points. What it does not like in terms of precision is the hypervelocity stuff. If I want that, I shoot my .22 WMR with CCI ammo and get great results!

My experience is that in a semi-automatic handgun,CCI give the best and most consistent results.

Expensive hobby... LOL.

A few years ago is was almost impossible to purchase .22 ammo. People were hoarding it big time and price went way up.

These targets are pretty cool. https://smokeringtargets.com/cart.php?suggest=30384927-9a94-4eec-af41-6330165cd9f0

No idea about this company, just an example of the target. I shoot a small orange rubber thing made to be a gun target or those glo shot targets.

Shooting playing cards at 25 yards is fun, too.

Sounds like you're on your way to buying a .22 rifle next. I have this https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-22-sport

It's awesome even in NJ neutered configuration.

Last edited:
Nope.Buy the Glenfield/Marlin 60 instead. I like to target old milk jugs with water in them.Recyclable when done too,usually. Or take a sapporo beer can and fill with water and freeze. Those cans even empty take a beating. Have fun and dont shoot your eye out.

I can and occasionally shoot .22's on my land. I have a Browning BL22 lever action which is lots of fun along with a Browning Buck Mark pistol.
CCI is my favorite overall brand for .22 ammo. I do like the Remington Cbee round which wont work in a semi auto.
I do not like Remington Thunderbolt. That has to be the worst .22 round you can buy in modern times.
I save tin cans to shoot at them. Glass bottles are fun to shoot but I don't like the mess it leaves.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I can and occasionally shoot .22's on my land. I have a Browning BL22 lever action which is lots of fun along with a Browning Buck Mark pistol.
CCI is my favorite overall brand for .22 ammo. I do like the Remington Cbee round which wont work in a semi auto.
I do not like Remington Thunderbolt. That has to be the worst .22 round you can buy in modern times.
I save tin cans to shoot at them. Glass bottles are fun to shoot but I don't like the mess it leaves.

Put a tarp under where your bottles sit. Cleanup easy

A lot of the bulk ammo is not good, check it for loose bullets before you try to run it though a semi auto. I had some "Golden Bullet" that was so bad it wouldn't even feed in a bolt gun.

CCI Mini Mag, Velocitors and Stingers always work well for me.

For shooting on the farm bottles, cans and milk jugs can be fun. people use paper plates too. A little searching around online and you should find plans for a PVC pipe target stand that come in handy too. If I had a place to shoot they were allowed I would have some metal silhouette targets too.

As for rifles. BL22 and SA22 are both very nice last time I looked they were pricy but fine rifles. You also owe it to yourself to investigate the CZ 452/453/455/457 series The 457 is very new but I have 453s and a 455 and you absolutely cannot beat them at the price.

I use splatter burst targets that I buy on e-bay. They are about .25 each for the square kind. As far as .22 bullets about anything works in my arsenal. The Aguilars are my least favorite. I have had to problem whatsoever with the Remington Thunderbolt and I actually bought 4 boxes with 525 per box for about $11.00 which was a heck of a buy. I know a lot of people don't like the lead bullets but I have no problem saving some money. If I want real good accuracy I just grab my savage bolt action .17 and fire away. I rarely shoot a 22 magnum anymore.

Very cool posts. I was not planning on rifles at all. I'm an all pistol guy. was gonna upgrade to a 9-mm next, but, dang. That M&P 15/22 look sweet.

paper plates! That's a good and inexpensive idea! For target sheets, I probably have to build some kind of board to tack them onto, right? Need to look into that.

I just need to look for some CCI ammo, on sale, to hoard now.
grin.gif

Watch out with the hoarding it can get to be a sickness. First you find a good deal then another better deal and it's just doesn't stop. Pretty soon you have more than you can ever shoot which is a very good problem to have. If you ever lose your special shooting range think about joining a gun club. You meet some really nice people and pretty soon you have a hobby that becomes more addicting and can branch out to your wanting to buy more guns.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
A lot of the bulk ammo is not good, check it for loose bullets before you try to run it though a semi auto. I had some "Golden Bullet" that was so bad it wouldn't even feed in a bolt gun.

CCI Mini Mag, Velocitors and Stingers always work well for me.

For shooting on the farm bottles, cans and milk jugs can be fun. people use paper plates too. A little searching around online and you should find plans for a PVC pipe target stand that come in handy too. If I had a place to shoot they were allowed I would have some metal silhouette targets too.

As for rifles. BL22 and SA22 are both very nice last time I looked they were pricy but fine rifles. You also owe it to yourself to investigate the CZ 452/453/455/457 series The 457 is very new but I have 453s and a 455 and you absolutely cannot beat them at the price.

absolutely..the cz czech made line of rifles are best for the money hands down. great investment...i have no experience with their autoloaders, but have owned several bolts for years and they are excellent performers. triggers are easily modded to be near match quality..

I started shooting right around the time of the ammo shortage, so I was shooting whatever 22lr I could find. I found my SR22 got fairly leaded up, and had to clean fairly aggressively with some copper Chore-Boy scrubbing pads. I don't have as much issue now that I mostly shoot copper plated ammo. If I had access to some open space like that, I'd consider investing in some kind of steel to shoot at. The little plinking targets for 22s are fairly inexpensive, and the nice thing is that you don't have to walk over and reset them. Larger, thicker steel for pistol and rifles can get pretty expensive though.

If not a 15-22, I'd consider a Ruger 10/22. Or get your 9mm pistol and maybe a Ruger PC Carbine? Relatively long range shooting with a long gun is a different kind of fun in itself. What 9mm are you thinking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Rimfire-Resetting-Target/dp/B07M7W5JMK

As far as targets, you have a lot of good links here. The thing to stay away from are these websites that offer "free" printable targets from your desktop printer. When you figure the cost of printer ink cartridges, (many of these targets burn through black ink), along with the fact computer paper is much too thin of a stock for targets, and it tears easily, you're better and cheaper off to just buy them.

Multiply the mass times the velocity. The higher that number the more likely it will eject in a semi auto.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
What 9mm are you thinking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Rimfire-Resetting-Target/dp/B07M7W5JMK

9-mm I'm researching: Ruger Security 9, SR9 and Glock 17.

That rimfire resetting target looks quite fun. I watched one of the videos in the reviews and it looks absolutely fun to use. I just might get that for shooting on the farm. The wifeypoo said her dad probably will join us and show off his guns when we go out there to shoot. Have no idea what firearm he has.

Originally Posted by billt460
As far as targets, you have a lot of good links here. The thing to stay away from are these websites that offer "free" printable targets from your desktop printer. When you figure the cost of printer ink cartridges, (many of these targets burn through black ink), along with the fact computer paper is much too thin of a stock for targets, and it tears easily, you're better and cheaper off to just buy them.

Totally agree on this!

Originally Posted by billt460
Are you buying this 9 MM for the range, or for possible concealed carry as well?

The 9-mm is mostly for the range and home defense, if needed (though I have a 20-ga. shotgun for that too). Even though I'm not considering concealed carry right now, it can not be ruled out for the future, as I get more comfortable and proficient with firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back