Walmart batteries with 12 month warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's opinions on Walmart batteries and their line of only 12 month warranties? I have bought batteries for many years the old way, with a 48 or 60 month warranty. I have yet to collect on one of these. Either the battery lasts the warranty or I sell the car or I don't want to go back to the same place I got it. Either way, it seems silly to pay extra for something that never seems to pay off. The last two batteries I have bought have been from Walmart and they only ran $50 (as opposed to 90-120). Seems a no brainer. Am I missing something?

19 months on a ValuePower, and it's still going strong. It's lasted longer than the last two Advance Auto Silver batteries.

I bought one last May for my newly aquired Ford F350. I think it was around $49.
Made by Deka/East Penn manufacturing in PA. (They used to be made by Johnson controls, I prefer Deka)
So far, no complaints!

Last edited:
No, I don't think you're missing anything. For many years, I installed the least expensive batteries in my vehicles and got ~5yrs out of'em.

Now with all of the electronics in vehicles today, I personally want the better/bigger/more powerful batteries in my vehicles with a longer reserve(e.g., if lights are left on).

W*M's low end/ECONOMY batteries may only be 12 months but, their EverStart & EverStartMAXX are 2 & 3 yr free replacement and then prorated from there, IIRC!

I also believe that batteries are made a little bit differently today. We're not getting as much for our money in the low end batteries as we once did. Maybe batteries are made better(overall) in terms of their power delivery & recovery in extreme conditions/situations. The higher end of battery you buy, the thicker the lead plates are(supposedly). However, to get the good STUFF means paying through the nose.

I mean, the batteries that I'd prefer to run in my vehicles(GOLD/PLATINUM etc.) are upwards toward $200 if your not careful. I see that W*M(MAXX) has what I want for ~$120 and AAP(PLATINUM) is ~$160. And you get some extra warranty...again which we probably won't use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
No, I don't think you're missing anything. For many years, I installed the least expensive batteries in my vehicles and got ~5yrs out of'em.

Now with all of the electronics in vehicles today, I personally want the better/bigger/more powerful batteries in my vehicles with a longer reserve(e.g., if lights are left on).

W*M's low end/ECONOMY batteries may only be 12 months but, their EverStart & EverStartMAXX are 2 & 3 yr free replacement and then prorated from there, IIRC!

I also believe that batteries are made a little bit differently today. We're not getting as much for our money in the low end batteries as we once did. Maybe batteries are made better(overall) in terms of their power delivery & recovery in extreme conditions/situations. The higher end of battery you buy, the thicker the lead plates are(supposedly). However, to get the good STUFF means paying through the nose.

I mean, the batteries that I'd prefer to run in my vehicles(GOLD/PLATINUM etc.) are upwards toward $200 if your not careful. I see that W*M has what I want for ~$120 and AAP is ~$160.

but you are making the leap that the battery is supplying the power for all the "electronics" as you mention. The batteries purpose is not that. So I am having difficulty understanding how you need to spend $200.

smile.gif
No, no!
I'm not saying that I would spend ~$200. I am saying that, those who don't know, don't know! And could/would spend the $200. My SIL for example. She doesn't care!

I want the BEST battery at the LARGEST discount such as with an AAP code# and some SpeedPerks Dollars. So, that the $160 battery, I can and most likely will buy for around $80-$90.

In MN, are your vehicles started when it's -40F. Ours are not but, it does get down to -15F in my area and waaaay lower in other areas of NYS such as Tug Hill or the Adirondacks .

Maybe I'm overthinking & over buying my batteries but, IDC. I sell 'em after 5 yrs for 1/2 of what I paid(with a load test reading) and buy another battery the exact same way.

I'm getting too old to be messing around with stuff like that. My knuckles, shoulder, back, knees don't work the same was as when I was young. I want stuff that works and makes me sleep at night knowing that my wife is OK too.

Last edited:
So what is the expected life on a 12 month warranty battery? I am on my 2nd AC Delco " 42 month" battery in 10 years. The first one came with the truck and lasted 60 months. The 2nd one has 60 months on it and so far is fine.

So, $300 worth of batteries in 10 years. I suppose I could have bought up to 6-$50 batteries for that and had an occasional no-start in a dark parking lot outside a resturant. Of course you could have a self imposed rule to change out that $50 dollar battery every three years and pay just over $150 over 10 years. Might make sense if the they do indeed make it three years and you don't get mugged.
laugh.gif

Check out Rural King since you're in the mid-west. They have many car batteries 450-500 cca for $60. Made by Exide I think. I bought one in Florida because I couldn't find a Deka battery in my area.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Check out Rural King since you're in the mid-west. They have many car batteries 450-500 cca for $60. Made by Exide I think. I bought one in Florida because I couldn't find a Deka battery in my area.

I just got rid of one a few weeks ago that was still working fine but it was a little over six years old. Purchase price was $55 and a group #35. The only thing I didn't like about it was the heavy corrosion it leaked and built up around the positive terminal. The felt washers and NOCO treatment kept it at bay for the most part. But under the battery was a corrosive mess that I cleaned up before putting in the new battery. Dirty pig of a battery but was serviceable for over six years.

Went with an East Penn made Value Power at Walmart for $50.

Retired a group 65 JCI value battery after 37 months. Disappointed. At two years in, it was barely cranking my F150 300-6 at -5'F temps. I blamed it on the 10w30.

I don't learn good, so I got another $49 one from the same place. Its serial starts with EP (East Penn) and it cranks right the heck over.

The 3 year batteries are NO LONGER PRO RATED after 3 years. Few are, anywhere. IDK the cost sharing agreements between the makers and the stores but the general consensus is all the new charging schemes to save MPG are hard on batteries, so I can see them limiting their exposure.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
East Penn made Value Power at Walmart for $50.

I keep looking.... I have yet to see East Penn (Deka) at any Walmart in Texas

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
East Penn made Value Power at Walmart for $50.

I keep looking.... I have yet to see East Penn (Deka) at any Walmart in Texas

You can email them your zip to see if any of the Walmarts near you carry them. They only supply the northeast part of Ohio here. That was about a month back that I emailed. Now I notice the 3 closest WM's to me now carry them that weren't on the list from a month back. The oldest date code on an EP battery was 12/18.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/contact/

Retired a group 65 JCI value battery after 37 months. Disappointed.....
I don't get this comment. Got three years out of a battery warranted for 1 year costing ~$50. If I get three years out of my VP JCI 24F, I'll be ecstatic. Anything 2 years or over will cover my expectations. At 18 months now and still cranking on ungaraged vehicle. Here because of summer heat that an important factor. Guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I'll add, if I wasn't satisfied with getting 3 years out of a VP, I wouldn't buy another.

As for 3 year warranty battery with proration, Everstart Maxx currently 3 years full, 2 years pro rated.

I had two Optima Blue top deal cycle batteries in my 2007 Lund Tyee boat that were still good after 10 years. I sold them and bought the less expensive ones from Walmart. The only reason I sold them is because I thought I had a problem with my electric trolling motor when actually it was some other minor thing. I think when it comes to batteries you kind of get what you pay for especially at Walmart because their prices are quite competitive to other competition. If you are not keeping the vehicle or product very long by all means get the least expensive battery that works. If your going to keep such item a long time get one of the more expensive batteries and keep it on a tender when not in use.

If their Value Power batteries are East Penn built, i.e. no vent caps. then I would give one a try.

The Walmart higher warranty batteries are double the price of the Value Power for a couple of years extra warranty and slightly higher CCA.

I wish I could get one in group 34 size.

What I've noticed is that the Value Powers are a mixture of both JCI and East Penn even at the same stores. Although it seems all the new date codes from last month and this month are mostly EP. Of course I was mostly checking the group 35 and 24F batteries. Bought one of each. The 2012 Camry original battery died so replaced it and figured I'd better replace the over six year old Rural King/Exide battery in the other car. Since the mechanic mentioned smelling battery acid when he was doing some work.

The one year warranty JC batteries we sell at work are the same as those one year warranty Walmart batteries... Sometimes they make it a few years but the number of failures right after one year is up and the amount we warranty within the one year period is crazy. There's a reason they only have one year warranty... because they are junk! I would at least go one step up from that. Or, if you're willing to spend the money, go with an AGM battery.

I really wanted to try one in my truck, but stepping it up to the Everstart was only about $20 more. 3 year warranty with 2 being pro rated.

Manager back in the auto area said they typically just do a full 5 year warranty so well see if the situation arises. Heck, he could have gotten fired for improperly processing battery warranties.

Either way, I think the key is to buy the youngest battery you can find and the largest one you can fit.

I am on month 26 for the one I put in my 99 Grand Marquis.

I think I got it October or November 2017 and it is still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back