Using a school bus as a camper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old farmer I worked for back in high school converted a bus to an RV. Nothing fancy but it showed some ingenuity. He built a small platform at the back where you could walk out from the emerg door, which also had a bbq mounted. He was a tall fellow so he cut a hole in the floor and mounted a large stainless steel kitchen sink, which allowed him to stand up in the shower.

They can be very basic, or very nice. It all depends on how much money and effort is spent converting it to RV use.

A "schoolie" is what they are called, and they are fairly common.
A school bus is relatively inexpensive to buy used, and the chassis and body are well made and durable. The powertrain is rubust, and the fleets are normally very well maintained, so a used bus will typically have a lot of miles left in it.
Plumbing can be ran under kitchen cabinets, sometimes a false floor is studded in the bathroom to run plumbing under.
Sheets of foam insulation can help keep it comfortable, and standard rv components like air conditioners, furnaces, fridges and water heaters can be used.

Probably horrific fuel economy and slow as a snail.

I'd rather buy a used box truck and cut some window holes out to mount those RV windows in, and frame in a door in the back. Easy to park and store, better on gas, easier to work on, and a more realistic size.

Homeless RV slumlords...LOL. That's such a strong visual of something that I can see happening here...

Personally, I'd get a used van conversion RV over trying to make over a school bus because something tells me in the end the costs would start to approach each other...for something with potentially a lot more inherent problems with storage, ease of repair, and economy of use/maintenance. Unless you want to name it "Further", drop acid, and go nude hang gliding with your friends....or need the capacity...I'm not sure I'd attempt that especially if it was going to get somewhat regular, ongoing use versus just being a project or be in a fixed location.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Probably horrific fuel economy and slow as a snail.

I'd rather buy a used box truck and cut some window holes out to mount those RV windows in, and frame in a door in the back. Easy to park and store, better on gas, easier to work on, and a more realistic size.

Mileage is no worse than a big motorhome...my Genesis was good for 10MPG. I've seen 12 from a 5.9 Cummins bus. Box trucks are not as strongly built, usually not even close to watertight, and generally priced like gold, despite being beaten on pretty hard.

I converted a ‘52 Bluebird into a two bunk bed, propane heated, propane oven and burners, port-a-potty equipped camper back in the Woodstock days. Envy of every hippie in the country, it provided many great weekends for my buddies and me.
Sold it for almost double what I paid and put into it.
Storage? Your local school bus company would be happy to store and service it for you.
Enjoy.

Saw many ex school buses in the infield of many NASCAR events in the sixties and seventies. Most with wooden scaffolding and lawn chairs on top and sleeping bags spread throughout the interior. Hardly campers or motor homes but they were very popular back in the day.

They are still used...more than a few have been converted to tailgaters; I sometimes see them heading for Foxboro.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Any of you ever thought of such a thing? I saw a 2001 diesel manual transmission (!) with 100k miles for 3 grand. I was thinking, that thing could be turned into a camper! Only problem is storing the thing, and I think it also requires a different License to use. But the thought is tempting to me. I am a huge camping fan, and a school bus seems like a great alternative to the hugely expensive full blown RV campers.

I met a dude years ago when looking at a used boat he had for sale. He had a massive shop with various toys. Some of which were vintage buses and two school bus campers. One was gas, the other diesel. He said he was able to double the fuel mileage using the diesel. 4mpg to 8mpg! LOL.

We had two different ones when I was growing up. They were pretty basic but better than camping in a tent. I have seen some well done ones on YT. They are better built than most RV's and won't have a rotted out roof like most RV's get after several years.

Always chalked the ride quality to being over sprung for the loads they carry. A modest number of kids isnt really a heavy load. The rattly windows don't help with the prestige, but a fully built, outiftted and insulated schoolie can be a fine living space imo

My motorcycle license course operated out of a converted bus. The rear 1/2 of the bus was stuffed with motorcycles and they used the handicapped lift/ emergency exit to raise and lower them down. Pretty clever.

I expect a decent expense would be disposing of all the old seats. If you're really in the sticks you could try burning them, but they have that fire resistant foam which would make a stinky smoky mess.

My son's bus goes full throttle-- brake five times in a mile doing all the stops for the young kids. I hear a U-joint clunking too.
lol.gif

If it were me I'd try doing it with one of those E450 cutaway airport shuttles-- nice tinted windows, better AC, 20-ish feet shorter.

Originally Posted by nobb
Don't school buses have crappy ride quality and are super noisy/rattly?

Many school buses don't use air ride suspensions with airbags. Maybe the newer transit-style rear engine buses do(and Thomas/Blue Bird/Navistar does sell their RE chassis buses for light-duty transit applications that need more than a cutaway van but less than a heavy-duty Gillig/New Flyer/NovaBus 30-40' low floor transit bus).

Older school buses were oversprung and stiff - no air ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back