Oil Extractor Pump Vacuum Fluid Evacuator Motor Engine Oil Changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone use an oil extractor before removing drain plug? I had to buy an oil extractor for my PWC's and so i wondered if it would help me when changing oil in my vehicle. so i used it to suck out most of the oil then when i took out drain plug it didn't shoot oil out everywhere and drained cleanly.

just wondered if anyone had thoughts on this vs the old fashioned just drain it all way. theoretically if anything is in the oil it would get sucked out being suspended in oil and if anything was residual in bottom of pan hopefully it would make it way to the drain plug and come out with what little did drain. it sure was a lot cleaner since it didn't shoot out a whole 5 quarts.

On cars where the drain isn't flush to the bottom, an extractor actually can get more oil out. I know for Audi and Mercedes, they're actually designed that way with the filters on top and the drain being not at the bottom. Their service manuals recommend using extractors.

I've been using one for about 15 years. They're wonderful and I use it every chance I can. Doesn't work for all applications, but when it does, it's a no-brainer.

I use it on my Focus 1.0 EcoBoost. I then pull the plug and get literally about 3 drops of oil out.

Originally Posted by mitsuman47
Any particular brand y'all are using? I'd go for quality before price.

this was highly recommended and what i bought and really like it.

EWK 6.5L Pneumatic Manual Oil Extractor Pump Vacuum Fluid Evacuator Motor Engine Oil Changer

Originally Posted by mitsuman47
Any particular brand y'all are using? I'd go for quality before price.

I have a Mityvac 7300. Holds 8.8 litters and the vacuum pump is run by shop air.

I have the HF one
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

Paid about $100 it works good except the air fitting it came with was an odd one...
took about 2$ and 5min to fix that.

[Linked Image]

some german cars and a few others it works esp. well on.. some its ok on.. some its terrible on(subaru)

With the 2013 equinox ecotech it leaves literally 2-3oz in.. which is good enough for me.

with the 2013 outback it was about 1.25qt (way too much left)

some german cars you literally get more out than with the drain plug.

I really like using it on the deere 316 and 318 tractors as those can be a mess, and the drain "valve" sticks and is hard to get at.
The extractor leaves 1-2oz in which is plenty good.

I have the HF unit to use at home. I can tell you so far that from all of my foreign stuff, I have not gotten a single drop by removing the drain plug afterwards, and I'll never do it again. Extraction all the way.

Some cars I can tell you will not agree with it. After taking off a Corvette C6's oil pan, you'd be lucky to hit pan bottom. Dipstick comes in almost horizontal, and there's plenty of pan baffling to get in the way.

My Cummins Rams don't agree either. Dipstick tubes neck down somewhere to where I can't even get capillary tubing in there.

Originally Posted by Rand
[Linked Image]

How do you drain that thing?
By tipping it upside down?
confused.gif

The brass looking drain hole seems to be at a bad location?!?

Just trying to learn, thanks!!
10.gif

I bought a ~80kpa / ~11psi vacuum extraction pump that is 12 volts tonight on E-Bay for $20 USD and I'm going to rig it up to an old see through 2.5 gallon container by putting the lines through the cap and sealing them to the cap. I also bought 4mm O.D. x 2.5mm I.D. tubing to fit down the dipstick tube.

I saw a project where someone else did something similar and built them a pretty decent fluid extraction pump for $30 USD.

I'm going to try this as the Caravan has the filter up top so not having to go to the bottom to drain the oil would be nice in the winter, especially because I don't have a garage at my place.
I can do it now with my hand extraction pump I use for oil sampling but that would be a lot of pumping/dumping. (no pun intended)

The pumps like the first manual pump mentioned above are $115 or more here for the size I need. (6.2 Quarts)

Last edited:
On the vehicles I have used my pella pump for oil changes, I have been able to get more out than i could with the drain bolt due to the pan designs. YMMV.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I bought a ~80kpa / ~11psi vacuum extraction pump that is 12 volts tonight on E-Bay for $20 USD and I'm going to rig it up to an old see through 2.5 gallon container by putting the lines through the cap and sealing them to the cap. I also bought 4mm O.D. x 2.5mm I.D. tubing to fit down the dipstick tube.

I saw a project where someone else did something similar and built them a pretty decent fluid extraction pump for $30 USD.

I'm going to try this as the Caravan has the filter up top so not having to go to the bottom to drain the oil would be nice in the winter, especially because I don't have a garage at my place.
I can do it now with my hand extraction pump I use for oil sampling but that would be a lot of pumping/dumping. (no pun intended)

The pumps like the first manual pump mentioned above are $115 or more here for the size I need. (6.2 Quarts)

Pump works perfect on my 2015 Chrysler T&C. The only recommendation I would make is to park ever so slightly facing down hill to get the most out as the dip stick hits the oil pan in the front, not the rear.

I have Jabsco electric pump that I used for years to change oil in my Yacht engines; Since it is 12V, I just hook it up to my Jump Starter and lean back and relax while watching the battery do the work.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17860-2012-Engine-Changer-System/dp/B01KZWJS82/ref=sr_1_41?crid=1ZRNRIW0LVMYQ&keywords=marine+oil+extractor+pump&qid=1547836097&sprefix=marine+oil+ext%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-41

Also works for some automotive applications. For example, changing differential fluid. It does not work for changing oil in some vehicles. The way that some oil pans are designed, the tube will not get to the bottom of the pan. I cannot use it for the 5.7L in my Jeep or the 6.4L in my Charger Scat Pack. Can't use it for the BMW either. It does not have an engine oil dipstick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Arctic388
does anyone use an oil extractor before removing drain plug?

1) They are much more useful on transmission fluid changes when there is no drain plug. Instead of wrestling 20 pounds of pan and fluid under the car while lying on a creeper trying to avoid a Dexron shower such that you would come out looking like you dismembered someone with a chain saw.

2) If you have a problem with oil shooting out everywhere, maybe you need a bigger pan or better aim. Or get one of these to avoid getting you hand covered with oil when removing the plug.

https://www.otctools.com/sites/defa...age_large/public/5911a.jpg?itok=257AsvZo

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
On cars where the drain isn't flush to the bottom, an extractor actually can get more oil out. I know for Audi and Mercedes, they're actually designed that way with the filters on top and the drain being not at the bottom. Their service manuals recommend using extractors.

I am planning to use an extractor for my 2016 Mercedes E250.

I have been reading the related threads here and on the MB forums. Anyone have an opinion of manual vs pneumatic? Other than higher $$ for the pneumatic I am not aware that it is any more effective in the amount of oil extracted, but yes the pneumatic will likely be quicker and require no elbow grease. Can anyone confirm this, as for DIY use, the manual would be fine with me as long as it is just as effective -- I do not mind the extra time or elbow grease to pump it
smirk.gif

Also, can anyone comment on the availability of an adapter for Mercedes to create an airtight seal at the top of the dipstick tube vs inserting a tube down the dipstick. Pretty confident my dipstick tube (as do most for Mercedes) goes down to the bottom of the pan. Plus, this is what the dealer does. The ones I have heard of have an adapter with 1 or two O-rings that create a seal around the inside lip of the top of the dipstick tube. Actually the pics of the HF unit above may have that adaptor - looking at the one with the shutoff valve -- unless that adapter is to connect to the various tubes shown in the pic as well??

In terms of extractor options, here is one I came across on Amazon. See link below.. a Mityvac knock off? There is also the EWK 6.5L model as noted above. Comments on any of these? Thanks in advance!

8milelake extractor on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back