free credit report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Credit Karma. It's free, no free trial rigamarole.

They send you monthly emails detailing changes to your score. And also alert you to any new changes (ie new accounts being opened.)

Credit Karma pulls info from TransUnion and Equifax and gives you a weekly credit report and credit score based upon Vantage (not FICO). Experian has their own free service which provides a credit report and FICO credit score. Many credit cards provide a free credit score, either FICO or Vantage. Banks use FICO for the most part.

The website www.freecreditreport.com provides a path to get a single credit report from each company ones a year.

I have a Credit Karma Canada account and it's great. Just the occasional e-mail about having a new offer ready for me like some credit card with a better interest rate etc. It's not a ton of spam though.

Originally Posted by Donald
Credit Karma pulls info from TransUnion and Equifax and gives you a weekly credit report and credit score based upon Vantage (not FICO). Experian has their own free service which provides a credit report and FICO credit score. Many credit cards provide a free credit score, either FICO or Vantage. Banks use FICO for the most part.

The website www.freecreditreport.com provides a path to get a single credit report from each company ones a year.

My credit scores are different from my credit cards to creditkarma. I trust creditkarma more. My score there is more volatile and corresponds to what I'm doing with my credit moreso than the scores on my credit card sites.

I get a Credit Score from my Credit Card Co. every Month when I pay the bill.
For me, that's good enough.

On a side note; Freezing your Credit Report at the 5 'reporting co' is a good idea to prevent Identity Theft.
You can still check your 'report' at AnnualCreditReport.com
1) Trans Union
2) Equifax
3) Experian
4) Innovis
5) Chex System

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

My credit scores are different from my credit cards to creditkarma. I trust creditkarma more. My score there is more volatile and corresponds to what I'm doing with my credit moreso than the scores on my credit card sites.

Credit Karma scores are not real scores. I would trust the one the credit cards give you. Thats more likely what lenders are to use.

Banks use FICO for the most part. Yes and then you don't have to play those other peoples silly little games.

FICO.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

Credit Karma is a Vantage score and many credit cards are FICO. There are also many different FICO. Mortage is different than car loan is different than consumer.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I get a Credit Score from my Credit Card Co. every Month when I pay the bill.
For me, that's good enough.

On a side note; Freezing your Credit Report at the 5 'reporting co' is a good idea to prevent Identity Theft.
You can still check your 'report' at AnnualCreditReport.com
1) Trans Union
2) Equifax
3) Experian
4) Innovis
5) Chex System

10000% AMEN

Its free to "Freeze" your reports and in this day in age there is ZERO reason to keep your credit "Open"

You can do it all online and have them all frozen in ~30min

Last edited:
As a moderate with libertarian leanings I think it's interesting that credit reporting:

1. Started out with sites like free credit report.com that had all sorts of gotcha make money on the rubes hooks.
2. Government came back with annualcreditreport.com that cleaned up the abuses.
3. The market responded with creditkarma and FICO sites hooked to credit cards which are available constantly, not just once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back