Audi Engines with Oil Consumption Findings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This man is rebuilding his 2.0T EA888 out of his 2014 Audi A4. These engines starting from 2009 have had some severe issues with oil consumptions requiring a Stage 1 (PCV + software) or Stage 2 (replace cylinder rings with updated design) intervention from Audi depending on the rate of burn and circumstance. This rebuilder has traced it down to a problem with the oil ring design where oil is not flowing back out of the cylinder and hence burning off during combustion. This seems to be caused by clogged oil passages in the rings from carbon. As more oil is burned off, this probably just becomes worse and worse.

Curious about two things:
1. Would using an engine flush be strong enough to remove that carbonization?
2. Would a thinner oil have an easier time evacuating the cylinder once the drain has been cleaned?

These engines are generally rated for 5w30 or 5w40.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...d?p=13430056&viewfull=1#post13430056

https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...d?p=13484455&viewfull=1#post13484455

I don't think most flushes would be strong enough, but something like Kreen may be. I think it would take longer than you'd normally leave any regular flush in is why- the Kreen you put a pint in the crankcase, pull all the plugs and put an ounce in each cylinder, stick the plugs back in, and then let it sit overnight. Next morning, tighten the plugs and drive normally for the next 1,000 miles. Kreen is some strong stuff.

Other method may be using the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, which is specifically designed to de-carbon piston rings on Cummins ISX engines... should work just as well on an Audi, but the stuff is $70/gal and can only be obtained from Cummins dealers or Ryder Fleet Products.

You might spend a lot of money trying other fixes and get nowhere. I would spend the cash and have the rings fixed. Especially because it's a newer vehicle and I suspect you want to keep it.

I don't have issues yet... just curious about the mechanics of it.

Getting the rings done on these cars are about 4 to 6 k.

If you don't have a problem shortening the OCI may go a long way in preventing it. Make sure you use a higher HTHS oil, on a 2014 I think it should be a 502 A3/B4 oil.

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
I don't have issues yet... just curious about the mechanics of it. ...
Yeah. Do you believe "the mechanics of it" are similar to ring-coking problems common to various other (seemingly mostly Japanese & GM?) modern engines?

Originally Posted by Trav
If you don't have a problem shortening the OCI may go a long way in preventing it. Make sure you use a higher HTHS oil, on a 2014 I think it should be a 502 A3/B4 oil.

Oh in that case I would do what Trav advises.

This man is rebuilding his 2.0T EA888 out of his 2014 Audi A4. These engines starting from 2009 have had some severe issues with oil consumptions requiring a Stage 1 (PCV + software) or Stage 2 (replace cylinder rings with updated design) intervention from Audi depending on the rate of burn and circumstance. This rebuilder has traced it down to a problem with the oil ring design where oil is not flowing back out of the cylinder and hence burning off during combustion. This seems to be caused by clogged oil passages in the rings from carbon. As more oil is burned off, this probably just becomes worse and worse.

2. Would a thinner oil have an easier time evacuating the cylinder once the drain has been cleaned?

We have a 2014 1.8 ea888. Do they share their same problem? Honestly I've never heard of this issue before on the ea888.

Originally Posted by gregk24

We have a 2014 1.8 ea888. Do they share their same problem? Honestly I've never heard of this issue before on the ea888.

Mixed reports but seems like the updated ring designs didn't go out fully until 2015

Am I the only one who thinks it's nuts to consider spending 4-6k, just to stave off a bit of oil consumption? I owned this engine for eight years and spend at least part of every day on car forums and I have never heard of this ring issue before.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Am I the only one who thinks it's nuts to consider spending 4-6k, just to stave off a bit of oil consumption? I owned this engine for eight years and spend at least part of every day on car forums and I have never heard of this ring issue before.

It's the top sticky thread on Audizine which I think is the #1 audi forum.

For some people it gets really bad.

Originally Posted by Cujet
It's a well known issue, despite good oil choice and frequent changes, the problems continue.

Do you know if it affects the 1.8 EA888 or just the 2.0?

It's a well known issue, despite good oil choice and frequent changes, the problems continue.

Guess it depends on if they share the same piston ring designs.

Yep, I frequent a well known VW forum and I can't say I have heard of a wide spread issue with the 1.8 EA888 used in the VW line. Plenty of talk about the Audi 1.8T though, I can't imagine they would be that different.

Yep, I frequent a well known VW forum and I can't say I have heard of a wide spread issue with the 1.8 EA888 used in the VW line. Plenty of talk about the Audi 1.8T though, I can't imagine they would be that different.

When I had an Audi with the old 1.8t with issues that didn't seem to affect the VWs, I heard people suggest that the primary difference may be related to the longitudinal orientation in the Audis vs. transverse in all but one of the VWs. I don't know what is different internally between the engines built for different orientations, or if it is related to being paired to a CVT vs traditional auto or manual.

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
When I had an Audi with the old 1.8t with issues that didn't seem to affect the VWs, I heard people suggest that the primary difference may be related to the longitudinal orientation in the Audis vs. transverse in all but one of the VWs. I don't know what is different internally between the engines built for different orientations, or if it is related to being paired to a CVT vs traditional auto or manual.

The old 1.8t had a larger oil sump when transversely mounted.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Piston soak + Valvoline Blue.

Valvoline Blue isn't going to do anything other than regular lubrication. It's a conventional HDEO.

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is likely what you're referencing, and a completely different animal (search JAG's thread on it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back