Boiler/baseboard valve corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two zones boardboard heating with a propane boiler. I noticed today, heavy corrosion on one of the two drain valves.

My first photo shows two circles. The top circle is where the corrosion is and the bottom circle is where the corrosion is dripping down onto. The top circle area is oppposite/across from the circulation pumps. The second picture is a closer view on the area.

Can anyone tell me what the most likely cause of the corrosion is and what I should do about it? My system is five years old but I think this only became a problem over the last year (I could be mistaken).

thanks!

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Condensation from high humidity levels in summer?

Do you run a dehumidifier in the basement in the summer months?

Originally Posted by supton
Condensation from high humidity levels in summer?

Do you run a dehumidifier in the basement in the summer months?

For the past few years I have run a dehumidifier in the basement during summer. Humidity is always 50% or lower year round in the basement. I recently had my fridge icemaker hose spilt which leaked down to within 5 feet of this area and probably leaked for two weeks or so but I doubt (can't be certain) there was any contact with where the corrosion is occurring.

I did some reading after making this post and one of the causes of copper corrosion can be the application of too much flux or not deburring enough during the soldering process. Unsure if this was the cause for me or not.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Slight leak. Water evaporates, leaving mineral deposits. Repair the joint to fix the leak.

I appreciate the suggestion. I may clean off the corrosion and see if I can see a small leak.

Originally Posted by wormwood1978
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Slight leak. Water evaporates, leaving mineral deposits. Repair the joint to fix the leak.

I appreciate the suggestion. I may clean off the corrosion and see if I can see a small leak.

After you clean the area, place a piece of cardboard under the fitting to see if any water drips.

Hopefully you can fix it yourself.
Drain the line to get ALL water out before soldiering
Careful not to get the Seals in valve to hot.
Good luck.

This is why I Inspect every thing in my house (at least) once per year.
Find the problem early and fix it.

Is the valve sweat soldered in or threaded.? I cannot tell. The valve to the left of the leaking one also looks corroded.

If threaded remove the valve, wire brush, use Teflon pipe compound and tape.

If sweated I would wire brush then steel wool and sweat solder it again. Could have been a bad sweat solder job.

As others have said, there is a rubber gasket in the valve you do not want to melt.

Originally Posted by Donald
Is the valve sweat soldered in or threaded.? I cannot tell. The valve to the left of the leaking one also looks corroded.

If threaded remove the valve, wire brush, use Teflon pipe compound and tape.

If sweated I would wire brush then steel wool and sweat solder it again. Could have been a bad sweat solder job.

As others have said, there is a rubber gasket in the valve you do not want to melt.

I took a quick look at it this morning and the valve looks threaded. I'm not going to mess with it until after some weather passes we're getting this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back