Nokian Hakkapelitta R3 - Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used each R2 set typically for three winters and during this time I noticed no significant drop in grip. Also, they were quieter than my summer tyres.

Originally Posted by Finn
I used each R2 set typically for three winters and during this time I noticed no significant drop in grip. Also, they were quieter than my summer tyres.

Yeah, weird thread...

My R2's seem acceptable in cold rain, of which I see a lot, and fine in the dry under 45 degrees. I mean, it's a winter tire--so it won't be seeing much warmer temps. They've been equally quiet to the Michelin X-Ice 3's, and way more quiet and comfortable than th UHP All Seasons. I have about 8K miles on them and ice and snow traction is as good as it was new. To me, they seem very similar to the X-Ice3.

Yes, we (well, some might) do not use friction tyres year around over here - you could but they are not meant to work so well in summer heat so two sets of tyres for a car. I typically switch the set when the temperature drops below/rises above 5 degrees Celsius (40F).

I understand that R3 is an improvement over R2 but I have lately been using Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 friction tyres. Right now I have them on X5 and XJR. I like them a lot, too.

Problem with winters in MA is that the tire needs to handle -20C - 15C range (-5F - 60F).
Then there is dry, wet, ice and snow and we do have decent hills too. Very hard for any tire.

Krzys

Those are about the same conditions what we experience in the winter here. Well, perhaps not the hills, I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by Finn

I found the exact same with my R2. Used for three winters. Still great. Actually sold them for half of what I paid.

Originally Posted by krzyss
Problem with winters in MA is that the tire needs to handle -20C - 15C range (-5F - 60F).
Then there is dry, wet, ice and snow and we do have decent hills too. Very hard for any tire.

Krzys

Problem in Colorado is occasional drop to -25c, and than next day +20, and here it is pretty much always sunny. Than I drive to slopes all the time. I leave house, sunny +15c, enter mountains, -5, full blown blizzard. Come back, from blizzard to dry, warm weather. Those kind of conditions are really hard on tires, and could be culprit behind it. But it did not bother other snows I had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Problem in Colorado is occasional drop to -25c, and than next day +20, and here it is pretty much always sunny. Than I drive to slopes all the time. I leave house, sunny +15c, enter mountains, -5, full blown blizzard. Come back, from blizzard to dry, warm weather. Those kind of conditions are really hard on tires, and could be culprit behind it. But it did not bother other snows I had.

That seems like a big ask for any studless snow tire. Wouldn't a performance winter tire work better in those conditions (Pilot Alpin or WRG4 etc) ?

Originally Posted by JOD

That seems like a big ask for any studless snow tire. Wouldn't a performance winter tire work better in those conditions (Pilot Alpin or WRG4 etc) ?

I did not have any issues in drop of performance in Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice, although so far Michelin's proved best.
Bridgestone's did not have any drop, but they do wear out super fast. Michelin X-Ice seem best bet. Thing is once you enter Rocky Mountains anything can happen, from nice sunny, get skin cancer day, to foot of snow in 2 hours. So, one still needs really capable winter tires in deep snow, ice etc.

Last edited:
To put into context, how many miles do you put on your winters per season?

Winter tires, for me, since I put about 10,000 miles on them per season, are usually toast after 2 winters. But for some reason, these Nitto SN-2's are still going strong into their 3rd season.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Winter tires, for me, since I put about 10,000 miles on them per season, are usually toast after 2 winters. But for some reason, these Nitto SN-2's are still going strong into their 3rd season.

It depends on the car, Nokian's saw 2,000 miles last winter, Michelin's saw almost 14,000 miles. One season I put on Blizzaks on BMW 18,000 miles (I hit 60 skiing days that year, 124 miles one way trip, I never spend night there).
Of all tires, Nokian's saw least of harsh conditions, whether snow, ice or dry, warm, yet they declined fastest. They are on my wife's car and she is doing with it pretty much grocery getting only. I take it once a week to give it an "exercise." She truly hates to drive, so when she drives, those tires are always underutilized. She had Bridgestone Blizzak's WS70 on Tiguan for five winters, and only last one I could feel drop in performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

About 10k miles or so. Now that I don't travel anymore at work my tyres will last a longer.

So far so good on the winter tires and I have been in some heavy snow areas up north. We are getting dumped on this weekend about a foot of snow and really cold temperature of -4F (-20c) so I will give them a trial in the deep snow.

In this season's round of winter tire tests from Scandinavian and Russian magazines, the R3-SUV was a much better performer than the R3. It ranked 1st in 2 of 2 tests. The R3 saw more testing, from 7 different publications, and received only one 1st place rating. The other six scores ranged from 2nd to 8th place.

No doubt Nokian will be tweaking the rubber formulation and/or the internal construction of the R3 for next season. The studded Nokian Hakka9 is still a top performer on ice and snow, but it is getting stiff competition form Continental and Michelin. Michelin's new Xice North 4 has 250 studs in a 205/55R16 tire!

Ten years ago, Nokian dominated the winter studded and studless tire tests, but that is no longer true.

https://shina.guide/press/17310/

Well we got a ton of snow over the weekend and I was of course driving around in it to test the tires out and I can tell you that without a doubt they are by far the best winter tire I have owned. They are great steering through deep snow and have excellent traction on snow packed and icy surfaces. I was thoroughly impressed.

[Linked Image]

This is what the roads looked like...

B88546804Z.1_20190120152035_000_G7AFFF25.1-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubLGT
In this season's round of winter tire tests from Scandinavian and Russian magazines, the R3-SUV was a much better performer than the R3. It ranked 1st in 2 of 2 tests. The R3 saw more testing, from 7 different publications, and received only one 1st place rating. The other six scores ranged from 2nd to 8th place.

No doubt Nokian will be tweaking the rubber formulation and/or the internal construction of the R3 for next season. The studded Nokian Hakka9 is still a top performer on ice and snow, but it is getting stiff competition form Continental and Michelin. Michelin's new Xice North 4 has 250 studs in a 205/55R16 tire!

Ten years ago, Nokian dominated the winter studded and studless tire tests, but that is no longer true.

https://shina.guide/press/17310/

Is it going to loose performance like my R2's after only one season and 2000 miles?
I have never had winter tire with such dramatic drop in performance. Other test of AS tires and poor performance retention of Nokian entyre (or whatever) makes me think that Nokian might have an issue with this.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I have 8500km on them now (5300 miles) on them now.
21.gif

Tires deteriorate due to time, you know that. Some more some less.

21.gif

Just giving you what I have so far.

21.gif

Just giving you what I have so far.

Either way, their dry and wet performance is so abysmal that probably I am taking them off anyway next year regardless of depth of tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back