Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed reading this story. https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-a...ng-built-large-tree-trunk-021319805.html

[Linked Image]

You have to be special sort to drive across someone's lawn like that.

Reminds me of a story that my high school our physics teacher told us. When he was a kid, he had a friend who had a pickup who decided that running over mailboxes on a Saturday night was "fun". He did it to one guy's box. Guy replaced the box and whatever it was mounted on. It got run over a second time. This time the guy decided to sink a 4" pipe into concrete. Stopped the pickup dead this time. And that was the end of the problem.

Originally Posted by supton

Reminds me of a story that my high school our physics teacher told us. When he was a kid, he had a friend who had a pickup who decided that running over mailboxes on a Saturday night was "fun". He did it to one guy's box. Guy replaced the box and whatever it was mounted on. It got run over a second time. This time the guy decided to sink a 4" pipe into concrete. Stopped the pickup dead this time. And that was the end of the problem.

I see mailboxes here and the post is a giant diesel engine crankshaft.

You can't fix stupid. I wonder if the moron will try and sue? It wouldn't surprise me. If I were a judge I'd love to deal with a case like this. In the perfect world I'd pop his license for a year, then toss the lawsuit out of court, and fine said moron for the all the costs associated with wasting the legal system's time.

My FIL did the same thing in rural WI, guess his family was home when the jackwagon hit the pipe but they didn't get outside fast enough to see them before they screamed away.
They saw the car of a person they really didn't like in town a few days later at it was all mangled up. They never had trouble again, believe the BIL let the guy's family know they also had firearms handy and they would be used if they ever saw him anywhere near their house.

Wow thats only a few minutes from where I drive on the way home. Might have to take a slight diversion from my normal route this afternoon and do a drive-by and see this one in person.

Reminds me of when I was a kid in the late 70's, I used to mow the lawn for the old guy down the street. There were a couple of redneck bad boy teens a few houses down that he suspected were the ones who would keep driving a few feet into his lawn and intentionally running over his metal garbage cans, spraying them and the contents all over his lawn. He got tired of it, and instead of putting the cans on the right side of the driveway, he started putting them on the left side, where the fire hydrant sat a few feet off the street. He put the three cans in a triangular fashion, surrounding and hiding the hydrant. The very first night he did this, right on time about midnight he heard a big SMASH. Garbage cans all over, and a beat up rusty Dodge with a torn up fender and front end, plowed right into the hydrant. Didnt take much to confirm who the culprit was.

Growing up, we lived in the Chicago suburbs - Naperville, specifically - and our house was at at "Y" intersection.. that is to say, a feeder road terminating at the curve of another road. Lazy/drunk/bad drivers would sometimes take the turn too wide, too fast, or watever, and our mailbox got hit quite a few times. One such time, my dad had had enough, so we bought a half-barrel, filled the bottom 2/3 with concrete with the mailbox post down the center, and topped with a little soil and planted a few petunias. Everyone just thought it was a pretty planter.. until the first idiot went wide. Didn't quite stop the car dead, but came close. It certainly was not driving away under its own power.

The picture would have been much better if there was coolant, motor oil, and transmission fluid all over the ground.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Crazy thing is, all these creative and effective solutions make lawyers drool with anticipation.

Scott

How so? When we put the mailbox post into the concrete-filled half-barrel, it was completely on our own property, and in no way imposing on, overhanging, or in any other way blocking or interfering with traffic on, the road in front of our house. If someone drove up on OUR property and hit the barrel/mailbox, then it was completely on them.

Just as in the case of the snowman posted by the OP, it cannot be argued that driving up on our property, and therefore making contact with the post/stump/barrel, etc.. was something a driver operating legally on city streets would credibly expect to encounter. Contact with any of these would be outside the bounds of normal, legal operation of said vehicle.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Crazy thing is, all these creative and effective solutions make lawyers drool with anticipation.

Scott
I'd like to see the lawyer that would take that case.

Originally Posted by chainblu
It would be a cooler picture if there were car parts laying on the ground.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back