Coated rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they prevent the rust buildup that occurs around the venting area? After a few years I have quite the ridge there, that makes the pad wear funny near that. Usually I just ignore and replace rotors when the pads are done.

In this pic the rotors aren't that bad, I usually replace when worse--but this car is an automatic and I haven't taken much care in driving, so the pads wore pretty fast (2-3 years and 50-60k on the pads).

brakerotor.PNG

Originally Posted by supton
Do they prevent the rust buildup that occurs around the venting area? After a few years I have quite the ridge there, that makes the pad wear funny near that. Usually I just ignore and replace rotors when the pads are done.

In this pic the rotors aren't that bad, I usually replace when worse--but this car is an automatic and I haven't taken much care in driving, so the pads wore pretty fast (2-3 years and 50-60k on the pads).

Yes, because the venting area is coated too
smile.gif

Supton, please forgive me for piggybacking onto your thread. Does anyone have any data, anecdotal or other, that compares the effectiveness of the different coating types? I've identified at least three types, with supposedly proprietary variations also.

1.) e coated Centric and Wagner advertise e coated rotors. Electrostatic applied "paint" of some sort that does NOT cover the entire braking surface.
Centric claims "Centric Premium Plain 120 Series Rotors feature an Electrocoating (E-coating) finish that provides long lasting corrosion protection. Unlike phosphate finishes that provide only minimal protection from the elements, E-coating is a superior electrostatically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting."

2.) GEOMET Raybestos????and maybe others. This coating covers 100% of rotor surface "GEOMET coating is a special water-based solution containing zinc, metal oxides, and aluminum flakes, spraying over the rotor surface to ensure the brake disc surface is completely coated. The coated brake disc will be baked on at 600 degrees to form a durable and attractive silver-gray finish which resists rust, road salt, solvents, and other corrosives far better than paints or other traditional coatings."
https://www.stirlingautoparts.com/Blog/GeometBrakeRotors.aspx.....look how this site tries to market Geomet as better???
Salt Spray Test (Hour) Geomet 480, Dacromat 400, Zinc 240, E-Coating 120

3.) Brembo UV Coating: A clear coat that is adhered through UV light, no 600F baking like Geomet. Covers 100% of the rotor.
https://www.brembo.com/en/ComunicatiStampa/2012/Brembo_UV_Coated_Discs_EN.pdf

Brembo marketing claims much better than Geomet... Salt spray test: UV = 240 hrs., Zinc = 240 hours, Epoxy? = 150 hours, Geomet = 120 hours,

Last edited:
It's helps a significant amount but if you are in the salt belt don't expect perfection. Still, I will only use coated rotors of some type on my daily drivers.

What do you consider "old" ? I put Raybestos coated rotors on our Fusion last April and could take pictures (soon).

As stated in another thread, I am impressed by how good my NAPA Ultra Premium rotors look after 20 months. Here is a link to their description. They mention 100% polymer coating, 300+ hours of salt spray, and have some post-flood pictures.

https://www.napabrakes.com/products/rotors/ultra-premium.html

I'm sorry no pics today, it's overnighting in my trusted mechanic's shop for a new timing belt.

But to answer they OP's original question, they are coated in the vents, and so far that seems to be working well.

I could probably count the times I have replaced a rotor or rotors in the fingers of one hand & still have a finger or two left over ( and maybe a thumb ) . On our personal cars .

First time I did a disc brake pad slap on my car was a 69 Galaxy 500 some time in the 70's . Took me a while to figure out how to get the caliper pistons back far enough to get the new pads & old caliper back on the rotor .

Life got a lot simpler when I finally got Wifey to stop driving the car when they went metal to metal . No more new rotors after that . :)

Originally Posted by supton
….In this pic the rotors aren't that bad,.....
I guess it's all relative, to my very infrequent liquid brine region eye, they look pretty gnarly.

Anyway, I installed the Raybestos RPT fully coated rotors on the fronts of an Accord. Though rust not an issue here, they were a good price at Rock Auto so gave them a shot. Claim 300+ hours salt spray testing. As pic shows in addition to front and back, vanes coated as well.
https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/rotors-drums/element-3-rotors.html

I'd agree with cronk's comment. Might not stop forever, but should significantly slow the rust. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Keep in mind, unlike fully coated, the ecoated/ (painted) like Wagner and Centric don't cover the inner and outer edges of the rotor surfaces not touched by the pads. Read a review or two noting rust possible in those areas.
[Linked Image]

If the rotors in the pics are off the 1999 Camry... on Rockauto ..

For $28 you can get a PAIR of Raybestos uncoated front rotors

For $34 you can get a PAIR of Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors

The way they are pricing them the last 3 sets of rotors i have replaced have been coated.. its almost a no brainer.

FYI a PAIR of Wearever uncoated rotors at advance auto are $84

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Supton, please forgive me for piggybacking onto your thread.

No offense taken--I'm curious myself. I've studiously avoided coated rotors in the past, as I don't see the point in them--I have been just replacing rotors with pads when I do brakes. After about 5 years they get chewed up and seem to be in need of it.

5 year old / 125k rotor on my wife's car. Would have run longer but one of the pads started showing delamination--time to replace, despite only half worn.

camryrotor.PNG

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
If the rotors in the pics are off the 1999 Camry... on Rockauto ..

For $28 you can get a PAIR of Raybestos uncoated front rotors

For $34 you can get a PAIR of Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors

The way they are pricing them the last 3 sets of rotors i have replaced have been coated.. its almost a no brainer.

FYI a PAIR of Wearever uncoated rotors at advance auto are $84

Yeah, I didn't want to get coated rotors but I did get the Raybestos 96219, which appear to have the hat painted. I forget my thinking on the subject, I think I just wanted Raybestos pads and rotors on this job, as I was being cheap. [I usually do OEM on my Toyota's but I've been rather impressed with the bite on these pads, enough so that I might start using the EHT's on future brake jobs.] I'll be curious what they look at at tire rotation time, as it's almost been 5k and 2 months.

Originally Posted by cronk
Yes, I always buy coated. They will still rust eventually, but will last much longer.

I've been avoiding coated rotors. My cars run steelies and I can't see them--when I had alloys on my Jetta I could, but I just didn't care. After a year it all looks trashed. But I've noticed over the years that the vent area tends to build up a lip which then wears into the pad; I'm starting to wonder if I should hammer that rust off when it builds up. Seems wrong but I can't put my finger on why... so then I wonder if I should get coated rotors and avoid the lip.

My truck does have steelies but with the big openings on them. Kinda bugs me to see the rust on the braking area when I look; I have to drive that every couple of weeks to work the brakes and keep the rust knocked off.

IIRC these pics are of my Camry. Dealership never lubricated the pad ears and the inside pad wore at an angle, this must have been around 2yr, as I recall doing the job with it at 60k. I did a pad slap with Federated pads, but when I found them delaminating after 2 years and 40k or so I did the full job. Best pics of the lip I have, didn't always have a smartphone.

camry2.PNG

camry3.PNG

Last edited:
The coated rotors may not help much with the rust lip, as most coated rotors are not coa r ed on the machined surface. It does help in keeping the fins from clogging up with rust scale.

That rust is just unbelievable.

You'd be shocked at what the brakes look like on my Camry. I haven't pulled the wheels off in 2 years or so, but I guarantee it's pretty uneventful.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
That rust is just unbelievable.

You'd be shocked at what the brakes look like on my Camry. I haven't pulled the wheels off in 2 years or so, but I guarantee it's pretty uneventful.

I don't miss living in the Northeast! That's pretty standard for any vehicle up there.

Yeah, it's brutal. But I'd rather shovel snow than bake cookies in my car.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back