Pics, ONE oil change in 45K miles (2015 Kia Optima 2.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
A dingbat I graduated with did something similar to her '89 Grand Am. We all stood underneath the car in awe as the tech scraped and scooped out the cold, gelatinous oil with the pan removed.

GM warrantied her engine. 25,000 miles on the factory fill. GM was informed of the facts at the get-go. They didn't send a rep. They didn't argue. They just approved the replacement.

There was a collective "WHA??" on everyones' face in the shop that day. She may have made it longer had it not been below 0 in Wyoming at the time.

Don't complicate things by trying to apply logic to what automakers, or dealerships do. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Would be nice to have real official documentation of this warranty replacement in the event that you have warranty engine work denied and you have performed all the necessary maintenance.....

I do not know what fantasy world where the required maintenance is performed and warranty is denied but do not let anyone else in there.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Lady from Maryland says it all...

You were the only one brave enough to say it out loud!!

Ahem.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Holy crap...doesn't even look that bad!

Maryland...that speaks volumes. Owner is from the DC area, where drivers are notorious for abusing their vehicles (apologies to BITOGers that live in the area and actually DO maintenance).

Looks like the varnish caused the problem.
lol.gif

I saw this numerous times, when I was a Master Tech at a Toyota dealer. People would buy or more often lease say, a Camry, and then NEVER change the oil. 30-50k down the road they would have 'issues'. Unsurprisingly, these were often the so-called sludge prone engines; 1MZ-FE, 5S-FE, etc.

I still think those engines got an undeserved reputation for sludge, when it was mostly severe owner maintenance neglect.

Originally Posted by 02SE
I saw this numerous times, when I was a Master Tech at a Toyota dealer. People would buy or more often lease say, a Camry, and then NEVER change the oil. 30-50k down the road they would have 'issues'. Unsurprisingly, these were often the so-called sludge prone engines; 1MZ-FE, 5S-FE, etc.

I still think those engines got an undeserved reputation for sludge, when it was mostly severe owner maintenance neglect.

Same here. Flush out everything and pray it didn't smoke cause they got new motor. At that time Toyota recommended 7500 mile oil changes with conventional oil. I always thought something else was going on.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by PimTac
Kia is being very generous here. The lady is obviously a gamer.

This type of "warranty" work is not uncommon. This is why when posters state using xxx grade or filter avoid and or reputable brand of fluid warranty I disagree.

The Writer and Tech alluded to this as well. They said as long as the engine internals don't show sludge, they could care less what the owner used. "We don't expect people to understand motor oil labels except for viscosity." The Tech said it was the same way when he worked for different brands as well.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Good stuff, thanks for posting wemay.
Isn't this one of the problem engines? If so, that has to be why Kia covered it.

Yes, it is one of the problem engines. That is probably a big factor in why Kia is covering it, since some idiot may try to claim that the engine defects were a factor here. They don't need someone whining to the media or NHTSA over refusing a repair on something that has even a small relation to an active recall, even though in reality this is purely a case of owner negligence.

It still makes me mad though. I'd rather see them offer goodwill repairs to people with out of warranty failures who actually cared for their cars, instead of wasting money on idiots who are too dumb or lazy to maintain their car. Warranty claims like this increase prices for the rest of us who are responsible.

Originally Posted by addyguy
On a serious note, this is very deliberate on Kia's part.

A lot of 2.4's are failing b/c of machining or assembly problems. Even though this wasn't caused by that, if it gets out that a 2.4L engine failed and it wasn't covered, Hyundai will wear it, even though it was the owners fault.

They are producing thousands of 'extra' 2.4L engines for this - it just gets lumped into all those engines going out.

01.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Originally Posted by addyguy
On a serious note, this is very deliberate on Kia's part.

A lot of 2.4's are failing b/c of machining or assembly problems. Even though this wasn't caused by that, if it gets out that a 2.4L engine failed and it wasn't covered, Hyundai will wear it, even though it was the owners fault.

They are producing thousands of 'extra' 2.4L engines for this - it just gets lumped into all those engines going out.

01.gif

Neglect and fraud get someone a brand new 2.4. I understand the above, but everyone buying a new Kia Hyundai is paying for this. Another reason, when anyone asks I tell them to stay far away from that brand. New or used. I will vote with my wallet and not even consider that brand. End of rant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
She must have has a cute face and a nice big pair of .....Ed

Probably bolt-on aftermarket parts! Personally, I go for OEM.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Crispysea

laugh.gif

lol.gif
Silicone is never better than organic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
A dingbat I graduated with did something similar to her '89 Grand Am. We all stood underneath the car in awe as the tech scraped and scooped out the cold, gelatinous oil with the pan removed.

GM warrantied her engine. 25,000 miles on the factory fill. GM was informed of the facts at the get-go. They didn't send a rep. They didn't argue. They just approved the replacement.

There was a collective "WHA??" on everyones' face in the shop that day. She may have made it longer had it not been below 0 in Wyoming at the time.

Don't complicate things by trying to apply logic to what automakers, or dealerships do. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Would be nice to have real official documentation of this warranty replacement in the event that you have warranty engine work denied and you have performed all the necessary maintenance.....

I do not know what fantasy world where the required maintenance is performed and warranty is denied but do not let anyone else in there.

Wow, do you live under a rock or something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3zjhe6/kia_dealership_refusing_to_honor_warranty/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5vl8k4/kia_is_denying_warranty_trying_to_charge_6700/

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/6b5zp3/2015_kia_optima_30k_miles_engine_failure_warranty/

Originally Posted by edyvw
I am maybe missing point, but should not be easier to change oil than download template for receipts, forge them etc?

This.

I guess some people go to great lengths to be dishonest and save a few bucks.

Oh yea! And the SJ's are assembling outside his door right now. But ya know what it was my first thought as well.

Originally Posted by Driz

Oh yea! And the SJ's are assembling outside his door right now. But ya know what it was my first thought as well.

SJ's???

I used to live in the Panhandle of WV and seen all the migrant Baltimore trash move in and take over in the last decade.. They really are a different breed of people (no offense to you MD folk with brains lol)

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Crispysea

laugh.gif

lol.gif
Silicone is never better than organic.

Synthetic (ie silicone) & a little varnish (ie spray tan) = you can return anything anytime!
shocked2.gif

In engines, the above combo = Many miles.
It's a universal win win combination everywhere
grin2.gif

What a disgrace. They should have kicked her to the curb, she's never going to learn and it's just going to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back