Can 0w20 handle high RPMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of posts from me in regards to high RPMs and which oil to use...I apologize. Perhaps I'm overthinking this...2 tacomas...a 3.5 and a 2.7...both 2019s...both spec 0w20 but allow for a heavier grade for high speed driving.

With my travels, both average about 3-3500 RPMs. Any reason to think the recommended 0w20s won't handle it? Will a 30 or maybe a 40 do it better? Both must make a 10k oci. Toyota does make an amendment to run a heavier grade. I can't find any UOAs with my usage to point me in the correct direction.

Thats not high rpm.I run 5-6k and run redline 0w20 and worry none whatsoever. If your up north and want a good sn rated oil try M1 0w20EP or 0w30 M1. It will do 10k as long as you get it up to temperature and aren't short tripping it the entire time. After warranty is up look to redline 0w20. Flows to -76F and has a flashpoint of 450F. Nice trucks.Love their trucks but dislike their cars.Have a nice weekend.

Both trucks see lots of highway driving...and lots of off road driving...and will see starts of -30F several times every winter.

Doesn't the consideration of high RPM depend on the engine in question? Perhaps I should just stick with 0w20...you make a valid point. Im over thinking this...but then...i am on an oil forum at 2:30 am

3000-3500rpms in a N/A gasser....thats way to much...you will blow that engine
laugh.gif

Try 10w60 grade
laugh.gif

Yes, you are worrying too much about it. Until you are much closer to the redline, it's nothing to lose sleep over. Mechanical Stress level is roughly related to the rpm squared. You are only at 30% stress level at 3500 rpm if the redline is 6k. Plenty of margins left.

Oil analysis are vehicle specific. So even if you can find the same make of trucks and same oil, the results don't apply to your particular truck.

Look for any oil that is certified for Mercedes 229.5, or bmw LL01, or Porsche A40. 10k or more long drain is a requirement for these specs, and your trucks aren't more demanding on oil so you will be good.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Lots of posts from me in regards to high RPMs and which oil to use...I apologize. Perhaps I'm overthinking this...2 tacomas...a 3.5 and a 2.7...both 2019s...both spec 0w20 but allow for a heavier grade for high speed driving.

With my travels, both average about 3-3500 RPMs. Any reason to think the recommended 0w20s won't handle it? Will a 30 or maybe a 40 do it better? Both must make a 10k oci. Toyota does make an amendment to run a heavier grade. I can't find any UOAs with my usage to point me in the correct direction.

The parts in red are your answer. I'd be using 5W-30 in those vehicles regardless of the driving conditions. Toyota Engineers know that a more viscous oil protects better ... even if you're not doing high RPM that's still true.

why does Toyota make the caveat of high speed driving requiring a heavier grade?

Because Toyota Engineers know that a more viscous oil protects better ... mic drop.
grin2.gif

What kind of ice box are you in? That may determine 0W or 5W.
If in 5W ice box ( down to -22°F), I would use a very good 5Wx30 and ditch the 0Wx20.
If colder, there is 0Wx30 ...
0Wx20 oils have a good base oil, hence using a good 5Wx30. As much as I don't care for 0Wx20, I would take it over many 5Wx30's out there.

If you don't mind my asking, why are your engines revving so high? I know trucks tend to be geared a bit lower than cars, but my 2018 Toyota Camry 2.5 turns right around 2,000 RPM at 75-80 MPH. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing package revs even lower than that. For me to get either of them revving that high on the highway, I would be running well over 100 MPH in top gear. Have you changed the rear end ratio on your trucks?

why does Toyota make the caveat of high speed driving requiring a heavier grade?

Toyota is referring to racing or Autobahn-like driving. In other words continuously flooring it or pushing the engine as hard as it will go.

Originally Posted by umungus1122

Toyota is referring to racing or Autobahn-like driving. In other words continuously flooring it or pushing the engine as hard as it will go.

In general high(er) speeds = high(er) rpm and higher oil temperature so you don't want a weak oil. Need a thicker or higher hths oi and not a resource conserving oil.

Go by engine noise. If it gets clattery drain one or two quarts and replace with the next grade higher of the same oil. Some engine are looses here or there some tight all around. The engine will likely be a bit nasty in the 500- 3000 mile break in area then settle down outside of there.

I would run a euro synthetic meeting bmw LL01, MB229.5x - no use fooling with marginal ILSAC oils.

Originally Posted by billt460
If you don't mind my asking, why are your engines revving so high? I know trucks tend to be geared a bit lower than cars, but my 2018 Toyota Camry 2.5 turns right around 2,000 RPM at 75-80 MPH. My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a towing package revs even lower than that. For me to get either of them revving that high on the highway, I would be running well over 100 MPH in top gear. Have you changed the rear end ratio on your trucks?

The gear ratio on the automatic V6 Tacoma is 3.91 and the tire diameter is about 30.5" depending on your option package. The curb weight of an empty Tacoma is about 4400 lbs. All of this makes it impossible to compare against a Camry. However the real issue is the 3.5L Atkinson cycle engine. It develops insufficient torque at lower RPM for the vehicle to hold a higher gear in anything but the flattest and windless of terrain. I am able to stay in 6th only on perfectly flat sections of highway. In 6th I am turning about 1750 RPM at my normal highway speed (65 MPH). At the slightest grade and certainly in hilly terrain the transmission downshifts to 5 and then pretty much to 4 immediately after that so I am now at a touch over 3000 RPM for any hilly / graded sections of the road. We have a road in my neck of the woods called the Coquihalla, it is a high speed (120 kph -> 75 MPH) mountainous road and my Tacoma will drop to 3rd on many sections (5000 RPM) for sustained periods (15 minutes). This poor low end torque curve / high revving powertrain took a long time for me to get accustomed to coming from GM V8 trucks and I still am not comfortable with the number of shift cycles the Tacoma transmission performs in hilly terrain (I manually select lower gears in hilly terrain to avoid hunting) but it is what it is. All of this might sound gloomy but it is far from gloomy for me as my Tacoma utterly cleans up in fuel economy which is exactly what I wanted. My wife's daily city commute figures are about 26 MPG (imperial so 21.5 US MPG) and on a highway trip we get about 29 MPG (imperial so 24 MPG US). I have towed 6200lbs of landscaping material with the vehicle with no issue, albeit at a higher RPM than my GM trucks, but no harm. We needed a truck that was more a grocery getter than work / trailer hauler but still need to occasionally haul 6000 lb loads. Apart from the hunting of the transmission I am happy with the Atkinson powertrain combination.

Oh, by the way, I use 0w20 year round and would use that even hauling 6200 lbs across North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back