Odd issue in Tacoma 3.5L V6 (2GR-FKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a check engine light a few weeks ago and OBD scanner indicated Code P0024 - B Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance. I did some internet research (TacomaWorld forum) and several posts indicated that it could be caused by dirty oil or particles - several had experienced same, dealer changed oil and code went away. So I changed the oil, and lo and behold it cleared after 20 or so miles. Anyone ever experienced something like this?

More info: I sent the oil to Blackstone, and they didn't see any problems, it's consistent with prior changes. I've been using Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 and Amsoil filters since first change at 2,700 miles. At 27,000 now. I did notice that the Blackstone reports show that the Amsoil has a higher viscosity, both at 100 and 210, than did the TGMO factory fill (not a huge difference but a difference nonetheless). Could this be a factor with the code??? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I have never experienced this bit I keep my 2gr fks on a 5k OCI,

How long was your run of the Amsoil signature series engine oil before the code came on?

The code means -The Oil Control Valve (OCV) to the bank 2 camshaft is stuck closed or has clogged passages.

Or -The camshaft phaser is stuck in the advanced position due to damage or defects
Seeing how an oil change solved the problem it was the first.

Blackstone will not pick up soot and non metallic solids that are higher with GDI.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
I have never experienced this bit I keep my 2gr fks on a 5k OCI,

How long was your run of the Amsoil signature series engine oil before the code came on?

The code means -The Oil Control Valve (OCV) to the bank 2 camshaft is stuck closed or has clogged passages.

Or -The camshaft phaser is stuck in the advanced position due to damage or defects
Seeing how an oil change solved the problem it was the first.

Blackstone will not pick up soot and non metallic solids that are higher with GDI.

Thanks Bryanccfshr, that makes sense. I had about 5,600 miles on Amsoil at the time. Previous OCI had been 9,700 and TBN was still strong after that, so I was planning to go longer. Pretty sure I'm going to a 5K OCI from now on though....

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
They are very quirky engines...might not be a bad idea.

I've been getting that impression. What are some other quirks you've come across?

Issues reported by some people are dead spots in the power band. I have 2018 and have not experienced this. What I do know is it required more throttle tip in effort to get into the engines capability,
It can be lightly feathered manually along, for some nice 25 mpg runs on 50-60 mph cruises.

It can also produce a lot of hp fast, and you will pay to feed those horses in gas mileage.

At anytime it can be in different phases of timing, intake valve overlap and direct or dual injection,
If it is not responding fast enough just give it more throttle. And it will give you what you ask immediately.

Lot of folks would say the low end is poor. There are times where I am cruising 35-55 in 6t and the rpms are loping song 1200-1500 and it's obvious the intake valve lapse is goi g on and it is running on a shorter intake stroke. The mileage begins improving immediately in this mode of operation.
I think it's an interesting engine with some software bugs that needed to be shaken out with the evolution from FSE to FKS. The variables increased exponentially. Some people have gotten tuning upgrades, and Toyota has done TSB software updates to address them.
I test drove a 2016 when they came out and didn't like it. I tried this 2018 and bought it. So I dont disbelieve the complaints about stuttering or hesitant acceleration, but it has not been present in the one I purchased. Once you learn it's hapoy places (low load (not much wind resistance) 1200-1800 rpm) moderate load 2200 higher wind load aka 80 2200 (5th) 2000(6th down hill and tailwind) 4th @3500 rpm inclines or indirect or headwind.)
Some people "hear" the cleaning cycle,at lights or idle. I rarely can tell unless I am watching the tach and see the shift. While sitting in a drive through or at a light.

I have ran Castrol magnetec 5w30 as an intermediate oil change in this engine and noticed not operational difference, (it was in the sump and Highs were in the 1teens.)
I am about to do another intermediate changes and try 0w40. I have had good luck with it in the 1gr fe.

Originally Posted by 2019StingrayZ51
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
They are very quirky engines...might not be a bad idea.

I've been getting that impression. What are some other quirks you've come across?

First and foremost its a very complex engine. The 3.5 has had some teething issues with cam position sensors leaving them on the side of the road as well as vibrations and timing cover leaks (very costly to repair leaks). They also don't make very much power down low. Ive considered trading mine in and and basically building a TRD out of a truck with the 2.7. The 2.7 is Toyotas must durable engine.

I have no idea why they went with this motor over the trusted 4.0 of the previous generation. That was a great motor...and still is...i have it a 4runner

Yeah the engine management system requires accurate information on a continuous basis.
The power band curve on this engine is more of an ink blot test, because- it depends. But just like any 1gr I have owned it starts every time and it does exactly what I need.

I did just see about the timing cover issue on TW myself. Will Keep an eye out for it.
I still regret selling my 2017 TRD Pro 4 runner though. It was a simple and sturdy as is the 2018 TRD Pro 4Runner. in the garage. It's nice to have a little truck that gets a little better gas milage,

After having the 2GR-FKS in my Highlander I thought it was a great engine but the transmission was awful UA80E 8-Speed direct Shift but it's more like a direct Jerk. Maybe the software is different in that vehicle because it has a different transmission but it was really smooth and responsive and lots of power when you mashed your foot into the floor. (Engine)

I almost bought a 4-Runner instead but my spouse liked the updated fancy screens and such in the Highlander over the 4-Runner so we went with that. BIG MISTAKE.

Anyways... When the Caravan is done I will consider a 4-Runner as the next vehicle assuming it doesn't have the same 8-speed issues as the Highlander had. I hope they don't screw up the styling on the 4-Runner in that time because a lot of their other models are really *****.
37.gif

Last edited:
You should be good through 2020 with a 4 runner. the same 1gr fe drivetrain with a solid 5 speed, a dinosaur. A reliable simple and functional dinasour.

Originally Posted by StevieC
After having the 2GR-FKS in my Highlander I thought it was a great engine but the transmission was awful UA80E 8-Speed direct Shift but it's more like a direct Jerk. Maybe the software is different in that vehicle because it has a different transmission but it was really smooth and responsive and lots of power when you mashed your foot into the floor. (Engine)

I almost bought a 4-Runner instead but my spouse liked the updated fancy screens and such in the Highlander over the 4-Runner so we went with that. BIG MISTAKE.

Anyways... When the Caravan is done I will consider a 4-Runner as the next vehicle assuming it doesn't have the same 8-speed issues as the Highlander had. I hope they don't screw up the styling on the 4-Runner in that time because a lot of their other models are really *****.
37.gif

Camshaft position sensors, as well as crank shaft position sensors, are magnetic sensors. I don't understand how dirty oil or particles can cause it to malfunction, or how changing the oil can fix the malfunction. Can someone please educate me on this?

Originally Posted by oghl
Camshaft position sensors, as well as crank shaft position sensors, are magnetic sensors. I don't understand how dirty oil or particles can cause it to malfunction, or how changing the oil can fix the malfunction. Can someone please educate me on this?

its not a sensor issue. The issue is the hydraulic cam actuators don't perform the same with oil weights they weren't designed for. Dirty oil also plays a huge role. They can either stick too far engaged or not engaged far enough.

I had a 2016 tacoma 3.5, and I work for a GM dealer. I just used the mobil bulk "dexos" semi-syn and I never had an issue. 2500-3000 ocl's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back