Best Motor Oil & Oil Filter for a 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think would be the best engine oil and oil filter for a 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid under my driving conditions?

The car's 4-cylinder engine is not a turbo, but it has dual direct injection and a 14 to 1 compression ratio. Toyota's description: 2.5-Liter Dynamic Force 4-Cylinder
DOHC 16-Valve D-4S Dual Injection with variable valve timing and 176 HP @ 5,700 rpm.

The owner's manual specifies API SN/RC 0W-16 full synthetic engine oil. It does not list a GF requirement, but as I understand it, the API SN/RC requirement is equal to GF-5. GF-5+ is probably not needed, as it's not a turbo engine.

We live in southeastern Virginia. The temperatures that we experience are in the 10 - 100 Fahrenheit range.

The car will be driven moderately, with about 2/3's of the miles driven in town on trips of 5 - 20 miles and the other 1/3 of the miles driven on interstate trips in the 150 - 500 mile range. It will be driven about 10,000 - 12,000 miles per year.

The owner's manual requires 10,000 mile oil change intervals, but I intend to change the oil and oil filter at 5,000 mile intervals.

I don't consider the oil or oil filter cost a primary concern, but I would like you guys opinions as to what oil and oil filters would provide the longest engine life for this car and engine under my driving circumstances. I think the frequent starting and stopping of the engine in the car's hybrid system and Toyota extracting 176 HP out of a 2.5 liter engine with a 0W-16 oil would make the choice of engine oil and filter very important to obtaining long engine life.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions. They will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes. I get 4 tire rotations (at 5,000 miles) and 2 oil changes (at 10,000 miles). But I intend to change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals. I'm not sure if I want to stay with Toyota's oil and filters or not. That is the reason for my post.

Originally Posted by Frisky
Yes. I get 4 tire rotations (at 5,000 miles) and 2 oil changes (at 10,000 miles). But I intend to change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals. I'm not sure if I want to stay with Toyota's oil and filters or not. That is the reason for my post.

Is that still a cartridge filter or did the Avalon go back to the spin on?

Good question. I ordered a filter and other accessories from a Toyota dealer online and they sent a cartridge oil filter. Multiple online Toyota dealers all sell cartridge oil filters.

But Rock Auto shows 7 oil filters and only 1 of them is a cartridge and the other 6 are spin on.

I couldn't even see the oil filter on the car. I guess you have to remove a plastic bottom engine cover to see it. The owner's manual doesn't mention it. I guess Toyota thinks that everyone will see the dealer for oil and oil filter changes, and that no buyers are capable of changing it themselves.

Thanks, that is what I am trying to learn about. That is, is the Toyota oil and filter the best way to go.

My first Toyota and my first Hybrid, not to mention the 0W-16 weight engine oil.

No reason to 5000K OCI with your driving habits. With a hybrid you use the engine even less than a normal vehicle, and Toyotas are pretty easy on oil. All you are doing is creating excess waste oil and possibly wearing the engine more, so I'd just stick with the recommended 10K OCI. If it makes you feel better do the first one at 5K and 10K thereafter.

According to Rock Auto the Fram oil filter equivalent is the 4967, a spin-on filter, and the best Fram filter is the XG4967. This filter would be overkill for 5,000 miles but it sounds like that's what you want. I have not seen 0w16 on the shelves in my area yet, so no recommendations in that regard.

You're probably best off going to the Toyota dealer, and having the changes done as early as you like with their oil and filters. No harm in that.

As for viscosity, I would have to say please don't look for this forum to give you a reliable answer, for now just trust the Toyota engineers. They designed and built the car.

Last edited:
I am mainly concerned with the recommended 10,000-mile Toyota OCI due to the thin weight of the 0W-16 oil and the amount of start/stops of the engine in city driving.

I am seeking you guys thoughts as this is a new situation to me.

I appreciate your opinion and you taking the time to answer my concerns.

I hope that they do indeed use a spin-on oil filter. I find it hard to believe that they were still using cartridge oil filters until at least 2018. I remember them from the early 1960's cars. they are very messy.

I emailed Toyota's customer service trying to confirm which filter type is correct this morning, but they haven't replied yet.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
According to Rock Auto the Fram oil filter equivalent is the 4967, a spin-on filter, and the best Fram filter is the XG4967. This filter would be overkill for 5,000 miles but it sounds like that's what you want. I have not seen 0w16 on the shelves in my area yet, so no recommendations in that regard.

You're probably best off going to the Toyota dealer, and having the changes done as early as you like with their oil and filters. No harm in that.

As for viscosity, I would have to say please don't look for this forum to give you a reliable answer, for now just trust the Toyota engineers. They designed and built the car.

I do intend to stay with the 0w-16 weight oil, I think that Toyota has been using that weight on there cars sold in Japan for many years without any problems.

You are wise to stay with 5k oil changes with GDI DS4 systems.

As for viscosity, Toyota gives you leeway, I don't think you need it in your case. Congrats on the vehicle.

From your owners manual

SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good start- ing in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W- 16 at the next oil change.
Oil viscosity (0W-16 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-16 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold
startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of
the engine in cold weather.
• The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the
oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

I think potentially buying the Toyota oil yourself... The 0w16 and then have them put it in would be the way to go.... I'd bet some good money the dealership uses a bulk 0w20 or even more likely 5w30.... There have been Nissan dealerships that when members on here did a used oil analysis found indeed the lovely dealership had been using bulk Mobil Special
.. Nothing really wrong with Mobil Special 5w30... But it was not what oil the anticipated it being... So if I were you... Buy the real 0w16 from them. Then have them put it in.

By the way.... A lovely dealership in Hampton Va put plugs in my lady's grandmother's Camry that were not the Toyota plugs for that car... I got that surprise when changing those plugs out at 73k miles... The 98 Camry has a waste spark design for it. It even shows a picture of the correct double ground plug in the owners manual. Yeah.. I pulled a single ground out of it. They likely charged her grandmother for the wrong plug which I bet we're more expensive. While putting in cheaper ac Delco plugs... So, in your circumstance... I would not trust them to put the actual oil you want in there. It would be like buying fish of the day special... You want flounder... And you get Bluefish...

Originally Posted by bbhero
I think potentially buying the Toyota oil yourself... The 0w16 and then have them put it in would be the way to go.... I'd bet some good money the dealership uses a bulk 0w20 or even more likely 5w30.... There have been Nissan dealerships that when members on here did a used oil analysis found indeed the lovely dealership had been using bulk Mobil Special
.. Nothing really wrong with Mobil Special 5w30... But it was not what oil the anticipated it being... So if I were you... Buy the real 0w16 from them. Then have them put it in.

By the way.... A lovely dealership in Hampton Va put plugs in my lady's grandmother's Camry that were not the Toyota plugs for that car... I got that surprise when changing those plugs out at 73k miles... The 98 Camry has a waste spark design for it. It even shows a picture of the correct double ground plug in the owners manual. Yeah.. I pulled a single ground out of it. They likely charged her grandmother for the wrong plug which I bet we're more expensive. While putting in cheaper ac Delco plugs... So, in your circumstance... I would not trust them to put the actual oil you want in there. It would be like buying fish of the day special... You want flounder... And you get Bluefish...

Thanks for the heads up about "a lovely dealership in Hampton, VA".

The Hampton Toyota are the closest Toyota dealer. I bought the Toyota from a dealer 160 miles away to get it both equipped the way that I wanted it and a great price. It's my first Toyota and I haven't chosen a local Toyota dealer yet. I had already read reviews and decided on using another area Toyota Dealer for and factory service that I might need.

I'm comfortable with the Toyota oil change schedule and oil grade. Our dealer has many hybrids with with over 250,000 miles, all serviced at the Toyota intervals with OE filters and bulk 0W20. Getting the oil up to temp on a weekly basis is the only concern I have. It's hard to do with a hybrid. Some time on the highway helps.

Sam

What do you mean by best oil? I have met many people with 400,000 miles on their Toyotas running what ever oil and filter is on sale or what ever oil and filters the Quickie lube place use. I will say the best oil is which ever oil you choose that is from a major blender and has the proper specs.

My co-worker has about 396,000 miles on his 2005 Toyota Camry and uses Super Tech FS 5W-30 with a Super Tech filter since day 1 when he bought his car new in Florida.

I got first Toyota and hybrid back in 2017. I decided to stick to the 10,000 mile oil change. A good oil should stay in grade till them. I would just use a full synthetic 0w16 API SN/RC of your choice. Really don't believe one better than the other. Get an oil filter that capable to go the OCI you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back