Posting Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
The forum software works smooth with iPads when using the Cloud. My iPhone is set to send my photos to the Cloud automatically, my iPad picks them up and when I post them, the forum software directs me to my stored photos automatically. What I need though is a way to scroll through my photos by date on my IPad. Right now it's just linear with time and I might have to scroll through two years of photos to find that one I want.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
How do we post an Photo in a Message?

You can't unless you post it in another regular forum post then copy the link.

Johnny,

Or link to it from some other source. Eg: [ img] http://www.somewhere.com/image.png[/img]

You could always upload to the "Test" section and then click "quote" on your post in that thread to get the URL to your image so you can use it in another thread.
If you need help with this PM me, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
How do we post an Photo in a Message?

You can't unless you post it in another regular forum post then copy the link.

Johnny,

Or link to it from some other source. Eg: [ img] http://www.somewhere.com/image.png[/img]

You could always upload to the "Test" section and then click "quote" on your post in that thread to get the URL to your image so you can use it in another thread.
If you need help with this PM me, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

It will not quote uploaded forum pics.
You have to right click on them and copy the image address.

Can I add a photo-related issue to this thread ? It's not the same as the above though.... Here goes:

Why does the forum software re-size images from their original size ? I understand doing it for the inline image - makes perfect sense and is preferred so that large images don't blow out the margins or make people scroll sideways to read text. Why though, when you click on the image and it opens in a new 'window', it's the same size as the inline image ? With this setup, there's zero point in clicking it. In ALL OTHER forum software, you get the full-size image to look at.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Why does the forum software re-size images from their original size ? I understand doing it for the inline image - makes perfect sense and is preferred so that large images don't blow out the margins or make people scroll sideways to read text. Why though, when you click on the image and it opens in a new 'window', it's the same size as the inline image ? With this setup, there's zero point in clicking it. In ALL OTHER forum software, you get the full-size image to look at.

I'm not seeing what you're describing.

Take the first image in this thread for example:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...23/barrett-jackson-2019-pics#Post4984723

When I right click on that image and choose "view image" I can see it in its full resolution (1600x1200).

Now, if you're viewing it on a 4K monitor, the inline image is probably already at its max resolution, so you won't see anything larger when you click "view image".

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

When I right click on that image and choose "view image" I can see it in its full resolution (1600x1200).

That's different plus I would never think to right-click and choose the view image option. I'm talking about photos that are not exactly "thumbnails" but ones that you can left-click and they automatically open in a forum software function window (has the < > buttons (maybe) but definitely has an "X" in the corner for closing this pop-up window). Let me find an example....

Last edited:
Scroll up a bit to the post with the Mustang GT posted by Silverado12. Hover over that image and see how your cursor turns into a hand with a pointing finger ?

Now, if I right-click and view image, the image is still the same size so I guess the uploaded image was relatively small to begin with.

Figured out why the Barrett thread acts different - those images aren't uploaded to the site. They are links. That's why you can't left-click them to see the behavior I'm referring to either.

Look at this thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4985838#Post4985838

Point at the image and left-click. With every other forum software, one is accustomed to seeing a larger or even full-size version of the image. With this software, it shows you a smaller version !

Testing a bit and I see what it does. It makes the pop-up image window fit your browser window.

It looks like the forum picture uploader automatically downsizes the image to 768 pixels max on the longer side, so you can't see the original larger version when you click on it.

20180302_D72_7518.jpg

The photos in that thread are hosted by tinypic, not uploaded to the BITOG server.

It looks like the forum picture uploader automatically downsizes the image to 768 pixels max on the longer side, so you can't see the original larger version when you click on it.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to although I didn't measure the size. It definitely appears to have a fixed, max size which really isn't the point with clicking a thumbnail in order to see a larger version (at least how every other forum s/w I've encountered does).

This has to be a configuration oversight at BITOG. Probably just the default setting ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
This has to be a configuration oversight at BITOG.

Or a deliberate effort to keep the file size down and reduce server storage space and bandwidth.

Can embed photos within text now like before. Not sure if that was pointed out before ... if so I missed it. So there are two ways to upload photos, but if you want to embed them within the body of post text then use the "Upload inline images" button on the toolbar. The other way of uploading images forces them all to be posted at the end of the page, and if the post is quoted those photos will not appear in the quoted post. The other way (upload inline images button) will show the photos in quoted posts like it use to.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back