Autozone will not take ATF/Manual Trans Fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding antifreeze: several years ago when I was preparing for my first-ever self-performed cooling system flush, I called the city and asked them where I could dispose of used antifreeze. The answer was something like: "hey, don't quote me on this, but just pour it down the drain - a little bit of antifreeze in the sewer actually helps the system." I've never worried about it since then.

quote:

Originally posted by acovington:
Regarding antifreeze: several years ago when I was preparing for my first-ever self-performed cooling system flush, I called the city and asked them where I could dispose of used antifreeze. The answer was something like: "hey, don't quote me on this, but just pour it down the drain - a little bit of antifreeze in the sewer actually helps the system." I've never worried about it since then.

thanks for the tip. it's a pain in the azz to get rid of antifreeze. I'm not paying no one to recycle it for me. I've always put brake fluid, oil, atf, and anything car fluid related in the recycle tank.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
Just leave it by the front door after hours. If they sell it they should take it back...

Gee, and I thought I was the only sneaky guy doing this
wink.gif

I've "abandoned" jugs of used oil in Advance Auto parts before. I was waiting around for someone to help me ... service was sucktacular ... so I set it down and walked out of the store.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Funny. None of the guys at my local Autozone know what manual transmission fluid is.
lol.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I specifically asked our city about dumping antifreeze in the sanitary drain, and they advise against this practice. A search on the internet shows that most municipalities forbid this practise. Once in a while you hear that it's okay in the sanitary drain.

Good question. Ethylene glycol and di-ethylene glycol are quite toxic (the stuff's he11 on the central nervous and renal systems), and the sweet taste attracts dogs and cats. My daughter lost a cat I gave her for her birthday to the stuff because her new step-daddy left a pan of drained coolant under his car. But, pouring the stuff into the sanitary drain (which is seperate from the storm drain system) is at worst gonna lead to the demise of a few sewer rats. (Are they also on the EPA's list of endangered species? I wonder whether the tons of ammonia-laden urine and disease-bearing fecal material flushed daily should be banned from the municipal sanitary drain systems, too...) As you stated, antifreeze will naturally break down in the presence of bacteria at the treatment plant.

Treatment plants use a biological floc that breaks down the solids in municipal wastewater. Toxic chemicals can kill the good bacteria in the floc and reduce the efficiency of the plant. If the floc dies completely, the plant can be down for a week or more, and it would have to either transport the collected sewage to another plant or dump it untreated.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I specifically asked our city about dumping antifreeze in the sanitary drain, and they advise against this practice. A search on the internet shows that most municipalities forbid this practise. Once in a while you hear that it's okay in the sanitary drain.

Good question. Ethylene glycol and di-ethylene glycol are quite toxic (the stuff's he11 on the central nervous and renal systems), and the sweet taste attracts dogs and cats. My daughter lost a cat I gave her for her birthday to the stuff because her new step-daddy left a pan of drained coolant under his car. But, pouring the stuff into the sanitary drain (which is seperate from the storm drain system) is at worst gonna lead to the demise of a few sewer rats. (Are they also on the EPA's list of endangered species? I wonder whether the tons of ammonia-laden urine and disease-bearing fecal material flushed daily should be banned from the municipal sanitary drain systems, too...) As you stated, antifreeze will naturally break down in the presence of bacteria at the treatment plant.

Treatment plants use a biological floc that breaks down the solids in municipal wastewater. Toxic chemicals can kill the good bacteria in the floc and reduce the efficiency of the plant. If the floc dies completely, the plant can be down for a week or more, and it would have to either transport the collected sewage to another plant or dump it untreated.

Yep, that is generally the issue. Most plants rely on biological processes to "clean" wastewater. A slug of Antifreeze can kill the good stuff (in simple terms, the stuff that eats antifreeze consumes oxygen, lowering oxygen levels, which can kill the other good stuff).

In other cases, the recieving wastewater treatment plant is nothing more than a series of ponds, and the antifreeze can do the same thing there.

Always check with your local sanitary sewer folks! If you are not connected to the municipal system (ie: you are on a septic system) DO NOT flush antifreeze down the drain.

I guess the only good thing about Kalifornia is that it's against the law to drop off used oil at a facility that takes used oil after business hours. People do it every once in a while at my store. Pis*es me off like no other because usually the sh*t they leave behind is contaminated up the yin yang. (Washed up Bastards!) I just wish people would understand that's a convenience for the customer to drop off their used oil. It's free for them but obviously cost money for the oil to be picked up. Maybe my paycheck would be bigger if it wasn't for accepting used oil; instead to take it down to the city's hazardous waste dump. Sorry, had to vent. And no I dont work at Autozone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back