Pics, ONE oil change in 45K miles (2015 Kia Optima 2.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that woman deserves is the bus or Uber. However, that engine looks a lot cleaner than the typical Toyota with sludge.

Last edited:
I see varnish ... It's gonna be a long thread!
shocked2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by nthach
The only thing that woman deserves is the bus or Uber. However, that engine looks a lot cleaner than the typical Toyota with sludge.

*Another one rides the bus hey hey hey!*

They(dealer and corporate) prob won't give her the benefit of the doubt if this or a related issue happens down the road. Which would be fine with me.

Originally Posted by oghl
this wouldn't happen if she's smart enough to find a husband on BITOG

My wife used to take her car religiously on 3K mark to Jiffy Lube. We were dating then. I was pretty impressed that she changed oil. They also flushed the coolant at 30K ... I went through her records.
Told her it's ok even though I don't flush coolant at 30K on a new car ... and then took over the maintenance
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
regardless I'm shocked they covered it

Me too.

Yeah me too...

She should be charged with fraud and locked up... Lock her up... Lock her up.. Lock her up...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Kia is being very generous here. The lady is obviously a gamer.

This type of "warranty" work is not uncommon. This is why when posters state using xxx grade or filter avoid and or reputable brand of fluid warranty I disagree.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic

The engine looks surprisingly clean for 33k on one oil change.

Same..... I was expecting FAR far worse

What inside the engine failed?

It is really not sludged that bad.

Originally Posted by Linctex

What inside the engine failed?

Exactly what I thought.
And curious as to how much oil was left in the engine at that point, I'd guess she wasn't religious about topping it up.

A dingbat I graduated with did something similar to her '89 Grand Am. We all stood underneath the car in awe as the tech scraped and scooped out the cold, gelatinous oil with the pan removed.

GM warrantied her engine. 25,000 miles on the factory fill. GM was informed of the facts at the get-go. They didn't send a rep. They didn't argue. They just approved the replacement.

There was a collective "WHA??" on everyones' face in the shop that day. She may have made it longer had it not been below 0 in Wyoming at the time.

Don't complicate things by trying to apply logic to what automakers, or dealerships do. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
A dingbat I graduated with did something similar to her '89 Grand Am. We all stood underneath the car in awe as the tech scraped and scooped out the cold, gelatinous oil with the pan removed.

GM warrantied her engine. 25,000 miles on the factory fill. GM was informed of the facts at the get-go. They didn't send a rep. They didn't argue. They just approved the replacement.

There was a collective "WHA??" on everyones' face in the shop that day. She may have made it longer had it not been below 0 in Wyoming at the time.

Don't complicate things by trying to apply logic to what automakers, or dealerships do. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

This is how I see it too.

On a serious note, this is very deliberate on Kia's part.

A lot of 2.4's are failing b/c of machining or assembly problems. Even though this wasn't caused by that, if it gets out that a 2.4L engine failed and it wasn't covered, Hyundai will wear it, even though it was the owners fault.

They are producing thousands of 'extra' 2.4L engines for this - it just gets lumped into all those engines going out.

I can't help but think maybe the dealership didn't give all the facts to Kia. I know warranty work doesn't pay as well as non-warranty work but it seems maybe they didn't want to let a big job like an engine replacement walk out the door so maybe they fudged the facts a bit.

wemay - thanks for a very interesting story and excellent photo's. It seems to me that this situation speaks very highly of the Quaker State motor oil and the OEM oil filter.

I look forward to using my PP 5w30 oil and OEM filter in my 2018 Sorento with the 2.4L engine. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

Would be nice to have real official documentation of this warranty replacement in the event that you have warranty engine work denied and you have performed all the necessary maintenance.....

Originally Posted by fisher83
I can't help but think maybe the dealership didn't give all the facts to Kia. I know warranty work doesn't pay as well as non-warranty work but it seems maybe they didn't want to let a big job like an engine replacement walk out the door so maybe they fudged the facts a bit.

And they earn brownie points with a customer that may buy her next car from them.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Lady from Maryland says it all...

You were the only one brave enough to say it out loud!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back