Camry Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
So got this one: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p..._mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Confirmation-_-General

Replaced this one in end of Sept and beginning of Oct and it has gone dud, so pathetic quality control.

frown.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Ya the ones from the auto parts stores are often junk. We send them 80 miles away to a rebuilder. Never had any problems with them.

Curious, how much the re-builder charge for a regular 90-110amp one?

The Denso rebuilds cost more but are worth it. Napa has 'em, Rock Auto.
I used an O'Reilly for our 2006 Acura TSX; keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately the alternator rebuilders have gone the way of carburetor rebuilders. Few and far between.

Some focus on big starters and alternators from bull dozers, etc.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The Denso rebuilds cost more but are worth it. Napa has 'em, Rock Auto.
I used an O'Reilly for our 2006 Acura TSX; keeping my fingers crossed.

You have to make double sure it's actually rebuilt BY Denso (and I don't actually know if they do), and not just a rebuilt Denso core. They can still have the very bad voltage regulators in them that is the source of all these failures. They are made with Chinesium...

Unfortunately the alternator rebuilders have gone the way of carburetor rebuilders. Few and far between.

They are still around, and even if industrially focused, will still do auto and recreational marine work. It's basically the same and often the same units. Just google local auto electric or industrial electric shops. A place I use is Romaine Electric, which has national branches and does mail order:

https://www.romaineelectric.com/

I buy the brushes, bearings, and voltage regulators from them and rebuild my own, which is a very simple process unless you have an exceptionally odd stator or other failure.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Originally Posted by Chris142
Ya the ones from the auto parts stores are often junk. We send them 80 miles away to a rebuilder. Never had any problems with them.

Curious, how much the re-builder charge for a regular 90-110amp one?

Depends on what it needs to be right. They don't use inferior parts. They use OE or OE supplier parts as much as possible. Usually $150-$200 unless it needs major components.

Originally Posted by Donald

Still many on the left coast. The best guy we had in my town passed away a few years ago. But there are still others. We like the shop 80 miles away. Never had a bad one from them plus they pick up and deliver it at no charge...well I'm sure the charge is in the price but still reasonable.

Lifetime Replacement! If you want to keep changing it every few months. You might get lucky eventually. Reman alternators are the worst. I try to warn everyone away from them.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Lifetime Replacement! If you want to keep changing it every few months. You might get lucky eventually. Reman alternators are the worst. I try to warn everyone away from them.

^^^^^^^^

Right on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back