Alternative to Gillette Fusion razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Which is better, Harry's or Dollar Shave Club? Been thinking on switching for a while. Not really about the commercial. I just think that it's really irresponsible to put something out like that. Lots of ramifications of butting your nose into someone else's business (violence for one).

I've heard mixed things about Dollar Shave Club. Harry's shaves almost as good as the Fusion - blades are made in Germany and the cartridge has a living hinge instead of the Fusion's mechanical pivot points.

Good shaving cream really makes a difference. I'm using Trader Joe's for now. Kiehl's is good stuff.

I was never a fan of following the razor rip-off trends. Decades ago I upgraded from a Gillette Track II to a Sensor and stopped there. Now I buy no name blades from the local Shoppers Drug mart.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I've been using a Merkur 34C for about 25 years. My current DE blade choice is Feather. The 34C currently costs about $45 (I paid $20 in the early 90s) and the Feather blades work out to 25 cents each. I can get almost two weeks out of a Feather blade.

Thanks for letting me know about the feather blades. I made the switch to a safety razor based on a chat here last summer. Took some time to get used to using a DE blade. I just upgraded to an Edwin Jagger razor this week and I like the heavier weight. I bought 100 dorco blades and another 100 derby blades for under $10 each last year. I replace the blades every Sunday.

I'll ask for some feather blades for fathers day then I'll have about 6 years worth of blades. Talk about another hoarding pastime.

What soap do you use for shaving?

Originally Posted by JC1
I've been using a Merkur 34C for about 25 years. My current DE blade choice is Feather. The 34C currently costs about $45 (I paid $20 in the early 90s) and the Feather blades work out to 25 cents each. I can get almost two weeks out of a Feather blade.

Thanks for letting me know about the feather blades. I made the switch to a safety razor based on a chat here last summer. Took some time to get used to using a DE blade. I just upgraded to an Edwin Jagger razor this week and I like the heavier weight. I bought 100 dorco blades and another 100 derby blades for under $10 each last year. I replace the blades every Sunday.

I'll ask for some feather blades for fathers day then I'll have about 6 years worth of blades. Talk about another hoarding pastime.

I actually discovered that the generic Walmart "Oil Free Face Wash" makes an excellent shaving cream. It has a high glycerine content. For the several years prior to using Feather blades I really liked Personna medical prep blades. I have quite a few remaining. If you PM me your address I would be glad to send you a few at no charge. They are pretty excellent as well.

Originally Posted by JC1

I actually discovered that the generic Walmart "Oil Free Face Wash" makes an excellent shaving cream. It has a high glycerine content. For the several years prior to using Feather blades I really liked Personna medical prep blades. I have quite a few remaining. If you PM me your address I would be glad to send you a few at no charge. They are pretty excellent as well.

PM Sent.

Originally Posted by JC1
For those with sensitive skin, Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel is very good. Nivea Sensitive Shave Gel is also nice. Walmart carries both.

If you want actual shaving soap, Proraso makes a good one.

I have a Gillette Mach-5 handle but I have been buying knock-off identical blades that fit it from Ali-Express 20 at a time for $20CDN ($12 USD) because P&G charges a fortune and it's complete B.S.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I have a Gillette Mach-5 handle but I have been buying knock-off identical blades that fit it from Ali-Express 20 at a time for $20CDN ($12 USD) because P&G charges a fortune and it's complete B.S.

Interesting. They make knock offs for the Fusion too. $12.52 for 16 of them so about 78 cents each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BAI...afety-shaver-blades-for/32790934301.html

The 12 pack on Amazon is $40 so that's $3.33 each.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by JC1
For those with sensitive skin, Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel is very good. Nivea Sensitive Shave Gel is also nice. Walmart carries both.

If you want actual shaving soap, Proraso makes a good one.

Thanks Quattro Pete.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I was never a fan of following the razor rip-off trends. Decades ago I upgraded from a Gillette Track II to a Sensor and stopped there. Now I buy no name blades from the local Shoppers Drug mart.
laugh.gif

I stopped at Sensor too. I get 6 months out of a Sensor blade so I'm not inclined to experiment. As long as I can find blades that fit I'm not changing. Yep I'm a a Luddite!

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I use Personna Double Blade 10 pack disposables from the 99 Cent Store that in my experience last longer than the $10+ packages of these blades from Gillette, Schick, and whomever else.

If I can get 3 shaves per shaver ( YMMV ) then they're considerably cheaper ( and in a 10 pack ) have only a little less longevity than the packaged, overpriced 17 blade "Extreme" cartridges or similar that the majors sell in a five pack. I used to like these type of cartridges but I came to the realization that I'm better off either using a safety razor or disposables considering the limited lifespan of these things that I'm spending $15 dollars a crack for....I typically didn't find the blade quality to be worth the money in relation to the alternatives.

In my experience .99 only blades destroyed my head and face. It cut my face and left burns all over my head.

Went back to the DE safety razor a few years back, could never get a good shave from a disposable. Did a little research on razor, blades, soaps, creams etc. I now get baby bottom smooth shaves at a fraction of the price of a disposable.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by StevieC

Interesting. They make knock offs for the Fusion too. $12.52 for 16 of them so about 78 cents each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BAI...afety-shaver-blades-for/32790934301.html

The 12 pack on Amazon is $40 so that's $3.33 each.

I have been using them for the past 4 years since I found them during one of Ali's 11-11 massive sales and they seem to last just as long as the official Gillette ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dishdude
I've tried some other brands and always end up going back to the Fusion. They last the longest and are easiest to navigate around my face. I buy them at Costco when they go on sale.

One thing I've found that really extends the life of the blades is to dry them with a towel after each use.

^^^^^^^^

Really true here..... Drying a razor out GREATLY improves razor performance and longevity... and keeping it dry too obviously.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Bic Flex 5 is fine for my beard, and I was a Gillette guy for years.

^^^^^^

Me too.... The Flex 5 is a really good razor in my opinion too. Dry after using and a single razor can last about 7-8 weeks...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
I use Personna Double Blade 10 pack disposables from the 99 Cent Store that in my experience last longer than the $10+ packages of these blades from Gillette, Schick, and whomever else.

If I can get 3 shaves per shaver ( YMMV ) then they're considerably cheaper ( and in a 10 pack ) have only a little less longevity than the packaged, overpriced 17 blade "Extreme" cartridges or similar that the majors sell in a five pack. I used to like these type of cartridges but I came to the realization that I'm better off either using a safety razor or disposables considering the limited lifespan of these things that I'm spending $15 dollars a crack for....I typically didn't find the blade quality to be worth the money in relation to the alternatives.

In my experience .99 only blades destroyed my head and face. It cut my face and left burns all over my head.

Holy cow ^^^^^^^
lol.gif

Though I believe you Dave... 100%..

True story time.... I had to shave a patient at the hospital as a student with a really cheap razor from there.... And this guy was on warfarin for atrial fibrillation... A blood thinner... Guess what happened?? Yeah fun happened... I was being very careful and gentle. No problems.. the patient got hold of the razor and tried doing it himself and well blood everywhere... And it took a good while to stop due to him being on warfarin. It was awesome. Not really.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Single blade safety razor is the only one that doesn't give me razor burn or ingrown hairs. Can cut yourself as soon as you quit paying attention though.

I was going to say... safety razors have become more popular again in recent years, but, get the angle wrong while using it, and you'll literally see red. I don't want to have to think that hard early in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back