Car stumbling in idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gents.

2009 Saturn Astra, ~50,000 miles. This morning, the car started stumbling when idling and it continues when accelerating/driving as well.

Any reason this might be happening?

Thanks.

Any codes? Car have any work done on it recently? A stumbling idle could be a multitude of things:

- Plugs/coils
- MAF sensor
- Dirty TB
- Vac leak
- Fuel issue
- Air in coolant

Have had a fouled MAF sensor cause stumbling for me...my car actually always stumbles a bit at idle, but it got really bad when I got stuff on that item (my own fault from an attempted carbon clean).

Love those ASTRAs!! I had an '08. Great car. The coil packs are VERY prone to failure. They are all together so you replace them all at once. About $125 for the part if I recall. I had to do mine at the 70k mile mark. Simple job. Do the plugs while you are in there....I used Denso Platinum TT's off rockauto. Very happy with those plugs.

I miss that car, it was a loaded up XR model.

Last edited:
Different engine but a GM issue. On my TB there is an issue where the drive by wire throttle body gets filthy and gummed up by the CCV. It causes stalling, poor idle and other similar issues. Simple fix. Unplug the negative cable, pull the throttle body and clean it front, back and any passages with throttle body cleaner. After about 30 minutes connect the negative back, which will allow it to relearn on a clean throttle body.

are you a person that washes the engine? I have seen where water gets into the plug wells and a plug can start arcing across the rubber insulator boot. Pulling the boots and reapplying dielectric grease to fix ...and stop washing ur engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back