Can top end cleaners damage engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are ways and what can I check to see if a top end cleaner(specifically Subaru top engine cleaner) has damaged my engine? Is it even possible to damage a car if the job is done incorrectly? Could the dealer not put something back in place?

I took my car in for it's 30k service a few months ago. I was going to do my own oil change but long story short the 14mm bolt head stripped and i got fed up with dealing with it. Took it in to the dealer. They recommended 30k service which included a top end carbon build up cleaning, i had it done. Didn't realize subaru doesn't have it listed in the owners manual and that it was a dealer recommended service.

The second I drove off the lot the engine sputtered alittle when i pulled up to a redlight. It stayed running, but I could feel the engine shake as I slowed down. That was the only time it ever happened, it's been fine since. But idk if it's the cold weather recently(40 degreees F)...but my MPGs have suffered greatly since. I don't EVER remember having to fill up this often. Did some manual calculations today, 14.9 gallons(~18 gal tank) for 316 miles, 22 MPG. The last time I saw 22mpg was when I was driving down the highway at 80-85mph with a roof basket, set of factory wheels and 15 degree F temps. My last road trip 2 weeks ago I saw 27 MPG on the the cars read out(45 degree temp, no roof basket or anything). Prior to the 30k service I was seeing anywhere from 30-33 MPG highway, granted that was also during the summer.

The only thing I've done to the car was run an axle back delete from 22k-30k, then i got sick of the drone and put the factory muffler back on. The CVT does seem to hold RPMs around 3k now when cold...could that be the cause? If there anything I can do to up the MPGs again?

Current oil fill is with subaru 0w20 synthetic. Atleast that's what the SA told me. Would it be worthy to drain and fill with M1 AFE 0W20?

Last edited:
OP, I would unplug the battery for the night so the computer can be reset. Those cleanings can do some weird things to the computer, the computer then will relearn. Can't hurt.

Was the axle back delete, the muffler or a resonator? Just curious.

Dealer recommended services not in the manual are dealer enhanced profit for boat payments. You got taken.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
OP, I would unplug the battery for the night so the computer can be reset. Those cleanings can do some weird things to the computer, the computer then will relearn. Can't hurt.

I'll try that when I replace the battery. The OE ones like leaking out of the caps, dealer said it's normal. All of the metal around it is being corroded by acid.

Originally Posted by user52165
Was the axle back delete, the muffler or a resonator? Just curious.

Dealer recommended services not in the manual are dealer enhanced profit for boat payments. You got taken.

axle back delete was just the muffler. Didn't touch the cat or resonator. Now that I realized it was a dealer recommended service I'm kinda [censored] that I had it done. Could have saved $350 that day lol

It probably stumbled once when it was burning some of the remaining cleaner out of the intake. If they did the cleaning correctly, your car would have idled a lot in the shop. I don't know how significantly that'd affect your mpg but I'd start fresh on your calculations on the next tank and see. Nothing they did should have hurt mpg, if anything it should have helped it. If they cleaned the throttle body, disconnecting the. Battery so it can relearn idle is good for it, Subaru's are very Finnicky with throttle plate relearning after a new battery is installed or after a throttle body is cleaned.

I had somewhat similar, but more severe, symptoms after I tried to do a carbon cleaning on my own, but I did it through an open airbox...I doubt very much the dealer did it that way, as the Subaru cleaners in the US are meant to be applied through a vacuum line with their special "tool". Anyway, my problem was a fouled MAF sensor due to the CRC cleaner splashing back.
Not very likely that you're dealing with the same issue I was, but it might be worth buying some MAF cleaner and spraying it off if yours is easily accessible. Mine was sort of a PITA to get out as it was on the extreme left of the engine bay with very little clearance for a screwdriver, but I did notice the one on my daughter's Impreza was staring me right in the face when I popped the hood on it.

It's under warranty? Take it back and explain that it hasn't run right since you got it back. Explain that you were giving it some time thinking maybe the cleaning just needed to clear through the system and then you were busy with the holidays etc.

Make it their problem. They created it.

It's probably a MOC or BG service that dealers love - it pads their service drive.

I'd pull the battery, and then turn the car on for 90 seconds in deadhead(key on/engine off), start the car and don't touch the gas for 90 seconds to get the throttle zero-point calibration done. Then see if Subaru has a drive cycle to relearn the adaptives and emissions monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back