What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to change the plugs and wires on a 2003 Mazda Protege5. As I pulled the first 2 plug wires out I went to remove the plugs. I could not get my socket to go over the plugs. I know it is the right size. I take a gander down the hole and I realize
the ends of the plug wire grommets are all jammed up around the old plugs. I have tried for about 15 minutes but with my limited ability, I cannot get them out. Too deep for the longest needle nose pliers I have. I can reach them and spin them with
a long skinny screwdriver. Botton line, I can't get the plugs out with that rubber ring blocking my spark plug wrench.

It's a pretty long ways down in there. I need some expertise beyond my ability.

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

I have had this happen to me before. But with a grommet from a spark plug socket that got stuck.

Get some thinner screwdrivers, two of them, and try to get between the plug and the grommet. Keep trying and eventually it will come out.

I have a pair of long, skinny needle nose pliers I had to buy to solve this problem years ago.

The screwdriver play will work but I am not sure about my blood pressure. They really make that long of a needle nose pliers??

You could try a couple of small, curved dental picks like the kind shown in this set. They are available at low cost from chain drug stores like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Also Wal-Mart is likely to have them. If you can slip them down alongside the rubber opposite each other, twist them so the pick digs into the rubber, then pull it out. You could give it a shot of WD-40 before you attempt it. That would help to allow the rubber to slip out. If they're loose enough to spin with a screwdriver, they should come right out.

https://www.amazon.com/ElleSye-Stai...401&sr=1-4&keywords=dental+picks

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
More over engineering to stop DIY owners.

Not really, having spark plugs like that has been around for a very long time and is nothing special or unique.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
More over engineering to stop DIY owners.

How so? Those plugs look easily accessible. It's just that the boots tore. Lube the new plug boots with dielectric grease and it'll be good.

Scott

Originally Posted by billt460
You could try a couple of small, curved dental picks like the kind shown in this set. They are available at low cost from chain drug stores like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc. Also Wal-Mart is likely to have them. If you can slip them down alongside the rubber opposite each other, twist them so the pick digs into the rubber, then pull it out. You could give it a shot of WD-40 before you attempt it. That would help to allow the rubber to slip out. If they're loose enough to spin with a screwdriver, they should come right out.

https://www.amazon.com/ElleSye-Stai...401&sr=1-4&keywords=dental+picks

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I already had the dental pic. Well, it was my wife's. I wonder if she will taste the WD-40?

IMG_1909.jpg

Originally Posted by JTK
I've been through this before as well. A pick set and pliers worked for me.

Amen!

Turn the car upside down and give it a good shake?

You could tape some dental picks to long screwdrivers (if the screwdriver alone won't get it).

Or,

Try taping a small fish hook, maybe with or without the leader attached, and "fish" (ha!) it around down there to grab the rubber?

I had that happen on a Toyota. Used a long thin screwdriver and ripped it apart then blew out with compressed air. Got new wires with a better attachment where it fell apart on you.

Glad you got it! It's these little stupid hiccups that make jobs so time consuming.

I was going to suggest dental picks too, but it looks like you already figured it out!

This is not an over engineering problem or even new - its been an issue on plenty of setups over the years. Make sure to use some di-electric grease and you won't have this problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back