Car stereo FM/ AM Reception Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently install an after market stereo on my step dad's Ford van. The stereo works great but the radio reception kind of stinks
either FM/AM.

I have heard that you can install some kind of filter on the antenna side to improve the reception.

What filter to use??

Sometimes people install a wideband, radio frequency (RF) "preamp" to improve reception.

But before you go searching for one, there should be an adjustment on the unit, usually a capacitor, that "tunes" the antenna to the input circuitry of the AM/FM section. Try that first.

Tune it (peak it) for the middle of the AM band.

Last edited:
Also, consider your antenna. A good SS whip of the right length makes a lot of difference. If it's a stubby, or a window glass antenna, you will not get much ...

I just re-read the manual no help with any advice regarding the reception. The antenna is a good size and not the window type at all.

Unfortunately, I think the current trend for after market stereo is getting away from radio and gearing for media play via memory sticks or other usb devices, memory cards, Bluetooth, etc, etc. And, of course CDs, at least for a while.

You might need to look for a stereo that advertises it's tuner performance.

This is just my observed opinion.

I just did a car that had this problem, the antenna was good and had good connection, the problem was the ground. I put some flat braided ground straps from the engine to the frame and body and it cleared it right up. I am not saying this is your problem but it sure wont hurt.

I used THIS and crimped my own lugs.

Grounds and some aftermarket radios won't play nice with amplified factory antennae - and even factory systems are weak. I doubt a Ford E-Series uses an printed antenna or a Fuba-style roof unit. If that's the case, you will need to apply +12V from the aftermarket radio's blue remote turn-on wire to the OEM antenna amp.

Pioneer is one of the better brands for AM/FM performance, there's nothing that comes close to their Super Tuner. May not be true now.

The van is old and has the normal antenna stick, they do suffer from rust so all look at the grounds first.

Originally Posted by LazyDog

I recently install an after market stereo on my step dad's Ford van. The stereo works great but the radio reception kind of stinks
either FM/AM.

I have heard that you can install some kind of filter on the antenna side to improve the reception.

What filter to use??

What unit did you install? Make/model.

Old antennas get their ground at their base where they mount to body panel. My metal whip one snapped off. And when I replaced it with a cheapo whip. I found the underside ground was all tore up and ugly loose and corroded.

The new cheapo whip antenna got better reception than the longer steel oem antenna did with the corroded loose ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back