Pick my filter–

Status
Not open for further replies.
...for a collection of Toyota and Honda sedans, using 10k-12k mile OCI's.
You cannot pick a Fram. Cost is not a factor.
(I've used M1 filters in the past, but interested in learning about Wix.)

I'd use what I use ( ......‹) -- OEM or M1, but of course, you're driving in a pretty wide lane with this question. Also, maybe as importantly, make sure you have good AIR filtration too.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Fram TG

Yep that or a factory Toyota replacement which should be available at your dealer for about $4.25.

If you don't care about efficiency go for the WIX XP or NAPA Platinum (same guts).

If your Toyotas take cartridge filters, my choice would be Mahle. If they take the spin-on cans, use Wix XP/Napa Platinum. If the spin-on can is a shorty, you can upsize to the 57145XP (Napa 47145)

The OEM Honda A02 filter from the dealer is Fram. But since you don't like them, use Wix XP. The non-XP cartridge for newer Hondas (57356) has a very dinky media cartridge and will not last 10k and definitely not 12k! The M1 filters are also good.

Originally Posted by lukejo

You cannot pick a Fram. Cost is not a factor.

Fair enough.

1) Synthetic media: Donaldson Synteq, Royal Purple, or Amsoil (these are all exactly the same)
2) Conventional media - Fram Tough Guard 1st, Wix/Napa Gold 2nd, then Mobil 1 or K&N third

I guess I should have worded it differently but isn't Fram Ultra like the best filter out there? I know Amsoil is very good filter but I don't think they are any better.

….The non-XP cartridge for newer Hondas (57356) has a very dinky media cartridge and will not last 10k and definitely not 12k.....
So you're saying definitely that if I ran the first pictured NG 7356 another ~3400 miles on my Accord it would have failed ie., gone into permanent bypass? Didn't even bother to wick media that one. 6600 miles, 1 year 15% MM. Second 50% MM, 1 year 5500 miles. And an older one run 6k miles, 1year. Jim Allen said here about holding capacity which would be main consideration, "The average filter in the average car at average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed."

While it might not to be my first choice for all ~10k mile ocis, I'm confident the 5/7356 up to the task especially if done in Honda's one year 0-15%MM owners manual recommendation. Just as point of reference currently running an XG7317 for two 0-15% MM/one year ocis.

To topic, the synthetic media filters previously noted, RP and M1 would all be viable options imo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by lukejo
How does the Amsoil (Donaldson) compare to the M1 filter?
Full synthetic media for Amsoil/RP versus a cellulose/synthetic blend for M1.

Been using the STP Maximum Life 15,000 Mile filter and it's been working out great... Of course I do change my oil ( STP SYN Full Synthetic 5W20 ) and filter every 6,000 miles..

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Fram TG

Yep that or a factory Toyota replacement which should be available at your dealer for about $4.25.

Fram here as well.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Fram TG

Fram here as well.

Way to read the OP's post before responding..
smirk2.gif

The Napa Gold/Wix families have always looked solid. I have sent '53 Stude many of them to C&P on the board here, always look stellar. Even the Napa Platinum that I ran too long of an OCI on looked good, but showed some stress in the oil itself (some insolubles in the can). For the price you can get these for when NAPA has the Farm & Fleet sales, they're a really good buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back