Pioneer SW-8MK2 Subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy y'all,

so I've gone mega OCD on rebuilding our home audio experience the past few weeks. I now have stereo systems, 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2 in every room, connected to Airport Express Gen2 with full Airplay2 support. We're a 100% Apple family with Apple Music subscription shared across 6 family members. Great setup.

I purchased most of the speakers used on Kijiji, small Class D based amps off eBay and Amazon, and the setup is excellent. I won't dive into all I learned about these little amps. Suffice to say, they are amazing. I actually sold my NAD 320BEE because of how pleased I am with these little Ti based amps.

Anyway, on to the subwoofer topic. I own two HSU Research subs which are used in our great room, and I just love them. I wanted to add subwoofers to two other rooms but I needed a cost effective solution. I wanted a 2.2 stereo config, like I have with with HSU subs in the great room. After many hours of reading reviews on several different sites from purchases/users of the Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer, I decided to buy 4. I got them on sale and worst case I turn around and sell them on Kijiji for a small profit, or at least no loss.

I was very skeptical that a $130 (Canadian dollars, about $100 USD) subwoofer could make me happy. I remember my early subwoofer days, that eventually drove me to HSU Research. I hated every sub before my HSU's.

Well, after a couple hours of listening, tuning, and tuning, I can honestly see why the reviews are so overwhelmingly positive for this sub. And this is after only a couple of hours of listening, well before the sub is 'broken in' and well before I have found the perfect tune/config for it.

Let me preface my next comments with the following disclaimer:

** All of my comments are based on listening to music, all kinds of music, at 1/4 through 5/8 volume.

I just love this subwoofer. It is an excellent, easy listening sub, with tight relaxing bass that just makes me smile.

If you're in the market for a musical sub, check this one out and save some money.

If you're in the market for a home theatre LFE monster that'll shake your room, skip over this sub. It is not that kind of sub.

Nice find.

Speaking of 8" subs, Hsu used to have their 8" STF1 some years ago. It was very musical as well and could even serve home theater duty in a small room. I regret selling it.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Nice find.

Speaking of 8" subs, Hsu used to have their 8" STF1 some years ago. It was very musical as well and could even serve home theater duty in a small room. I regret selling it.

Correct! I have 2 x STF-1's in the Great Room, configured in 2.2 Stereo. Great subs! Very musical, and with 2, they handle home theatre duty well. Two of them have enough output that it is hard to justify upgrading to the new HSU VTF series.

I had the MK2 for years and loved it. Not much for LFE but it sounded great at moderate volumes.

I sold it and replaced it with a Dayton SUB1500. The MK2 handily beats it for music playback, but it couldn't touch it during low end extension. Glad you're happy with them!

I had the MK2 for years and loved it. Not much for LFE but it sounded great at moderate volumes.

I sold it and replaced it with a Dayton SUB1500. The MK2 handily beats it for music playback, but it couldn't touch it during low end extension. Glad you're happy with them!

The next project is creating a sub platform for the new Pioneers. Since I saved so much money on the subs its' only natural that I find something else to work on
grin.gif

These new Pioneer subs are on a hard wood floor. So I'm going to cut a 12x12 inch plywood, paint it black, lay down a 1/8 vibration isolation neoprene mat on the top, and on the bottom place 8 x Hudson HiFi vibration isolation feet:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...sin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't want to raise the height of the sub to change the driver compression, and its' overall, dynamics, so a platform like this should work really well and play nicely with the room mode(s).

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Agreed, use it for what it was designed for and its' a great sub. The majority of the negative reviews/comments that I read were because it lacked heavy duty home theatre capabilities.

For music, I'm really impressed. Especially in a 2.2 stereo config. They are great!

Originally Posted by webfors

Agreed, use it for what it was designed for and its' a great sub. The majority of the negative reviews/comments that I read were because it lacked heavy duty home theatre capabilities.

For music, I'm really impressed. Especially in a 2.2 stereo config. They are great!

I guess I was lucky because my mains are Paradigm Studio 60's, and they dig fairly deep. The Pioneer did very well for me during movies, but it really paired well in 2 channel listening as well.

I suppose there's always the option to have two subs, each one dedicated to what it does best, and use this little guy:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RCA-A-B-Speaker-Audio-Switch-Selector-Switcher-Box-2-Way-Adapter-UK-DISPATCH/253196261678?hash=item3af3ac592e:g:DsgAAOSw~SlbEdmh:rk:8:pf:0

grin.gif

Here's a picture for fun:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8rk4vhj7ybklm8/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21fd.jpg?dl=0

On top of the Piano, from left to right are:

Rolls SX45 crossover preamp, DAC, mini tube preamp, amplifier.

Total cost of all gear, including the Paradigm Mini Monitor v1 and subwoofers = $600 Canadian (~$440 USD).

Everything except the Paradigm monitors were brand new.

Sound is amazing. So much so that I've put my NAS 320BEE amplifier and Harman Kardon receiver up for sale. These mini integrated audio devices are great value for the money.

How is the imaging with regards to the speakers being right next to a big reflective surface like the piano?

Can you PM me on the info on the small tube amps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
How is the imaging with regards to the speakers being right next to a big reflective surface like the piano?

I'm sure it could be better. The piano is on its' way out in the near future. That being said, I have the monitors pulled out 2 feet from the wall, and almost flush with the front of the piano, so in theory there shouldn't be too much interference.

PM incoming.

Update:

I was so impressed with the "Andrew Jones engineered" subwoofer I decided to give his SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers a try. I got them on sale for $98 CDN (~$72 USD) a pair, so the only sane thing to do was buy two pairs
grin.gif

Guess what!? They are fantastic LOL. Honestly, coming from a bit of an audio snob, that says something. I've already put my Paradigm Mini Monitors up for sale. They are being replaced by these little beauties! The imaging, detail and clarity are definitely a step above the Paradigms... not sure how else to put it. Great blend with the matching subs.

The most impressive part in my opinion is that good audio can be had for the masses without having to spend too much.

Total cost for the two subwoofers and speakers in a 2.2 stereo configuration = $352 CDN (~$258 USD).

Here's a few pictures to continue the fun!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6j4hg89wz2d8u6/AAAddLq33m-nwY7PUvzh9ibWa?dl=0

small Class D based amps off eBay and Amazon,

Can you give a link to this amp that you're using?

I'm currently using an Onkyo mini receiver to power the PSB Alpha B bookshelf speakers in my computer setup, and researching other amp ideas.

I found a Fosi amp on Amazon that might be viable, but still looking for other ideas. Ideally, I'd want an amp with a dedicated pre-out for a subwoofer, but if it doesn't have one, I'll just use speaker level connections to feed the sub.

Thanks!

I have several. You won't need much power to drive those Alpha's nicely. I have some Paradigm Titans being driven by a single TPA3116D2 chip @6ohms with a 24v power supply, delivering approximately 30w / channel.

If you need more power thats where the dual TPA3116D2 chip amps come in which double the power output. The following are rated at 100w / channel at 4ohms. I've used these to drive any speaker, including my big Energy ESM2-MKII. They are quite powerful. Just make sure to get the 24v power supply. Volts = power in these amps.

Here are a few amps I own:

Fosi dual chip (comes with a 19v power supply so it's probably rated closer to 80w/channel @4ohms)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...sin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nobsound dual chip (buy a separate 24v 6amp power supply to get 100w/channel @4ohms):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nobsound-Mini-Digital-Power-Amplifier-TPA3116-HiFi-Stereo-2-Channel-100W-2-Black/253114270412?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Single TPA3116D2 chip amp, with built in preamp and bass/treble control (this is driving my Titan's, and does a GREAT job):

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audio-Power-Amplifier-2-50W-Stereo-Amp-HiFi-Audio-Receiver-TPA3116-LM1036/183431530928?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you buy any of the pure amps, with no built in preamp bass/treble controls you need to buy a preamp. I recommend a simple tube preamp with bass/treble control. It really adds to the sound and obviously has some level of control to tailor to your tastes.

Be careful though, you might just end up loving these amps, then buying more, setting up a whole house multi-room audio system, buying more speakers, or so I heard..
grin.gif

Here are the inexpensive preamps I've installed on all systems with a pure amp:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/6J1-Tube-Amplifier-Bile-Preamplifier-HIFI-Preamp-Treble-Bass-Audio-Preamplifier/332909565043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=542015725238&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You can even nerd out and swap the tubes out. I bought some legacy GE tubes for the preamp upstairs for the Energy's:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-Pairs-US-GE-5654W-Tube-Upgrade-6J1-6m1-EF95-403A-6AK5-403B-CV4010/392115174218?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

All in all, a relatively inexpensive way to OCD over home audio. The kids (2 daughters) just love the new multi-room audio system. We have been watching a lot less television.

Here is the DAC I use, after some chip research, in 3 of the systems in the house:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SENUCN-Audio-DAC-Q5-HiFi-Optical-Coaxial-USB-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC-Decoder/163041152139?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And for fun I ordered this kit for a system in the basement that doesn't need anything with good looks:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TDA7498-Class-D-2X100W-Dual-Channel-Audio-Stereo-Digital-Amp-Board-AMP-case/122275075022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For the full 100w/channel, the TDA7498 chip needs a 32v power supply. This chip also comes highly regarded but also runs hotter.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. The Fosi dual chip is the one I was looking at. It's around $60 here in the US.

As for DAC, I am currently using Fiio Q1 MK1. I recently also ordered Topping D10 as part of a Massdrop deal. It'll probably take another month before I receive it though.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Thanks for all the suggestions and links. The Fosi dual chip is the one I was looking at. It's around $60 here in the US.

As for DAC, I am currently using Fiio Q1 MK1. I recently also ordered Topping D10 as part of a Massdrop deal. It'll probably take another month before I receive it though.

That dual chip Fosi will drive any speakers. Works great. Benefits are it comes with a PS and it has a built in preamp. Plug in your input and you're ready to roll. Great amp. It's actually upstairs right now running my Energy's in the home theatre.

You might want to dive into the chip specs on the DACs. If nothing else, it's fun and a good learning experience.

You might want to dive into the chip specs on the DACs.

I could, if I knew what these various chip specs meant and how that translates into quality sound.

I know things like THD, SNR, output level, but nothing about the specs of the chips themselves.

Just going by ear, I can tell the DAC built into my portable audio player (Shanling M3s), which can be used as a computer/USB DAC, makes my system sound somewhat better than my Fiio Q1. But I can't quite make out if the Topping D10 is going to feel like a noticeable upgrade to the Fiio. I ordered the D10 because I've read some positive reviews on it and it was in my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back