Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

Originally Posted by StevieC
You are changing your Amsoil ATF every 10,000 miles? That's excessive or did you mean every 100,000? I run it 60,000 miles at least and it's always cherry red when it comes out. I got 300K miles out of my Santa Fe doing that.

I also think that 10k is a big excessive.

I was doing 15k drain n fills on my 07 Civic Si 6spd manual but only because I was driving the snot out of it daily, revving to 8,600rpm and after 15k of city abuse, I could start to feel the gears getting crunchy and fresh fluid would smooth things out instantly.

10k on an automatic eco box that isn't driven hard seems like overkill.

The OP did what I didn't do: He took care of the cosmetics of the car as well as the mechanicals.

Easing along down the highway in a rolling dung heap with a purring engine is a mixed pleasure at best.

Originally Posted by harry j
1993 Civic automatic transmission pictures

I thought transmissions only came in brown. On a serious note, that looks great.

Originally Posted by Artem
You are changing your Amsoil ATF every 10,000 miles? That's excessive or did you mean every 100,000? I run it 60,000 miles at least and it's always cherry red when it comes out. I got 300K miles out of my Santa Fe doing that.

I also think that 10k is a big excessive.

I was doing 15k drain n fills on my 07 Civic Si 6spd manual but only because I was driving the snot out of it daily, revving to 8,600rpm and after 15k of city abuse, I could start to feel the gears getting crunchy and fresh fluid would smooth things out instantly.

10k on an automatic eco box that isn't driven hard seems like overkill.

Perhaps Artem, but it's hard to argue with 532,000 miles on the original transmission

Yea but who's to say that the 10k flushes are the reason?

You could have done 60k on the Amsoil Lube and will be in the same spot you're at now.

Could have done 100k drains and be @ 500k as well. It's the high quality fluid that helps to keep the transmission happy.

With your argument, I say you drop down to 3k interval and do both the engine and transmission at the same time while the front end is jacked up. Lol.

I'm just kidding of course.

27.gif

Those things were bulletproof to begin with so I think a longer interval on the trans would be fine and you would have gotten to that mileage. Now I only put 300K on my Santa Fe but I did so on a transmission known for debris in the oil that shows up on the dipstick and has no user serviceable filter all with the OCI's for the trans I was talking about so your 10K miles is really overkill but me being OCD I can understand the conundrum.

Marco620, Those magnets are very powerful and should make a good difference. My problem with them is

that the magnet is not very wide and tends to fracture at the end when you take them out for an oil

change. What happens is they fly through the air and slam into the oil pan. What you have to do is

grasp the plug very firmly when its all the way loose, and then yank it down quickly. Please look

into the Dimple magnetic oil drain plug.

You know there is a rivalry between us on who will take their civic farther in mileage. You got more but I got more faster
thumbsup2.gif
I use the Greddy so it's got a SCCA certified. I think Skunk2 makes a set too. I thought about going to redline 0w30 but first I need to at least upgrade the valves and springs and add a small turbo or 35nos before I go up another weight. Happy Honda Days!!!!

It's been 3,000 miles now since the Barr's anti-leak tabs were introduced to the cooling system.

The overflow bucket remains at the full mark.

Originally Posted by Marco620
You know there is a rivalry between us on who will take their civic farther in mileage. You got more but I got more faster
thumbsup2.gif
I use the Greddy so it's got a SCCA certified. I think Skunk2 makes a set too. I thought about going to redline 0w30 but first I need to at least upgrade the valves and springs and add a small turbo or 35nos before I go up another weight. Happy Honda Days!!!!

Tell me more Marco620.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
The OP did what I didn't do: He took care of the cosmetics of the car as well as the mechanicals.

Easing along down the highway in a rolling dung heap with a purring engine is a mixed pleasure at best.

jimbrewer, I always get a good laugh when I read your comment about the rolling dung heap LOL

That's a seriously clean engine bay for a daily driver... Kudo's

Thanks StevieC, you have inspired me to redouble my effrorts, I will post a photo if you like. 533,000 miles

The photo above should have read, valve adjustment. Only one intake valve was a little tight, all the others were OK.

I read somewhere that as an engine gets older, there is less of a need to adjust the solid lifters.

Miles on Civic--534,093
Miles on oil-----9,457
Amsoil 0W-30 AZO
Code
[/code]

Amsoil EaO36 oil filter

Twin Filtermag CT3.2's

Dimple magnetic oil drain plug

5ozs LiquiMoly

41 ozs makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; The Particle Counts read a bit cleaner this time, at 15/14/12. Maybe that's because this was a shorter oil change,

though you had a sample with just under 10,000 miles on it with a higher PC. Maybe you did something different with filtration. In any

case, this is a good PC reading. Wear looks great too. We're still seeing potassium, and silicon is higher, though neither one seems

to be causing any wear problems. We're not sure if potassium is coolant or not, but if it is, some engines can go ages without that ever

developing into a full-blown issue. Check back

Code:
Aluminum------2-----------------4 (universal average based on 3,500 mile OCI)
Chromium-----1------------------1
Iron--------------17----------------9
Copper----------4-----------------3
Lead--------------2----------------2
Tin----------------0-----------------1
Molybdenum---332--------------85
Nickel------------0-----------------0
Manganese-----0-----------------0
Silver--------------0----------------0
Titanium----------0-----------------1
Potassium--------54--------------4
Boron--------------50--------------51
Silicon--------------47-------------121
Sodium-------------16--------------43
Calcium------------1466-----------2132
Magnesium--------937------------154
Phosphorus--------888------------714
Zinc-------------------996-----------833
Barium---------------0----------------0
[code]

SUS Viscosity @ 210F---------63------------------------57-67(values should be)
cST Viscosity @ 100C----------11.07--------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------------385--------------------->385
Fuel %--------------------------------trace------------------- Antifreeze %-------------------------?------------------------0.0
Water %--------------------------------0.0-------------------- Insolubles %--------------------------0.3-------------------- TBN-------------------------------------2.9-------------------->1.0

Particle counts for ISO code 15/14/12;
>=2 microns----------454
>=5----------------------168
>=10--------------------46
>=15--------------------18
>=25--------------------4
>=50--------------------0
>=100------------------0

Last edited:
Back