Ravenol DXG 5W30 D1G2 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... completely different from what we've been told is needed to meet D1G2... still has TONS of calcium!

Ravenol DXG 5W30 D1G2.PNG

One thing for sure, the Ravenol oil is measurably cleaner than the other three samples- maybe ZeeOSix can educate us some on what the reality of these counts means to the average user.

The calcium might be higher but it's still lower than pre d1G2 oils. The presence of sodium is a surprise though.

Maybe MolaKule can weigh in and tell us how an oil like this can be so significantly different (double calcium, 350ppm sodium) and still meet the specs, yet none of the other big makers is doing anything like this? Also remember this oil has some moly and tungsten (which Ravenol claims "smooths" sliding surfaces). At least it's proof not all D1G2 oils have to look identical to be certified
smile.gif

My understanding is that the presence of Moly works to counteract the ill effects of Calcium and Sodium.

wemay, agree on that understanding, but again... we've been "told" that it takes quite a bit of moly to offset. We've seen all the other big oils move to more moly than this with half the calcium and no sodium. Still hoping one of the formulators will chime in...
smile.gif

I have asked TestOil if they will run the Polyol Ester Alcohol test on this sample to see if we can find some additional info out about the Ravenol. I've never had one of these tests done and don't really know what it consists of, or what it will tell us non-tribological people, but if I can get it I will post it up here as well!

I looked at some other reports I found with the POE Alcohol results in them... it gives a number for the amount in the oil, but I have not yet found a way to interpret what the number means. It's not a percentage, so I will probably have to ask TestOil what the number translates to. Or maybe someone who uses this test in their work may be able to shed some light on what the information means.

Originally Posted by Gubkin
It's D1G1
same same http://pqiadata.org/Ravenol_DXG_5W30.html

Regardless of what it said on the bottle it sure looks like this was the D1G1 oil. There's something fishy going on here....left over D1G1 stock but they already had the D1G2 bottles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
There's something fishy going on here....left over D1G1 stock but they already had the D1G2 bottles?

It would be extremely illegal to put D1G1 into D1G2 bottles, and almost certainly result in certification problems for Ravenol moving forward. The converse though would be perfectly fine- putting D1G2 into bottles labeled D1G1.

I, for one, have no question the certification is legitimate. As with many certs, approvals etc. there are "min and max" parameters the product's ingredients must fall in between. That's probably the case here. Maybe the Calcium and Sodium levels are at the ceiling of what's acceptable under d1G2.

Last edited:
I just find it odd every other manufacture made measurable changes to their oil to go from D1G1 to D1G2 and Ravenol did not. On top of that, at least for the parameters measured on PQI, there are absolutely no differences between G1 and G2? Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable can explain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back