Post 7777 from 37,000 feet. What’s my next plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An RV is a nice option, kinda touchy buying one already built. It would be nice to have the newer airframe. It's all a trade off, cost, speed, features, panel.

I have owned two Pipers, now a Commander 122 with an IO-390. I'm always looking for that 40 it tailwind.

I did fly to NC, then S FL in Dec, fun trip. I was visiting, then the Son flew home with me.

For the most part if you have to be somewhere on a shorter timeline(and lower cost), buy a ticket. Recreational flying is often about more than speed.

I did my preheat ritual and went flying today. The airport was fairly busy & the weather was great.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I work in various locations, and PA has become a place to rest when I'm up North. It's not unusual to spend a day in Teterborbo, a few days in White Plains and the rest of the week in Stewart. Followed by weeks to months in Florida.

I'm leaning towards the Mooney Ovation. 190Kts seems just right.

The SR22, 210 and others seem to be 165Kt airplanes, not enough of a jump to make it worthwhile.

The C210 is very roomy and has good useful load.
Is the Mooney up to the task with the pax and dog and bags you'll need to carry along with enough fuel to actually get somewhere?
Is the C210 really that slow?
I thought they were a bit faster.

The turbocharged 210 is really a fast plane. But a standard 210 is about the same as a Bo.

For those of us who get to fly various aircraft, one thing is certain, cruise speed comparisons are only part of the equation.

A 195 NM race between our Extra 300L and PC12 was rather enlightening. Formation takeoff, the Extra was up and gone in seconds. Climbing 3500 fpm and reaching 165kts within a minute.

The Pilatus lagged behind badly on takeoff and initial climb out. It climbed at 130kts and 1200 fpm. The Pilatus Cruise At 255kts enables it to pass the Extra at the halfway point.

Same goes for Mooney vs Cessna comparisons. The Mooney Ovation is at least 30 knots faster in climb than a 210.

Descent is also a consideration. This is where top of the green and yellow arcs come in. My 177's top o the green is 139kts. Descending in anything other than smooth air means it's slow.

... Any other thoughts?

Like cars, you should get what you want.

My late father had quite a few 285 horse V Tails, starting, I think, with an S Model. They were comparatively roomy inside and while not quite Mooney fast, were not slugs either. M20's have always just seemed tight to me, even for normal sized people. It always seemed to me that the M20 made a lot of compromises to get that speed. They do fly nice.

I think I am at the point where comfort might be more important than 20-25 kts, or so.

As an aside, somebody local has picked up a Bellanca Viking, I keep seeing it in the pattern from my house. Sounds really good. Folks say they fly really well. I've never been in one.

Congrats in advance on whatever you get!

I had been considering the need to fly from NY to FL. My current airplane takes 9 hours, 7.5 in no wind, plus a fuel stop. An all day affair. I've done it a number of times and it's impractical.

A Mooney 305 Rocket can do it in 4.3 hours, no stops. Or a nice stop along the coast for lunch at somewhere past the halfway point.

But maybe I don't need that ability. JetBlue is always ready. $1400 last minute for a JetBlue round trip for two. Of course it takes me 2 hours to get to JetBlue and I've got to be an hour early....

Here is all the airplane you need:

JK...just found a digitized pic of our first bird, from 1992, and figured I'd inject some humor. Cue the "Traumahawk" comments :)

N2507P.jpg

Originally Posted by Capt
I noticed your from Jupiter, I regularly fly a Mooney 231 intercooled out of ksua.

Very cool. What do you think of the 231? I've been considering all the various faster Mooney aircraft.

Originally Posted by Capt
I noticed your from Jupiter, I regularly fly a Mooney 231 intercooled out of ksua.

A friend owns a 305 Rocket conversion and I've never seen it under 200Kts. Simply an amazing performer. Even with a headwind, we saw 205Kts groundspeed at 16 and 18,000. A plane like that shaves an hour off the 177RG's trip speed when bucking a strong headwind from SAV to F45!

Another friend has an Ovation, 180Kts is what he claims, but I've not flown in it. But I do like the longer cabin! Super comfortable.

Last edited:
I love the plane! its acutally called a 262 conversion or mabye 252 not sure? it does have intercooler and LB engine. Its very ergonomic and natural for me as far as controls and throttle, flaps, switches ect. I felt very comfortable on my 1st flight with it coming from a cessna 150. I also fly a Piper Archer and sometimes feel ''Akward'' in the plane for some odd reason.... Today's flight: 7500ft 170 ktas 12.5 gph. The owner of the plane is VERY adamant about keeping the engine as cool as possible due to recent top overhaul, mechanic replaced various parts that were ''burnt'' we also perfected the engine baffling. Now she runs cool and at about 100 hrs stoh everything looks very cool & healthy. With these turbo Mooneys its all about keeping that engine cool. I saw your webpage of your 177rg restoration Very Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back