Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical stout PUP, no surprises here other than a slightly lower TBN than I personally expected:

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20.PNG

It was cheaper than PP after rebate so I bought a few jugs. I see it as my cleaning oil. I don't mind calcium with my MPI engine.

Subie, what tbn number were you anticipating? Is Ultra known for having a lot higher tbn than PPP? 8.8 seems to be about 1 point higher already than most regular shelf syns.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/lubrication.htm

TBN aint everything. I kinda looked at PUP as a SM/SN high performance oil with basic oem approval not seen from Amsoil,Torco or Redline. I think running it through a general oci that it has to be one of the cleaner oils out there.I ran it 11k and Blackstone said I still had room to wiggle. I think that 5w20 will be fine and especially if your not in need of a Dexos2. Thanks for Voa!

I don't know really what I expected; lately I have had a taste for A3/B4 oils (which bring their own consequences for something designed for a 20wt). I ran this same PUP (I bought both jugs on the same day) 17.2k in my Fusion so if someone is inclined to find it, you can reference this oil at virgin and 17k miles in the MZR 2.5 engine.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't know really what I expected; lately I have had a taste for A3/B4 oils (which bring their own consequences for something designed for a 20wt). I ran this same PUP (I bought both jugs on the same day) 17.2k in my Fusion so if someone is inclined to find it, you can reference this oil at virgin and 17k miles in the MZR 2.5 engine.

Yes, I saw that when you first posted it and I applauded you for it. Not a lot of guys here would venture that far with that oil (not a long drain oil). IIRC you did use an additive though. Anyways all in all a great run. I'm a long drain fanboy. Cheers.

I had used additives previously in the car's life- but once I started buying PUP instead of just PP, I had not used any additives in the oil. I had been adding some TC-W3 but that was to the fuel.

Looking back at that, I guess it may have been a different jug- it looks like I still had a jug of 0W20 at that point in history: PUP 0W20 UOA 17.2k

Analysis was done by TestOil in Ohio. This test had some additional stuff performed (PC) but the regular analysis is like $40... significantly more than some other choices of labs. I had them do it since they do samples for work and gave me a deal on these couple samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back