Do mechanics ever take their car to the mechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one touches my car but me. Which is why it never gets fixed, because at the end of the day I don't feel like wrenching anymore!

Id hope not. If they need the tool, they should buy it and sell the job on customers cars. The only thing I cant do is programming, but my guy comes to me. A mechanic friend of mine actually leases cars, which boggles my mind.

I could see a mechanic having a friend who is also a mechanic of transmissions do a diagnose or rebuild. Not every mechanic is also skilled in trans rebuilds.

I've seen dealers sent jobs like rim refinishing to tire shops that does it day in and day out. I've seen mechanics send heads and transmissions out to shops specialized in them. I've also seen them hire people to work for them and give simpler jobs to the junior employees.

So, why not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 14Accent
No one touches my car but me. Which is why it never gets fixed, because at the end of the day I don't feel like wrenching anymore!

Repeat...cycle to the beginning....Repeat... cycle to the beginning...Repeat...cycle to the beginning.

I was not allowed to work on my own car at the tire shop I worked at, but got 20% off other peoples' work. Used it once, for a state inspection. Very quick and smooth process that year.
lol.gif

My mechanic was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago. Since then, his energy isn't what it used to be. The big, heavy lifting jobs he used to do are not possible anymore. He sends them out to another mechanic who apprenticed under him.

We have random shops bring cars in when they hit the diagnosis wall or they need programming that their scan tool cannot do. Others will find a customer's car needs work done that should be covered under warranty, I get a lot of those calls and don't mind telling someone when warranty should cover something. They will just drive it down for their customer so we can take care of it.

We do sublet repairs, but for things we can't do. We have someone that does our interior repairs beyond parts changing, a wheel repair guy, a convertible top person, glass installers for windshields, panoramic moonroofs, and truck back glass. We don't have a body shop, too much of a headache plus no room. There are a couple different body shops locally we will use.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
No one touches my car but me!

Same - - I **ALWAYS** come out ahead $$$$ wise - -

even if it means I have to buy a $400 tool

(which I can always sell later and get most of my money back)

But, this also means I ALWAYS have a spare vehicle handy (something many can't pull off)

What does a mechanic do when they have only (1) car but are busy all day long at work ? Have a co-worker do the work as a paid job (with discounts or pay for parts only, etc) ?

I'm a mechanic. Now that I work on a fleet though, I have no access to a shop for my personal work which really stinks compared to my 11 years at a dealer where I could always maintain and repair my own vehicles after hours.

The only time I let someone else work on my car then was a heater box job. I despise pulling dashes, so I swapped work with one of the only co workers I trusted to do it well. No money exchanged, I just did some of his side work and he took care of my car.

Now that I have no access to a shop I figured I'd be paying someone, at least for major repairs, but I still haven't run into that yet. I've handled mounts, axles, a timing chain, and many basic jobs at home. I have all my tools at home but still haven't sprung for an air compressor.

I've paid for tires and alignments, and now that I have a new car, I had Mazda make 1 warranty repair and have 1 more that needs to be made but will wait for another reason to visit as it's not that dire of a need.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I could see a mechanic having a friend who is also a mechanic of transmissions do a diagnose or rebuild. Not every mechanic is also skilled in trans rebuilds.

This is what I was thinking. If a shop specializes in one area, or mechanic, then it's good to farm out work (even on his own cars) to an expert.

I.E. if I'm a transmission expert, I might have someone else do my automotive electric. Or vice versa.

I maintain a fleet of aircraft. There is no real way for me to do car work at the shop.

So any personal work gets done at home.

And I hate letting others touch my stuff. Nothing but low quality work, mistakes and shortcuts.

I have this problem now. Left the dealership world after 20 years for a better career for the county. No more access to a shop. I have all my tools at home now & still do what I can. Broke my heart to have Costco install tires & have to pay Napa to machine my brake rotors/drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back