'We're going to electrify the F-Series,' Ford exec says

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/16/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck/2595515002/

I'm not against electric vehicles in principle, but right now this sounds a lot more like a nice pipe dream that will take years to achieve. The problems that need to be overcome are not small, and I'm not convinced that truck drivers want an all-electric truck and the the differences they will need to accommodate in order to pay for and drive one. If now is the time to make this claim, it sure would be nice to hear something (rather than nothing) about how they plan to get it done.

GrtArtiste

Okay so your electric truck is rated at a certain range.. what happens when you throw a full trailer on the back, or load up the bed? Range drops substantially.

No thanks.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Okay so your electric truck is rated at a certain range.. what happens when you throw a full trailer on the back, or load up the bed? Range drops substantially.

No thanks.

Let's be honest 90% of a pickups life is running around with a bed full of air and nothing in tow.

No thanks.

You would want the plug in model which can do anything an all gas can do, and use no gas under ideal conditions. They said electric and plug in.

A frame space that can be stuffed full of batteries, and max torque from 0rpm, sounds like a towing winner to me. Regenerative braking would make highway descents an easier deal, too.

Originally Posted by madRiver

No thanks.

Let's be honest 90% of a pickups life is running around with a bed full of air and nothing in tow.

My pickup bed is full of rarified air.

I could see this work for something like a large city, industrial area, shipyard or airport where lots of highway mile range is not needed.

Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/16/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck/2595515002/

I'm not against electric vehicles in principle, but right now this sounds a lot more like a nice pipe dream that will take years to achieve. The problems that need to be overcome are not small, and I'm not convinced that truck drivers want an all-electric truck and the the differences they will need to accommodate in order to pay for and drive one. If now is the time to make this claim, it sure would be nice to hear something (rather than nothing) about how they plan to get it done.

GrtArtiste

how do you figure it will take years to achieve? The technology is there....all they have to do is implement (design it)....You make it sound like they are sending a man to Mars...

Originally Posted by FFeng7
I could see this work for something like a large city, industrial area, shipyard or airport where lots of highway mile range is not needed.

or for 99% of your common persons commutes. Seriously, I'll bet 99.99% of my driving is well within range of an electric car. On the .01%, I'll take the wife's car or rent.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by FFeng7

or for 99% of your common persons commutes. Seriously, I'll bet 99.99% of my driving is well within range of an electric car. On the .01%, I'll take the wife's car or rent.

Yes me too. Maybe once a year I would drive beyond the range of a EV. I love my gas powered vehicles but would certainly be open to the idea of a electric.

Last edited:
Ford already makes a plug-in hybrid F450. They know what they are doing with electricity and trucks.

Elon Musk has been picking around about building an electric pickup truck. My guess is Ford intendeds for Musk to see them standing at the door, prepared to shut it in his face.

Ford has further experience with electric pickups. The Ranger used to have an EV model. 2 generations, in fact. A lot of business loved them and were devastated when Ford killed it.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
For stop and go, electric is king. Charge at night, or off hours. Idling delivery vehicles is a huge cost to companies.

I can see the electric F-150 being a hit with government fleets - if Ford did the same thing to the Transit Connect and Transit, I can see Amazon, UPS and FedEx buying those.

Construction companies would also buy these - yes, there's lots of company 1/2-tons on the jobsite and a plus for the typical construction worker if Ford was wise with battery capacity would be a built-in 120/220V outlet to charge up their power tools.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Originally Posted by GrtArtiste

GrtArtiste

how do you figure it will take years to achieve? The technology is there....all they have to do is implement (design it)....You make it sound like they are sending a man to Mars...

I see you live in MN. Is an all-electric truck going to heat your cab in the winter and defrost your windows so you can see to drive it? And run your wipers-headlights-turn signals-radio-gps? Will you be able to go very far driving it in snow or after the sun goes down? Are going to be limited by driving only part of the vehicle's range, or will you be able to charge it quickly anywhere? Some folks will want A/C in the summer...will an all-electric truck do that? Lots of unanswered questions.

I had a custom home built and can charge two vehicles in my garage and one in the driveway, all at the same time. I don't want an electric vehicle at this point in my life, but I'm prepared for the future.

I see you live in MN. Is an all-electric truck going to heat your cab in the winter and defrost your windows so you can see to drive it? And run your wipers-headlights-turn signals-radio-gps? Will you be able to go very far driving it in snow or after the sun goes down? Are going to be limited by driving only part of the vehicle's range, or will you be able to charge it quickly anywhere? Some folks will want A/C in the summer...will an all-electric truck do that? Lots of unanswered questions.
[/quote]

Yes an electric vehicle will do all of that. I would like to not have to buy gas but don't want to be the guinea pig either. Electric Teslas are supposed to go 500,000 miles without any major maintenance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back