Bought a used Cherokee Trailhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday we sold the CRV and purchased a used 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with less than 4k on the odometer. We were looking at a few other options but kept coming back to this one. Apparently it has every option available to a Trailhawk. The dealer already changed oil on it so now I have to wait to change it. Still trying to figure out how to change the tranny fluid along with the PTU and rear diff fluid. There's not a lot of info out there on how to do it. Now I just have to figure out all the settings through the Uconnect system.

KIMG0026.JPG

KIMG0025.JPG

KIMG0024.JPG

If the rear diff is like my car, there's a drain bolt on the side of the case. But the Uconnect is easy to use lol, 4banger or v6?

Congrats. Nice looking Jeep.

Make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. Co worker of mine had a 4 cyl and it drank oil. She never kept an eye on it. She panicked when she saw a bunch of warning lights on the dash.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Congrats, very nice. Do you plan on taking her off road much? This is what Jeeps love.
smile.gif

Thanks. No real off roading anticipated, just getting to our cabin in the winter.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Congrats, very nice. Do you plan on taking her off road much? This is what Jeeps love.
smile.gif

Thanks. No real off roading anticipated, just getting to our cabin in the winter.

OK, cool!

Originally Posted by Skippy722
If the rear diff is like my car, there's a drain bolt on the side of the case. But the Uconnect is easy to use lol, 4banger or v6?

I've got a hard time using a smart phone so getting all the settings right for everything in Uconnect will be a challenge for me. It has the 3.2L V6 engine. It's very quiet compared to the CRV.

Originally Posted by JC1
Congrats. Nice looking Jeep.

Make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. Co worker of mine had a 4 cyl and it drank oil. She never kept an eye on it. She panicked when she saw a bunch of warning lights on the dash.

Thanks. We've got the V6 so hopefully that will not be an issue. I do check on every fill up anyways.

The transmissions on these can be a nightmare. My friend just traded his in for a Tacoma after the fifth time it went in for tranny updates/rebuild/repair in the first year of ownership. Not sure if it's specific to Trailhawks but that's what he had...

smile.gif

Correction- "that is what REAL jeeps love"
wink.gif

Keep us posted on the warranty issues, electrical problems and of course transmission issues on that fancy Fiat.... I mean Jeep.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
The transmissions on these can be a nightmare. My friend just traded his in for a Tacoma after the fifth time it went in for tranny updates/rebuild/repair in the first year of ownership. Not sure if it's specific to Trailhawks but that's what he had...

yes the 2014 and early 2015, they had hardware updates to address the issues.

OP should be fine with his 2018.

the 3.2 is similar to the very common 3.6 pentastar used in many mopar vehicles.

the canister style oil filter kinda irritating, I felt the fram ultra were too long in it.. never fit very well.
So I stuck with mopar filters.

The transmissions all shift kind of wonky due to the 2 dog clutches and how it shifts gears.. notably
4-5 and 7-8 IIRC.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
smile.gif

Correction- "that is what REAL jeeps love"
wink.gif

Keep us posted on the warranty issues, electrical problems and of course transmission issues on that fancy Fiat.... I mean Jeep.
wink.gif

Will do!

The transmission fluid change isn't terrible, but the fill/check plug is in a terrible location. It's on the rear of the case, just about the output for the LH axle shaft. You remove a plug, fill, and use a tool (dipstick, not included) to dip in and check the level. Not complicated, just annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back