2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Every three years my father in law recruits me to 'help' him lease a new Nissan Rogue. The 2019 is their fifth one in a row. It has to be a top of the line SL with every factory option. He won't even consider a different make/model or trim level. We spent over 4hrs at the dealership yesterday working the deal, which included turning in the old one and taking the new one home that day. I had emailed the manager weeks prior to set things up, got their "best price" quote, etc..

MSRP on the 2019 Rogue SL is $35835. After a "dealer discount", a rebate and ~$5200 down, it's $317/mo for a 3yr/45K mile lease. Insane in my book, but I can't talk him out of it. I stepped away to take a phone call at one point and in the time I was gone, the FIL agreed to a ~$500 Simoniz treatment. As is my custom, I lost my s--- on this, but the FIL insists "I get this done to every one of them!". LOL.. What can you do.. He's retired. He earned it I suppose..

Worst part was, we didn't even get out of the parking lot and the collision avoidance system popped a big ol' error message on the dash and doesn't work. This also disables other features. They wheeled it into service and came back out 20min later with an initial diagnosis of a "bad camera" and they have to order it. Nice. I suggest to the FIL that he leave it it and insist on a loaner. Nope.. He took it as is. I was about spent at that point.

Last edited:
When I went with my dad he usually agreed with my thoughts on things. Which made it easier. I remember back in 89 negotiating on a new Dodge Shadow for my mom. He negotiated the cost of the paint treatment down from $500 to $50. We did get a take home kit of more paint sealant, shampoo and a few other things. But first and last time we got the paint treatment on a car. Then the car sat for about 6 weeks or so while he arranged for a home equity loan to pay for it so he could get the tax deduction. I was only about 16 or so at the time and would go check it out at the dealer once a week or so. It seemed like forever till we brought it home. It was dark cherry in color and I think $10,500 out the door(auto, ac, alloy wheels). A few people said it looked like a 20k car when I drove it to high school once.

For him he would usually get a new car every 5 years. The last 5 cars or so he would pay around $10-13k for a new one after trade-in and tax fees, etc... Usually the cars would only need tires, rotations and oil changes during that time. Not one of them needed new brakes but I think they all needed some brake work when they were being traded in.

There are other older family relatives that I wouldn't want to go with to buy a new car. Eep one person who is very indecisive about things.

Being old and cheap, this story bothers the "censored" (insert preferred word here) out of me. As I lose my mind in my old age, I'm going to get more and more jaded and cynical. I guess your father in law's the other side of the coin. And he has loyalty to one of the few brands I'd eschew.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
... I guess your father in law's the other side of the coin. And he has loyalty to one of the few brands I'd eschew.

This is absolutely true. He just retired at 73. They purchased/financed very modest domestics through the years. Bought new and drove until they rusted to pieces up until the late 1990s when he got turned on to Nissan with their 1998 Maxima. Drove that until 2007, then the Rogues..

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by csandste
... I guess your father in law's the other side of the coin. And he has loyalty to one of the few brands I'd eschew.

This is absolutely true. He just retired at 73. They purchased/financed very modest domestics through the years. Bought new and drove until they rusted to pieces up until the late 1990s when he got turned on to Nissan with their 1998 Maxima. Drove that until 2007, then the Rogues..

maybe before Renault got a hold of 'em.

Funny story for the readers, less so for you. Next time, just pack your ears with cotton and zone out.

I had no intention to have 2 Nissan's in my house, but the Maxima was a no-brainer for me and my wife tried all the competitors to the '17 Rogue and decided that was her new car.

I've sat in Rogues and Rogue Sports (size I prefer), always afraid of those transmissions, but maybe eschew was a bit strong on my post. Actually bought two Renaults (both new) back in prehistoric times. Many interesting stories from that experience.

I've driven all but the new one and I think they're OK for this segment. The CVTs do the step shift thing for the last 3yrs or so and the 4-bangers are typical Nissan buzzy IMO. The get up and go is fine on them and fuel economy is OK. Not current day Subaru Forester good, but decent. He's never had an issue with one because he only keeps them for 3yrs and under 40K miles. He takes them back to the dealer for every ~3750mi oil change and they get him for every other thing you could imagine. He had them do rear pads and rotors a month or two back on the 2016 Rogue. It only had 30K miles on it and the service dept told him they were shot. ~$350 for that. I know my Subarus would blow through the factory rears about 36K miles.

I'll post back an update about the collision avoidance (if that's what you call it) issue. Should be interesting being a first model year option. Way too much going on with that for my liking.

Last edited:
CVT driving dynamics do not scare me. Maintenance and repairs do. Ran into a friend who mentioned that her Honda HRV blew through the transmission as soon as it was out of warranty. Dealer told her she needed 15-30K transmission fluid changes at an egregious price and that she needed it done at dealer only (yes I know about Magnuson-Moss).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back