Does GM oil life monitor % go down without driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the calculations take in data based upon operating temperature, RPMs, mileage, time... They are calibrated to reach 0% in a year regardless of the other inputs. My Sierra sits a lot, and I can see the oil life decrease between uses.

It depends on the vehicle. With my 98 Corvette and my 2005 Corvette if you didn't drive it, the OLM would not change, it didn't have any time limit at all. With my 2018 Corvette, it has a one year time limit built into the OLM, so even if I don't drive it in a year (very unlikely!) the OLM will still hit 0% on the one year mark since the OLM was last reset. I can't speak for when they made this change to the OLM in other GM models though, or if they've actually even implemented this change to all of their vehicles yet.

My 06 Malibu does not account for time. It could sit for years and the OLM would not change. Until now I have never heard of one that does.

Originally Posted by dadto2
Yes, the calculations take in data based upon operating temperature, RPMs, mileage, time... They are calibrated to reach 0% in a year regardless of the other inputs. My Sierra sits a lot, and I can see the oil life decrease between uses.

So, if it sits unused for long periods of time, why wouldn't you pull the battery and put it in a nice dry place with a battery maintainer... and the OLM can't go down when there's no power for the electronics?

i consider OLM BULL POO they really don't how your oil is or what or is! BIG difference between XYZ mineral oils on the shelf + Redline, i change as I see fit!!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

So, if it sits unused for long periods of time, why wouldn't you pull the battery and put it in a nice dry place with a battery maintainer... and the OLM can't go down when there's no power for the electronics?

You should not do that with a lot of the newer cars. I know of several Corvettes that have had to be flat bedded to the dealership for the computer going to "sleep" from not have current to it all the time.

It doesn't sit long enough for that... in summer I take my bike somewhere most weekends, haul the family(and lots of stuff) back and forth to the cottage, etc. In winter we make a few runs to the ski slopes and haul cub scout/boy scout gear around, but it can go maybe a month sitting in the winter. That's when I see the % drop a little. I'll never make it a full year before an oil change anyway. Closer to 6 months.

Originally Posted by benjy
i consider OLM BULL POO they really don't how your oil is or what or is! BIG difference between XYZ mineral oils on the shelf + Redline, i change as I see fit!!

It's far from bull poo. It's very simple- use the spec of lube that your vehicle calls for and it will be reasonably accurate. This has been verified by countless members here. Of course there are stand outs like the DI 3.6 was for a while due to unaccounted for fuel dilution.

If you use a lube that is "better" or "worse" than the OE spec then it's up to you to determine what is the most appropriate interval to change at.

I am pretty sure the OLM will still count down during that time. It'll know the date (perhaps a very small battery inside the computer?) and as soon as it gets full power again it'll calculate the % the first time you start things up.

My Impala will go from 100% to 99% after an oil change if you put it in reverse before you take your foot off the brake without ever moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back