UOA Motul 300V, 5w40, 2013 BMW S1000RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first UOA of any kind, very interesting results I'm following up on (gasoline contaminant). The objective of these is to get an OCI I can depend on given the fact that I ride both street and track (no racing). Some wisdom is suggesting 300mi OCI but that just seems far too short, but then I have no data yet to dispute that. Thanks to CentAmDL650's experience with 300V I'll bet I'm going to be happy with my results.

Plan to deal with my gas contamination includes a ECU error check and an injector eval by the dealer. Other suggestions welcome.

FWIW, its not ridden in stop-and-go, obviously I don't lug a bike like this. Analysis from Oil Analyzers, Indianapolis lab.

S1000RR Motul 300V Oil Analysis 20181011.png

The aluminum roughly 2x iron surprises me a little, but hard to say what is normal in your application. I certainly wouldn't loose sleep over the fuel if the dealership doesn't turn up any issues with their checks. Thanks for sharing

track time adds a lot of wear if you are actually pushing it and higher rpms.

that is very significant fuel dilution!
yet somehow its not that far off the 12.5cst needed for 40wt

some hiway miles after the track could have brought that fuel down

Thanks for the thoughts on the Si and Al.

Originally Posted by sunruh
track time adds a lot of wear if you are actually pushing it and higher rpms.

that is very significant fuel dilution!
yet somehow its not that far off the 12.5cst needed for 40wt

some hiway miles after the track could have brought that fuel down

Yeah, I'm in Advanced group so reasonably quick. Hadn't even thought about the highway burning off the gasoline. Bike goes in on the 28th for the injectors. If nothing comes of that I'll probably pull a sample directly after my next track day before heading home. Might even need to do one with street-only miles.

Anybody think its weird they're asking me for a base sample of 300V? Shouldn't they already have that on file from someone in the past?

I think you answered your own question... if they had this oil on file, they would not ask for a sample. Not necessarily a common weight and it is Motul.

What's the thought on a 5w40 vs a 10w40?

sportbiker, and what if the formula has changed since the last voa on file?

bonz, 5w40 is a great oil for winter but it shears quickly in a shared sump. honestly 10w40 isnt much better from all i've tested.
unless you have a parts sponsorship or oil sponsorship i would not use 5w40 at a track/racing its simply not enough.

I am getting at the same thing with "what's the thought on 5w40 vs 10w40". My ZRX 1200 shared sump was ridden almost 5000 miles on the street for the most recent OCI and not run on the track. However "Mobil 1 10W40 4T Racing" as you commented held up really well.

We agree a 5w40 is gonna sheer quickly, esp on the track, and not a top choice, at least for me and my bike even on the street. I did one UOA of just over 5000 miles with Rotella T6 and shifting had gone south well before it was changed. Sheared down to 60.2 vs 66.4 for the M1 10w40 4T.

Mobil 1 10W40 4T racing is one of the best oils I have run for all aspects of wear and shift quality. Trying 20w50 VTwin this time for its higher Z and P, will report back on the UOA in early summer.

FWIW, BMW is recommending 5w40 in their newer bikes, such as the liquid cooled R1200RT a friend of mine rides.

Sorry for the hiatus, have an update. Leakdown showed problems in 3 of 4 cylinders, compression was bad in those same 3, and I have no significant coolant issues. Conclusion: Rings are shot in those 3. Dealer is in process of rebuild.

As for the 5w40 300V, it is a pretty common oil for racers to use at the track, though I have also heard lots of "I change it every day I race." My problem with that is there is zero data to provide certainty that the spend is worth it. Given my results I'm still dubious. That's actually the very reason I started the UOA on my bike, to provide the community some facts to work with.

Anyway, with a rebuilt engine at high cost, I'll be doing something different. Yes, 5w40 will likely be mandated by BMW to maintain my 1y warranty. So I plan to use their oil for the 600mi break-in and switch back to the 300V only for a single track school. I'll pull a UOA from that and send in the virgin requested.

Need advice. I see the M1 4T recommendation, is there 1-2 more I should consider for my shared sump, liter inline ridden in the upper Midwest of the US? I ride it down to 40F and at all temps above (>100F at times in the summer). The results from this thread didn't look very conclusive.

Strange, couldn't find a way to edit my last post. Intended to note that the bike has an offroad y-pipe so I'm not concerned about cat fouling.

Most guys I raced with used Motul 300v 15W50, and so did I. V twins, or inline 4's, all 15W50, but we raced in the southern California desert. High rev's, high speed track. I would usually change my oil after 2 practice days, and 2 race days. Practice days are 110/150 miles each day, race days are 2 races about 30 miles each race. Shared sump. The cost of oil is dirt cheap compared to the tire budget!

I see fuel dilution in the analysis report, and you mention an ECU error code. Would BMW take any responsibility for fuel washing the cylinder walls and maybe contributing to the ring issue?

I looked at the s1000rr manual on-line, and unequivocally says a 10w40 JASO MA2 is fine. Would absolutely run that vs any 5w40 on the track for sure and everyday for that matter.

Originally Posted by Sportbiker
My first UOA of any kind, very interesting results I'm following up on (gasoline contaminant). The objective of these is to get an OCI I can depend on given the fact that I ride both street and track (no racing). Some wisdom is suggesting 300mi OCI but that just seems far too short, but then I have no data yet to dispute that. Thanks to CentAmDL650's experience with 300V I'll bet I'm going to be happy with my results.

Plan to deal with my gas contamination includes a ECU error check and an injector eval by the dealer. Other suggestions welcome.

FWIW, its not ridden in stop-and-go, obviously I don't lug a bike like this. Analysis from Oil Analyzers, Indianapolis lab.

1. Since this is your first UOA as basic as this question is I need to ask. When you took the oil sample was the oil at full (hot) operating temperature and around the middle of the oil drain?

2. Curious why you are using a 5/40 oil, does your owners manual call for it? Doesnt make sense to me unless you ride in below freezing temperatures. ( I just noticed another reply in here says 10/40 is the required oil, so why a 5/40)?

3. Dont flame me for saying this, but I think in forums we like to talk about track time/high speeds ect as a macho type of thing, personally to me a short trip daily driver in traffric is far more hard on a transmission and engine. :eek:) ... one thing for sure, using the proper weight oil and proper spec oil at any price, even $4 a quart Valvoline is just fine and will get the same and in this case better results.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts. 5w40 is the recommended weight for the S1000RR, but yes 10w can be used as noted. I was just following recommendations from the German manu. Thx for the weight feedback, I'll see how far the dealer will cover me; ideal seems to be the 15 at least.

As for sample, yes, followed the instructions as noted by Oil Analyzers including the mid-drain pull.

Lastly, the bike did not have an error code I knew of, just that the dealer would check for one before me getting it back. FWIW, there was none.

I think synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil or straight grade / monograde oil in 40 or 50 weight (ones with detergent and weather permitting) would suit better than 10w-40. I would bet that with sustained HTHS numbers and un-exhausted high temp AW additives, you are unlikely to wear out the cylinders as fast.

Originally Posted by Sportbiker
Anybody think its weird they're asking me for a base sample of 300V? Shouldn't they already have that on file from someone in the past?

I thought the same thing, but I just sent another lab 4 virgin samples of readily available oils (PUP, Delo XLE, Ravenol DXG, and Motul 4100 Power) and they said my tests would take a day longer because they had to run additional tests since none of those oils were in their database. So, I'm hoping my VOAs include all the data from the extra tests they had to run
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Brian553
I think synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil or straight grade / monograde oil in 40 or 50 weight (ones with detergent and weather permitting) would suit better than 10w-40. I would bet that with sustained HTHS numbers and un-exhausted high temp AW additives, you are unlikely to wear out the cylinders as fast.

The oil is not to blame, Sportbiker's BMW had 1781 miles, with 3.6% fuel dilution. The ECU, or the injectors have a malfunction. That said, its pretty much a proven fact that Motul 300v is the bench mark for shared sump 4 stroke motorcycles. Nothing has proven to shift better in a shared sump, that's where the 300v really proves it is the bench mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back