Chevron Supreme color change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I changed oil (out M1 EP 10Wx30 @ 7400 gdi miles) i saved some in a clean clear glass jar to get uoa. Haven't done that yet but iirc this was about a month and half ago.

at that time I wanted to visually compare it (old m1 ep) to a fresh 10Wx30 to see if I can notice any thickening due to oxidation, etc.
I had some Chevron Supreme 10Wx30 nearby and poured some fresh oil into a clean clear plastic coke bottle and closed the cap. The fresh oil looked very clear with nice bright Amber color ...

Today I happened to wonder off to that part of the garage and noticed the CS bottle was really merky & foggy like caramel color ...

Garage never got below 50°F and above 60°F ...

What's going on? Is the plastic coke bottle fighting with oil chemicals and has a different plastic material than the Chevron Supreme bottle?

My bet is the oil is slowly breaking down the plastic Coke bottle, which is not made of the same material as the Chevron Supreme bottle.

I agree that, the oil is in a clear Coke bottle and not a darker colored bottle/jug. Even if an oil bottle/jug is white such as VWB, it's still a different plastic compound to handle the additives and also lets less outside light shine through...like a good beer!
smile.gif
No Miller High Life, Matt's, Corona or Old Vienna.

Just saying!

Last edited:
try it again with glass and see if it repeats. To many variables.

I commented about valvoline synthetic doing that when I had a quart sitting in a 5 qt jub (top off oil). After pouring PP which is water clear the Valvoline synthetic seemed cloudy when pouring with the same flashlight shining through it.

consensus was that valvoline just looks like that. Finished that 10K OCI with no irregularities so i guess they are right. Superstition has moved valvoline down on my list just because I dont like cloudy looking oil.
smile.gif
even if its "fine".

It probably has to do with VII's. When VII's contract and expand due to temp change however small it maybe, the color changes.

moisture mixed with motor oil will look like a light brownish milky creamy liquid. If it looks like creamy milk with a small amount of chocolate mixed in (the light brownish color), then it's 99.999% moisture.

Obviously any oil not in its original container is subject to contamination. Who knows what was in that "clean" Coca Cola bottle. High Fructose Corn Syrup for example.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
try it again with glass and see if it repeats. To many variables.

Yes, like a very clean pickle jar, with a snug fitting (rubber seal) cap

The oil in the original CS opened bottle looks very nice!and
Maybe the plastic coke bottle and/or some moisture in the bottle caused this.
I may try it with a clear & "clean" glass jar as suggested ...

If a lil moisture can cause this, wonder what happens in the engine!

I went to the garage and apologized to every quart of Chevron Supreme
grin.gif

I have about 20 quarts of 5Wx30 and 10Wx30 so it took a while!
My wife asked me who I was talking to ... I said I hurt some feelings and was listening to the Supremes
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back