PG 5 micron filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Well perhaps they don't care to be or feel it's necessary to be that specific.

Why do you want this to work so bad?

My response to your question is this..why do you you guys want this to NOT work so bad?
I'm ok if it's just a nominal rating of 5 microns.
In the return line to my transmission that is exponentially better than just the pan filter now. I'll sleep ok either way.
I'm just not sold on the idea that premium guard is putting false information on their product boxes and on their website. I think it's a reputable company.
I'm not 100% convinced , however, either.
Of course Id prefer it to be everything they claim it is, Why wouldn't I?

Well, it's certainly not a 99% @ 5 micron filter. I do believe 96% @ 20 microns though, as their website specs showed for this particular oil filter.

Right … I just changed the first stage fuel filter on my outboard motor … those are only 10 micron factory spec'd for low flow of gasoline …

7F092EF6-FFCC-4539-BAD6-0C26BBFB898A.jpeg

Last edited:
the wix equivalent is a 5 nominal, 2/20=6/20 with 7-9 gpm (pt#57348)

I've been running theses filters for years on my Sportsters.

Originally Posted by Purpfox
the wix equivalent is a 5 nominal, 2/20=6/20 ...

Close, but that beta rating says it's 6 microns nominal. Beta 2 is 50% efficient. (Beta 2 at 6 microns is what it shows).

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Close, but that beta rating says it's 6 microns nominal. Beta 2 is 50% efficient. (Beta 2 at 6 microns is what it shows).

If it filters down to 6 microns at 50% isnt it surley gonna filter out 5 microns at not too much less, hince nominal at 5 microns?

Originally Posted by Pinoak

If it filters down to 6 microns at 50% isnt it surley gonna filter out 5 microns at not too much less, hince nominal at 5 microns?

Yeah, but that would be around 40~45% at 5 microns. Like I said, it was close.

In fact, there are really three ratings for that filter; the main website page, the specific filter page, and the box. All are in contradiction of each other.
- we see claims of 99% at 25um: https://www.pgfilters.com/oil-filters/
- a claim of 96% at 20um: https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/PG63798/2010-Harley-Davidson-FLHX-Street-Glide/Oil-Filter/
- and the picture in this thread of the box stating 5um, with unknown efficiency

More than a week ago, I sent in an email via PG's "contact" page on their website.
I inquired about the rating discrepancy between their website info and the box for that specific filter.
I have heard nothing back.
I suspect they either ignored it, or are in a quiet panic to fix it behind the scenes. Either way, they are unlikely to admit it outwardly.

As for the filter itself .... I am in agreement with Zee here; it's likely 96% at 20um. That's very believable and would fit the expected application conditions. And, it's well marketed to the HD semi-faithful! Give them something that feels good; facts be darned.

Last edited:
You made a good pick for your hydraulic circuit. Not many others state in writing anything about 5 microns. The media made in USA is a plus, looks like a Champ Labs or Wix backing screen. Media could be special for finer filtration, which is what you were after it seems. The rest of the filter looks as well done as it could be done.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
In fact, there are really three ratings for that filter; the main website page, the specific filter page, and the box. All are in contradiction of each other.
- a claim of 96% at 20um: https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/PG63798/2010-Harley-Davidson-FLHX-Street-Glide/Oil-Filter/
- and the picture in this thread of the box stating 5um, with unknown efficiency

The box statement is written to make it look like it's 99% @ 5 microns. With an asterix after "at 5 microns" that leads to no additional info. Advertising hype in action.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
You made a good pick for your hydraulic circuit. Not many others state in writing anything about 5 microns. The media made in USA is a plus, looks like a Champ Labs or Wix backing screen. Media could be special for finer filtration, which is what you were after it seems. The rest of the filter looks as well done as it could be done.

Thank you and yes I was looking for something easily obtainable and not terribly highly priced that can filter as finley as possible.
And you are correct I appreciate that they are confident enough in their own product to state it.
I only found this and the Harley filter claim it in writing. It's just speculation otherwise.

Harley is even nebulous than PG in their efficiency claim.

Considering how little oil actually flows through a Harley motor. Ill stick to the wix where i at east have a feeling of some reputable data.

Many years ago, more than a decade as I recall, when Harley Davidson came out with their "5um" filter, I looked up the Wix match on their website. They paired the 51348 for the HD application. Folks went nuts and said that Wix was obviously putting out an inferior filter for the HD faithful. I emailed Wix at the time, and they actually did reply. They stated that they took the HD filter, did PCs tests on it, and it was just a chromed "normal" performing filter. Essentially a reverse-engineering effort. And so Wix did a match-up on characteristics (thread pitch, size, flow, BP delta, etc) and the 51348 was the right choice. Over the last decade, they have change the filter offering, but it's still nothing super-duper special; beta 2/20=6/20 (their whitewashed numbers for many applications).

Most of us here on BITOG are smart enough to realize that marketing hype and sales rhetoric are king; these entice the uninformed (and often brand faithful) to buy stuff that isn't really any better than a typical aftermarket offering. But the gullible are a strong presence in most any market, whether it be oil filters, guns, stereo speakers, toothpaste, cell phones, etc ... There are informed shoppers and there are uninformed shoppers. Caveat Emptor.

This PG filter isn't a bad filter from what I can tell. But it's nothing special by any stretch; there are plenty of other choices that are as good or even better, and some for less money. And the dubious multi-statement ratings stuff would turn me away from buying it, just on principle.

Last edited:

The box statement is written to make it look like it's 99% @ 5 microns. With an asterix after "at 5 microns" that leads to no additional info. Advertising hype in action.

You are correct.
I was simply tying to convey that because the asterisk is undefined anywhere on the box, it's an unknown.
I agree that they are using near-unethical methods for advertising, but I was just trying to stick to the full statements; because they don't define the asterisk on the box, it's "unknown", versus the defined statements on their website.

As I mentioned in the post above this ... this kind of deceptive practice would lead me away from PG on principle alone. The product may be OK, but it's nothing I cannot get from other brands that are more descriptive and less deceptive.
I vote with my dollars; won't spend my money to reward this kind of malarkey.

Last edited:

You are correct.
I was simply tying to convey that because the asterisk is undefined anywhere on the box, it's an unknown.
I agree that they are using near-unethical methods for advertising, but I was just trying to stick to the full statements; because they don't define the asterisk on the box, it's "unknown", versus the defined statements on their website.

As I mentioned in the post above this ... this kind of deceptive practice would lead me away from PG on principle alone. The product may be OK, but it's nothing I cannot get from other brands that are more descriptive and less deceptive.
I vote with my dollars; won't spend my money to reward this kind of malarkey.

This 100% correct!
01.gif

Probably 5 microns "nominal". Speaking of WIx, a lot of their XE filters are 5 microns nominal. It Will does not hide what "nominal" means in terms of microns and percentage. Beta ratios available as well.

From Wix own Q&A:

. A: Nominal rating usually means the filter can capture a given percentage of particles of a stated size (e.g. 50% @ 10 micron). Absolute rating is the smallest typical particle size retained by a filter media at 98+% efficiency. This is also referred to as the Beta=75 or 98.67% efficiency rating.

The "5-micron filter" is pure marketing. There are a LOT of filters out there that can hit that target. Maybe every FU and TG being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back