Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20, 3,252 miles, 2015 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L (4B11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping engine within the 6 month OCI as required by the warranty which will expire at 60,000 mi; following the end of the warranty, I will be more than willing to extend the OCI in terms of both milage and time. This change was run though a K&N HP-1004 which is what I threw on again for the current fill, only now giving PP 0W-20 a try. Slightly concerned with the Mobil thinning out at operating temp to 6.98 cSt, though this is still in spec for the weight, so not too worried.

15 LANCER-181230.png

Flash point a tad low. Either these motors tear up oil or 0w20 M1 aint cutting it.Glad you did change it out when you did. Maybe try M1EP or something else like Quaker State/Pennzoil synthetic. Thanks for sharing.
welcome2.gif

Seems there's probably fuel in the oil with that flashpoint. That isn't just the oil shearing down.

Do you short trip the car often?

I do short trip often. Driving during this OCI was probably 60% highway / 40% city, but with that said, the city miles that were put on were more than likely sub-10 mile trips.

Originally Posted by czbrian
Although the results aren't bad, after seeing this I'll probably go with a 5w30 for my next OCI on my Outlander.

I'd be doing the same thing.

Great report, nothing out of the ordinary except fuel, the oil held up well. You have significant fuel dilution from the drop in flash point, the Blackstone 1.5% figure should no be relied on as their method for determining fuel dilution is not accurate.

I would not extend the OCI unless your future driving is a higher percentage highway.

Why do so many people use Blackstone, when they don't use gas chromotography? Are they that much cheaper, than the competitors, or just more advertising. At one time i sent 2 identical samples to 2 different labs. One lab said oil was fine, & could extend the drain intervals, & the other lab was well over their 2.0% fuel dilution limit & recommended changing it sooner than I have been.

I questioned the lab, & they said they weren't set up to do gas chromotography, & they cater more to the diesel engine industry.
They also didn't do a 40 C viscosity (100 F) on the oil, where the other lab showed it out of spec

Whys does Blackstone have such a wide window for the viscosity? When you indicate the oil being used, or supply a virgin oil baseline, they should have the exact spec?

Good point. Over the course of the OCI, I probably only drove it while it was below freezing a handful of times; granted frequent short-tripping in ~45°f temps come end of November and into December in the weeks before the oil analysis was completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back