Friend only wants to do brakes on one side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many other jobs would have me reaching for the easy way out, but not brakes. He'll have to take up the imbalance in the wear and have all four replaced at some point - better to do it now and have the peace of mind imo. My concern would be with different brands and friction materials if only two were replaced, both in terms of equal braking performance and the possibility of one brand wearing faster than the other.

I have always been taught to replace brake pads in pairs and that is what I do. I don't want to have a potential situation where there is uneven braking force.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by OhioMazda
I think that you want both sides to apply EXACTLY the same braking force to avoid pulling to one side. Therefore, the right way to do the job is to replace both sets of rotors and pads.

I'm not sure that having different pad thicknesses equates to unequal braking force. Any difference is made up by the caliper piston, which is adjusted by the brake fluid in the lines. Your brake lines would have to be the exact same length to make everything equal. Are brake lines the exact same length ?

Actually, I was thinking in terms of different brands of pads and rotors having slightly different coefficients of friction. A shop that's doing one side of of car may not take care to use the same make/model of pad/rotor that is on the other side.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Originally Posted by diyjake
Brake pads are sold in pairs so why not replace both sides? As for the rotor, if it's perfectly fine you can probably get away with reusing the old one.

This

+2

+3

Originally Posted by OhioMazda
I think that you want both sides to apply EXACTLY the same braking force to avoid pulling to one side. Therefore, the right way to do the job is to replace both sets of rotors and pads.

I'm not sure that having different pad thicknesses equates to unequal braking force. Any difference is made up by the caliper piston, which is adjusted by the brake fluid in the lines. Your brake lines would have to be the exact same length to make everything equal. Are brake lines the exact same length ?

The braking force applied on the pads are equalised on both sides simultaneously at unitary fluid pressure of a single common feed line.
The unequal pad thickness, if any and typically unequal brake line lengths on both sides do NOT matter under typical braking condition.
Hence, unequal braking force on both sides is a myth under proper brake operating conditions.

Last edited:
The issue is not pad thickness, it's bedding. Until the pad is worn-in to full contact, and the rotor embedded with pad particles, the newer side will have less friction than the older side. A temporary condition, to be sure, but a liability factor that a commercial shop won't want.

And as OhioMazda points out, if different brands/types are used, they may never equalize.

Originally Posted by zeng

Hence, unequal braking force on both sides is a myth under proper brake operating conditions.

False - with regard to force at the ROTOR, which is what matters.

Three is equal pressure at the piston on each side, fluid dynamics make that invariable barring mechanical impediments with the piston (which do sometimes happen). I agree pad thickness should not matter. But that's not what we are talking about here.

But you are assuming ANY pad will transmit that force equally well. If that were true, there would be no difference in performance from organic, semi-metallic, or ceramic pads. Also, that means there would be no difference between different brands.

Different pads will act, well, differently. Some might bot be noticeable. Some will. Since you already have a pair for each wheel, why gamble?

Ever hit the brake in a non Anti-lock-brake vehicle in Winter, on ice, or even on a rainy day when one brake has more bite as the other side?
Ever?

Being cheap on brakes - stop driving a car. Take the bus or the train.

Sorry for sounding rude, but....

Originally Posted by zeng

The braking force applied on the pads are equalised on both sides simultaneously at unitary fluid pressure of a single common feed line.
The unequal pad thickness, if any and typically unequal brake line lengths on both sides do NOT matter under typical braking condition.

I'm refering to hydraulic-related force on the pad/rotor on both sides of a car, which to be specific, is perpendicular to the rotor surfaces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAuVDB-G-HQ

Originally Posted by Oro_O
False - with regard to force at the ROTOR, which is what matters.

Three is equal pressure at the piston on each side, fluid dynamics make that invariable barring mechanical impediments with the piston (which do sometimes happen). I agree pad thickness should not matter. But that's not what we are talking about here.

But you are assuming ANY pad will transmit that force equally well. If that were true, there would be no difference in performance from organic, semi-metallic, or ceramic pads. Also, that means there would be no difference between different brands.

Different pads will act, well, differently. Some might bot be noticeable. Some will. Since you already have a pair for each wheel, why gamble?

Are you refering to the same?
Next , did I say ANY pad .... in the context of differing materials and brands ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back