Washing under car at self-service wash (salt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's worthwhile. I figure one of the main advantages of a coin op car wash is to really get under there and give it the business.

I used to ski every weekend and I still see my Dodge around town twenty years later. I would habitually do the coin op thing on my return from the slopes.

There used to be a product called Salt Away for do-it-yourselfers. Sodium Thiosulfate as I recall. I don't know if it really worked or not.

If I lived up north, I would get ny truck Krowned every year. (Oil treatment).

I dont bother. How long do you plan to keep the car? If over 10 years, id suggest just getting an oil treatment yearly instead. Never hsd an oil treatment on my 07 Corolla and rust is still not an issue..and thry use alot of salt up here!

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Malo83
Do it yourself with a lawn sprinkler, just idle back and forth over the sprinkler moving side to side.

You can't have your hoses hooked up to the facet-they freeze the line and break the pipe.

That's why you do what I have done for years. Disconnect and drain the hose after each use.

I try to kneel and wave the wand under while going from soap to wax or rinse. Doing it religiously a little everytime is about all that can be done sometimes.

When the snow melts and causes large puddles I just drive through them at speed. Yeah its dirty water but the car is still filthy from the storm so splashing through some puddles doesn't make it any dirtier.

Don

I do on-call troubleshooting/maintenance at a 4 bay fully automated car wash 5 blocks from home. 2 touch-free, an 2 soft-touch bays with great high pressure undercar sprayers with fresh water. I get the opportunity to do a "test wash" anytime I want, and the undersides of my vehicles has never been cleaner. In the summer I sometimes wave my hand in front of the photo-eye and wait for the under car wash to time out. I really don't need to wash the bottom every time when it's just got a little dust on the car. Water when not needed is not good either.
Another thing I get to do when all of the car washes have to shut down when it's below zero, I can pull my car into a heated bay, thaw it out for 20-30 minutes, run it through, and have the only clean car around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dadillac
When the snow melts and causes large puddles I just drive through them at speed. Yeah its dirty water but the car is still filthy from the storm so splashing through some puddles doesn't make it any dirtier.

Don

Around here those puddles are loaded with road salt from the melted snow and ice. I avoid them if possible and do a fresh water undercarriage wash, first chance I get.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by CKN
Do it yourself with a lawn sprinkler, just idle back and forth over the sprinkler moving side to side.

You can't have your hoses hooked up to the facet-they freeze the line and break the pipe.

That's why you do what I have done for years. Disconnect and drain the hose after each use.

You can get a frost-proof spigot where the valve guts are a foot inside-- and inside the foundation.

I blow my garden hoses out with air and a tire valve stem (core removed) jammed up against one end to prevent freezing.

That's been my mud, sand, and brackish water clean up for years … only I park over it and let the truck cool first … then drag it a few feet now and then to cover bumper to bumper …
if I did a deep water (salty) crossing … have added a Salt Away eduction kit (for outboard motor) …

Fortunately we only freeze when northers pass … (tonight will barely reach freezing) …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
I built an undercarriage washer out of PVC and some materials from the hardware store. Cost like $ 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2iMtVYMw9I

You could probably buy/make an adapter to hook up to the carwash wand if you really wanted to.

I built the same one. It gets the job done easily.

I like the sprinkler method mentioned above. Maybe put in a hot-water tap and do this on milder days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I made one of these [Homemade Undercarriage Washer] which was posted on this site before. It works well.

I recommend turning the volume down.

Hey thats my video:) im so glad to hear that others were able to make the undercarriage washer and found it useful! ...ƒ

**Also sorry about the loud music/intro that was when I was new to video making and still learning. Ive since changed the intro and chose quieter music
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Howto_101
I made one of these [Homemade Undercarriage Washer] which was posted on this site before. It works well.

Hey thats my video:) im so glad to hear that others were able to make the undercarriage washer and found it useful! ...ƒ

**Also sorry about the loud music/intro that was when I was new to video making and still learning. Ive since changed the intro and chose quieter music
smile.gif

Welcome aboard. Thanks for posting the video, it has helped me and a few people I turned onto it!

smile.gif

That's a great setup. Thanks for sharing.
welcome2.gif
as well!

The first thing I would do before using any car wash is to find out if they use fresh water, if they filter the salt out before reusing it if it's recycled, or if they just use recycled water. If they recycle it without filtering it, you're just spraying salt water from other people's vehicles all over your vehicle...

smile.gif

Welcome aboard. Thanks for posting the video, it has helped me and a few people I turned onto it!

Originally Posted by StevieC

smile.gif

welcome2.gif
as well!

Thank you
smile.gif
i noticed that alot of my youtube traffic was from this site so i had to come check it out to see what it was all about!
Its so cool to see you guys actually made the washer and found it useful! Makes me happy to hear that im helping others with my videos!!
smile.gif

smile.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC

smile.gif

welcome2.gif
as well!

Thank you
smile.gif
i noticed that alot of my youtube traffic was from this site so i had to come check it out to see what it was all about!
Its so cool to see you guys actually made the washer and found it useful! Makes me happy to hear that im helping others with my videos!!
smile.gif

I used it yesterday. They salt roads in anticipation of snow early in the season, even if the odds of snow are 1 in a 10,000. That occurs on Sunday's and Holidays because they're double time pay days. Then when there's no money in the budget and it does snow we have problems. LOL Anyway we got flurries [for about 30 seconds], a few days ago and they salted the roads. Out came the wand to wash that crap off. Keep up the good work!

demarpaint said:
Howto_101 said:
demarpaint said:

I used it yesterday. They salt roads in anticipation of snow early in the season, even if the odds of snow are 1 in a 10,000. That occurs on Sunday's and Holidays because they're double time pay days. Then when there's no money in the budget and it does snow we have problems. LOL Anyway we got flurries [for about 30 seconds], a few days ago and they salted the roads. Out came the wand to wash that crap off. Keep up the good work!

Thank you!! and Yeah, they do the same around me! its impossible to keep up, once you finally give your car a good washing they are salting or putting the brine on the roads again haha we got about 3 inches the other day and it all froze so it was basically just sheets of ice so they basically painted the roads white with the brine and salt so I'm going to wash mine today and use the undercarriage washer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back