New guage cluster need to be programed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2013 Honda Ridgeline that has about 54,000 miles on it. The electronic odometer has quite working and now just shows several dash's like ------. The dealer wants $750 for a new gauge cluster plus tax & installation. I can buy the new Honda part on line or $579 including shipping and no tax. I could install it myself.

The dealer can send their new the part to have the odometer set to the correct amount for $125 and I could do the same for the part I get online.

Do I even need to have it reset or if I sell the vehicle can I just give evidence of a recent Honda repair receipt with the current millage and also the receipt for the new gauge cluster?

Does the gauge cluster need to be programed to work when if I install it myself if I don't need to reset the odometer?

Thanks a lot.

The dealer needs to send the odometer out? For 750 I`d ask that they install a calibrated odometer but first have you tried disconnecting the battery ground for 20 minutes to possibly re-boot same? A similar situation with a Trailblazer which is of course different
did work for me. Good luck

If the odo doesn't work, how do you know it has 54k on it? I'm not sure I'd pay that kind of money to repair an odometer on a 6 year old car.

Call either DNA speedometer in Florida or United Radio Syracuse, NY for rebuilding the one you have for a whole lot less money and no resetting or programing necessary.

There are places that will repair your cluster for a lot less than what the dealer wants. Here are a couple I came across last time I looked for information about this. It might be worth checking to see if they can fix your model.

https://www.instrumentclusters.com/odometer-repair

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/

Module Master repaired a Silverado ABS module for me about 13 years ago, and it's still working fine.

I got my Chevy trucks cluster rebuilt 2 years ago for $200. Works like new. A local speedometer shop repaired mine in 1 day.

i have a 2001 audi TT with some bad gauges + display that was a defect fixed free in the past so i was looking into a repair. be aware of a specific procedure to remove your cluster + usually shipping overnight $$$ both ways is used unless your lucky locally. modern gauge clusters are "married" to your key so repairing is way better than paying the STEALER $$$$$$ IMO. there is info on the repair sites about costs etc. several audi owners used module-masters with success + that is of course what you want!!!

If you plan to sell before reaching a really high number of miles, non-working odometer is a deal killer. You'd have to brand the title "Actual Miles Unknown" and the buyer's offer will reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back