19 Elantra vs corolla vs civic vs 18 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I wanted to get rid of my 2011 cruze LS (piece of junk).

Now I'm looking for a reliable fuel efficient compact car, automatic, non-turbo, with maybe some nice rims, but steel wheels may be an option as well.

Civic is the most expensive of the bunch right now, elantra is the most affordable.

Please give me your inputs, thanks!

Last edited:
Do you want a simple appliance to go from point A to point B? Toyota.

You want to have some fun and throw the car around some corners? Mazda.

I'd put the Civic and Elantra somewhere between the 2, but more on the appliance side.

Any of those mentioned will be an upgrade over the Cruze. We had a '12 Cruze in the family and the best day it had was the day it was traded away. One thing for the Elantra is no CVT and no direct injection. We considered one when we bought my son's Subaru Impreza. The AWD was the difference maker in our decision, but the Hyundai was high on the list. Can't go wrong with the Toyota or Honda either but they will be more expensive. No experience with Mazda, but it is rated highly.

I've been more than happy with my 2017 Elantra. Nice interior, excellent MPG, and at a great price. It also has a MPI, 2L engine and a proven, reliable 6 speed auto trans. However, any one of those 4 cars will serve you well.

The Corolla hatchback
smile.gif

There's always the KIA Forte. It's very similar to the Elantra. The 2.0 Hyundai/KIA engine is very reliable. KIA has gone to a CVT transmission and it may not be what you want. The 2019 Elantra is still equipped with a fluid driven automatic transmission. Having owned a Hyundai and a KIA, I would go with the Elantra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Corolla hatchback
smile.gif

+1, that would be my first choice and comes with the 2 liter engine.

The corolla rentals Ive had just look stupid inside. No thanks. Old ones were blah, but less poser blah.

The civic lines take them or leave them. I saw a civic coupe that looked pretty great. But the 4dr? Meh.

Elantra is in between. I'd give it a hard look for a commuter appliance. Mazda would definitely be a better driving car...

I was in your situation in 2017 and the Elantra won based on price. For me is a great engine/transmission combo. I get good heat in winter but for some it has been an issue. There is a TSB fix some people are getting. Others seem frustrated.

Engine temp issues

Get a Camry instead, same mpg, much nicer car, may be cheaper to insure in your area. If you want a compact car I'd get a Subaru Impreza if the pricing is similar in Canada (it's about the same in the US). If not look at a Mazda 3. The hatch is more versatile.

The Elantra IS a direct Injected motor. They have been since 2014.

If you wait till 2020 they will have the dual injected per cylinder motor. They are in Asia right now ,and the US and Canada get them the next year.

Originally Posted by Mainia
The Elantra IS a direct Injected motor. They have been since 2014.

If you wait till 2020 they will have the dual injected per cylinder motor. They are in Asia right now ,and the US and Canada get them the next year.

2019 Elantra IS NOT a Direct Injected Motor in 2.0L Size. Only in Turbo version.

Just look at the Specs on their website: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/specifications.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back