2015 BIOS date Lenovo 4 core AMD PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea if there is a 6 core AMD CPU that would be plug & play with my present motherboard ?

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Any idea if there is a 6 core AMD CPU that would be plug & play with my present motherboard ?

Thanks , :)

That is kind of hard to answer without a model number, motherboard model, or some sort of useful information

Its very possible but without more information the cost to actual performance increase or even the possibility are unknown.

Last edited:
Why 6 cores over 4? Additional CORES will only speed up Multi-Threaded applications like compression programs Zip and Rar OR picture/video/grapics processing applications. 98% of all applications are single threaded with no multi core optimizations. Look for the same core count in a higher speed GHZ and it will process faster. I believe AMD has a utility to disable some cores to decrease heat which allows fewer cores to run faster on overclock.

A very common misconception about more cores is assumption they would make a computer faster. but In real world applications usage you are most often much better off with a higher clock speed CPU with less cores within the same family. The newest CPU's have dynamic thermal throttling and core disabling to manage CPU heat and thus maintain highest performance levels of real world apps automagically.

Last edited:
On real CPU's and real Operating Systems, more cores and more threads (really register windows) mean more simultaneous processes can run. So each process is not faster, but more stuff can get done in the same amount of time without slowing everything else down.

Then there's the WinTel world, where threads/register windows are limited to 2 per core (yet are "hyper"), and the dominate operating system is afraid to use them outside a single core and context (process).

Originally Posted by DrDanger
I double checked with google and unfortunately there are no 6 core mobile AMDs available or in the pipeline.

He didnt say mobile?

Originally Posted by DrDanger
I double checked with google and unfortunately there are no 6 core mobile AMDs available or in the pipeline.

This is a PC .

I watch videos from the internet . Used to do video conversion , but not much any more .

Hoping more cores would speed things up , on a budget . Just finished installing a SSD for my boot drive .

More cores can definitely speed of video conversions, at least on most software that take advantage of more cores. My 8-core AMD beats the pants off my Core i5, at least in that department.

SSD and RAM is your friend for cheap speed. After that the CPU is the expensive choice, unless we're talking about obsolete CPU's on eBay or closeout.

I would post to a Lenovo forum. There are people there who track every combination Lenovo makes, and look at BIOS codes to see what's supported. I guess that's their hobby.

Why do you think you need more speed, you don't seem to run anything that taxes what you have?

I spend my day doing the same as you, on a Microsoft Go, which has a whopping 2-core 1.6 GHz chip.

I also have an overclocked i7 4790k at 4.6 GHz, with 32 GB RAM, and 3 SSD's. I use it to process thousands of astro photos about 6 times a year using Lightroom. I still want more power for THAT load, but it's overkill for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back