Cold start -we don't need no stinkin "W" rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colorado has been sitting all day

20190115_175111.jpg

20190115_175119.jpg

20190115_175107.jpg

Backed it up with two 20 minute sauna sessions at 65, 10 mins apart then a ten minute soak in a cold bath

20190115_185721.jpg

Yep, left work at nearly 6PM, and the car and ambient at 40C...104Fs...sauna 150

Originally Posted by Shannow
Backed it up with two 20 minute sauna sessions at 65, 10 mins apart then a ten minute soak in a cold bath

ambient should be at least 100c in sauna. But nice to see you using saunaðŸ‘

They say that process you are doing is good for your health.

Bjornviken...I could only fit a one person Far Infrared sauna in my bathroom....65 is as far as it goes.

Since discovering Wim Hof, have been pushing myself around a bit...and it's reaping benefits...the statistics are quite amazing when you read the studies for all cause mortality for the people in your region of the world.

It was 12 deg F at my PA log house on the top of the hill the other morning. My poor Jaguar X-Type 2.5L would not climb the steep gravel driveway. Not due to snow, but due to lack of power. I guess the engine needs to warm up more than just 30 seconds before being asked to do real work.

It was supposed to be well below 0F when I went skiing last Saturday...I was disappointed, I don't trust the accuracy of the temp sensor in my car but it said 3F when I arrived Friday night and 4F when I left the condo around 7:30am.
Not very windy at my place, but it was howling pretty good at the mountain (20-30mph with some gustiness to boot) and the main lift wasn't running...I did my homework and verified before leaving work that the lift was running on Friday, which was definitely a windier day. But, the problem was the wind was blowing ACROSS the lift line on Saturday and making the chairs swing wildly, whereas it blew straight DOWN it Friday and that was not a problem.
I found some little stashes of untracked snow off a smaller lift (cannot call it powder on the East Coast) and had some fun, but I made a big mistake by not going on Sunday, instead...a bit warmer and much less windy then. I figured the lifts would run Saturday if they managed to run them Friday and that it wouldn't be too crowded because of the cold, bad gamble on my part. Couldn't ski both days because I had too much work to do and was in the office all day Sunday!

I didn't get to experience how my engine cranked as I used the remote starter, but around 0F is really nothing at all as far as cold. I'd like to catch a night below -20F and see how it cranks with 0W30...not that I ever had a serious problem with 5W30 at such temps.

Originally Posted by Kira
Said above: "...ambient should be at least 100c in sauna".
That'd be one hot sauna.
And remember, SAUNA is the only word in Finnish you know!

Yeah, might be good for cooking rice but likely fatal to the folks in the sauna.
The only other Finnish word I know offhand is pesapallo (Finnish softball)...my father spoke Finnish at home as a kid but swore he didn't remember a word of it and never taught me any.

Wait, I just remembered karhu (bear)...own some Karhu cross country ski stuff and I looked up the word out of curiousity.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Bjornviken...I could only fit a one person Far Infrared sauna in my bathroom....65 is as far as it goes.

Since discovering Wim Hof, have been pushing myself around a bit...and it's reaping benefits...the statistics are quite amazing when you read the studies for all cause mortality for the people in your region of the world.

Yes he is a intresting man. Read about him a little in some paper article. Didint know it was Infrared sauna. Do you have accsess to a real sauna? What is all cause mortality in my region of the world?

100c its not fatal. Its the normal temp in a Finnish sauna. And it shall burn a little when you trow water on the hot stones. It will pure your soul. And if not.. there is allways koskenkorva🤔🎅

No w needed is because every thing is upside down unlike those of us lucky enough to live in the top part of the Earth.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
100c its not fatal. Its the normal temp in a Finnish sauna. And it shall burn a little when you trow water on the hot stones. It will pure your soul. And if not.. there is allways koskenkorva🤔🎅

Really? Is that the actual air temperature in the sauna??
I feel like there is something I am missing, that sounds lethal to me.

My aunt told me a great story about visiting extended family in Finland and everybody stripping down and getting in the sauna after dinner...I only wish I knew what part of the country she was visiting. She spoke Finnish her whole life, unlike my dad who "forgot" it. They made an interesting pair, she had shockingly red hair (yes, it was natural) while my dad was super blonde when young with icy blue (Paul Newman-esque) eyes...I imagined that he looked more like a "typical" Finn but have no idea if that is really true.

Had to look up Koskenkorva, but I see that it is related to Finlandia vodka, which is common here. I know much more about Norwegian things than Finnish ones as my mom embraced her ancestry while dad very vigorously rejected his.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Yes he is a intresting man. Read about him a little in some paper article. Didint know it was Infrared sauna. Do you have accsess to a real sauna? What is all cause mortality in my region of the world?

There used to be one in town...but I've got mine...the IR penetrates some depth as opposed to the skin effect in a regular.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150223122602.htm
Results show that during a median (midpoint) follow-up of nearly 21 years, there were 190 SCDs, 281 fatal CHDs, 407 fatal CVDs and 929 deaths from all causes. Compared with men who reported one sauna bathing session per week, the risk of SCD was 22 percent lower for 2 to 3 sauna bathing sessions per week and 63 percent lower for 4 to 7 sauna sessions per week. The risk of fatal CHD events was 23 percent lower for 2 to 3 bathing sessions per week and 48 percent lower for 4 to 7 sauna sessions per week compared to once a week. CVD death also was 27 percent lower for men who took saunas 2 to 3 times a week and 50 percent lower for men who were in the sauna 4 to 7 times a week compared with men who indulged just once per week. For all-cause mortality, sauna bathing 2 to 3 times per week was associated with a 24 percent lower risk and 4 to 7 times per week with a 40 percent reduction in risk compared to only one sauna session per week.

vp...yes the fins run 80-100C

Last edited:
Really nice to hear thatðŸ‘, and yes your father looked like a typical finn...Š
They say overhere that peapol with natural red hair have viking genes in them.

And back to Sauna:
Temperature meter shows on the wall in my two diffrent saunas i own 100c when i go in. I do not know the real air temp. But its not far away 100c when you throw water on the stones when the steam comes. And of course i go always via shower.

So 4-7 sessions per week to get 40% percent reduction in risk vs 1 per week. Heh thats pretty much vs me that is only 1 time in week in sauna. But thanks for the infoðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back