Oil Analysis with HotShots, or Archoil? Proof they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I've always been curious how Analysis comes back whilst using products containing these magical Boron molecules... and possible proof that wear metal numbers are lower.

Good question..... I don't recall seeing anything that says it actually helps with lower wear numbers

Generally wear rates are unaffected by most additives, when the additives are used in moderation.

There are some examples of massive wear trend shifts, but they are attributed to significant doses that greatly alter vis, and are often paired with other aftermarket "solutions" to problems imagined (an example would be a recent Dmax UOA posted here that used both Lucas to thicken a 15w-40 and a FF filter that has no BP relief).

The only way to know for sure would be to do a true controlled study; 30 UOAs not using the additive to establish a base control group, and 30 UOAs using the additive. Then analyze the data for averages and stdev; see if you can discern the trend shift amid the noise of daily use. Hint - no one here has the time/money to do this; that's why these topics are the fodder of bench racing and not science.

I have done multiple UOA's with and without Archoil. Wear metals are unaffected. The potassium and boron are higher with it, but then they are supposed to be higher .....

Rev-X and Archoil 9100 are intended to be used for stiction benefits, not for less engine wear.

Last edited:
Stiction is only one of they're purposes. And the FR3 from hot shots doesn't mention stiction at all, they have a separate product for that. It says on all additives of this type that there are "nano" particles that cling to metal wear surfaces to make them smoother for the "host" oil to build a film against. Furthermore, all these products also boast that they reduce overall engine wear by around 50%. Which they claim leads to better fuel economy, and greater power. I'm assuming these "nano" particles are the potassium borate?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bismic1
I have done multiple UOA's with and without Archoil. Wear metals are unaffected. The potassium and boron are higher with it, but then they are supposed to be higher .....

Rev-X and Archoil 9100 are intended to be used for stiction benefits, not for less engine wear.

Bismic- wouldn't you think with the healthy dose of AW additives and such that the wear would decrease some over time? I don't think this is visible with a couple UOA's and could only be picked up on a controlled study of many UOA's as DNewton stated.

Originally Posted by Troglodyte
Stiction is only one of they're purposes. And the FR3 from hot shots doesn't mention stiction at all, they have a separate product for that. It says on all additives of this type that there are "nano" particles that cling to metal wear surfaces to make them smoother for the "host" oil to build a film against. Furthermore, all these products also boast that they reduce overall engine wear by around 50%. Which they claim leads to better fuel economy, and greater power. I'm assuming these "nano" particles are the potassium borate?

If you read the label on their Stiction Eliminator, it supposedly has FR3 in it. You may be able to figure out what that means for your engine... I can't.

This.....and listen to this guy fellas. He's pretty darn knowledgeable on these 6.0s...

Hey Bismic....BBslider001 here from over at the other place
smile.gif

Originally Posted by bbslider001

This.....and listen to this guy fellas. He's pretty darn knowledgeable on these 6.0s...

Hey Bismic....BBslider001 here from over at the other place
smile.gif

Howdy Byron! Thanks for the post!

Do either of you guys like the Hot Shots Stiction Eliminator? I've heard so many mixed reviews about the stuff but 90% of them swear it works great. I dumped some in my 05 last night, to hopefully buy me some time before I replace injectors. I figured it can't hurt since it was on sale at TSC.

A Tech friend really likes it and has seen it work in quite a few trucks. That said, I tend to look at all the additives as bandaids. I have never tried Hot Shots myself because you have to add quite a bit initially (2 qts). Even though it seems like a lot, the entire capacity (dry fill volume) for the 6.0L is between 17 and 18 qts, so I guess a couple of quarts isn't a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back