Survey: Half of DC area workers would leave job to work for Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 02SE

Yes it became clear, when you said this:

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
No, maybe they could retire.

I felt retiring was a bit nicer and less drastic than condemning them to death.
lol.gif

lol.gif

But you do seem to want them out, regardless.

My point is it's none of your business why they are still working, or whether they even can retire, IF they would like to.

Originally Posted by Kage860
I'm a millenial and unfortunately my generation is shaping up to be possibly the worst ever, even worse than baby boomers. Hopefully generation z will be better, theres people comparing gen z to the greatest generation.

Stop the silly talk. Boomers are horrid. They had everything handed to them and squandered and stole. Absolute bottom feeders.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Everyone forgets about the Xers.
smile.gif
LOL

Gen Xer here...
smile.gif

Xenial here but almost a Gen-X'er. Definitely not a millennial.

Originally Posted by hatt
I'm a millenial and unfortunately my generation is shaping up to be possibly the worst ever, even worse than baby boomers. Hopefully generation z will be better, theres people comparing gen z to the greatest generation.

Stop the silly talk. Boomers are horrid. They had everything handed to them and squandered and stole. Absolute bottom feeders.

"Every generation thinks those after it are useless" or something like that....

I think its clear boomers had things a little easier for the most part. And to Jeepman's point... It just seems the older generation holds onto working maybe longer than they should? I know quite a few older folks who just continue to work with inflated salaries because they either didn't plan for retirement, or flat out don't know what they would do without work.

The current generation has the issue of stagnated salaries
https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-kill-industries-because-poor-fed-report-2018-11

"Average real labor earnings for male household heads working full time were 18% and 27% higher for Gen Xers and baby boomers when they were young compared with millennials, the study found. For young women, the difference was smaller — 12% for Gen Xers and 24% for boomers — but earlier generations were still making more money when they were younger among similar demographics."

Depends... My dad is a boomer but was born to a poor family and had to work for everything he had.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Amen!

However, nowadays they are being thought about safe places, micro aggressions, gender this or gender that or that there is no gender, white privelage and a ton of other useless garbage, while kids in India, China and other developing countries are being though math, sciences, literature and trades.

Who is teaching kids this idiocy? Who came up with the idea of participation throphies? Me thinks it's the same generation that now complains about millennials a lot.

Not sure about India but China has it worse. Their millennial (or should be called post 90s generation) are all ONLY CHILD, raised by 4 grand parents as the only grand children in many cases.

Imagine you expect at least 1 out of the 6 adult around you will do everything you want, even if you don't want it and want to do things yourself...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by deven
Until they realize how crappy Amazon treats them. I have heard horror stories about how the warehouses are cold as ice and employees are supposed to work in that environment. Google it. Some of the articles just baffles me as to how they haven't been sued yet. Oh wait they got deep pockets!

These jobs are white collar office jobs, not warehouse jobs.
People with degrees working in IT career field may want a change (whether Gov shutdown or not)..

If I had an IT background I'd probably take a bite at the Amazon carrot.

A lot depends upon what Amazon would actually offer these workers.
Most would find inferior terms and conditions with maybe a huge bonus offered if only this or that happens.
Most would also find working in a land of arbitrary and capricious performance reviews daunting.
For most workers in most areas of expertise, better the devil known.
Not any real shortage of IT savvy workers.
Now, were I one of those essential federal employees currently working without pay, I'd send my resume to Jeff & C. and jump at any offer.
Amazon might be a tough place, but they at least pay people for their hours of work and one could always go back to TSA or BOP when the paychecks start flowing again, since both have long had plenty of openings.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

"Every generation thinks those after it are useless" or something like that....

I think its clear boomers had things a little easier for the most part. And to Jeepman's point... It just seems the older generation holds onto working maybe longer than they should? I know quite a few older folks who just continue to work with inflated salaries because they either didn't plan for retirement, or flat out don't know what they would do without work.

The current generation has the issue of stagnated salaries
https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-kill-industries-because-poor-fed-report-2018-11

"Average real labor earnings for male household heads working full time were 18% and 27% higher for Gen Xers and baby boomers when they were young compared with millennials, the study found. For young women, the difference was smaller — 12% for Gen Xers and 24% for boomers — but earlier generations were still making more money when they were younger among similar demographics."

I work with someone who will work until he drops dead, because his wife cleaned him out in the divorce. He says she left him three things: half his clothes, a ratty car, and gonorrhea.

Very true where I work. College education required to compete with people who refuse to work or retire. New(er) hires get worse benefits, worse retirement, more job duties, threats of layoffs and furloughs due to lack of seniority.
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Boomers refuse to let anyone else move up. Limited number of jobs and the top are taken. Public and private

Yes, clearly they should just kill themselves. Then little entitled snowflakes could take their rightful position...

I worked for a state agency for 2 years. There were many employees who were way past retirement age making six figures doing mid-level jobs. Many of these people could not be relied on to complete projects because they weren't capable of doing them, but unions make it so there is nothing that can be done. The state is the largest employer here in CT, and with a hiring freeze and people sticking around who do nothing, it's no wonder thousands from the younger generation leave the state every year. Many of these people who are working at 70+ years old are in Tier 1 retirement where they get their highest 3 years salary average as a pension and free healthcare, so it literally makes zero sense to keep working. Meanwhile in my position I only had a 401k that the state didn't match, and the healthcare options were worse than my current corporate job, which is based in NY. I worked in a TECHNOLOGY group where I was the youngest employee at 26, and the rest were over 58. Many of the people in my group did not have adequate knowledge on anything newer than Windows XP, and simply refused to do any training, but it was allowed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
A lot depends upon what Amazon would actually offer these workers.
Most would find inferior terms and conditions with maybe a huge bonus offered if only this or that happens.
Most would also find working in a land of arbitrary and capricious performance reviews daunting.
For most workers in most areas of expertise, better the devil known.
Not any real shortage of IT savvy workers.
Now, were I one of those essential federal employees currently working without pay, I'd send my resume to Jeff & C. and jump at any offer.
Amazon might be a tough place, but they at least pay people for their hours of work and one could always go back to TSA or BOP when the paychecks start flowing again, since both have long had plenty of openings.

I can also tell you often after accepting offers from both agencies somehow many prospective new hires either wash out, quit, and or thier offer and required background end up missing. Both Agencies are not easy to be hired into.

Sorry to hear but this is not a reason not to be able to retire. It's more likely your friend does not want to make a lifestyle adjustment and because we live longer and with a higher quality of life we can work until we are elderly. The question is because we can should we?

Next thing you know you will be training somebody with a work visa at half your wage to take your job. Don't train no severance. Swamp jobs are better.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Sorry to hear but this is not a reason not to be able to retire. It's more likely your friend does not want to make a lifestyle adjustment and because we live longer and with a higher quality of life we can work until we are elderly. The question is because we can should we?

Lots of Americans over the age of 50 have not prepared for retirement.

Its like they put the thought of saving / investing for their future as a non important fact of life.

I know a pharmacist that is in his early 70's that is still working. He doesn't need the money but works to stay busy.

Once he retires, the hospital will hire 3 per diem new grads to replace him. Older employees are very expensive .

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Very true where I work. College education required to compete with people who refuse to work or retire. New(er) hires get worse benefits, worse retirement, more job duties, threats of layoffs and furloughs due to lack of seniority.

This is exactly what happened in the state agency where I worked. 3 recently hired younger techs were laid off due to state cuts, leaving a group of older folks who did not want/refused to do training on the newer systems. I was hired later down the road as a replacement for those 3 people, and was expected to do the work of those 3 people and pick up the slack for the others who refused to learn new things or take on responsibility, which I did, but it ended up being way too much for one entry level person/entry level salary. I was putting in 50-60 hour weeks to make up for the slack of others who simply weren't capable enough to do their work.

I am not sure people who work for federal government for any length except for new grads could really work for Amazon. A completely different work ethic and drive. If Amazon needs the experience of a federal worker obviously they'd scoop them up.

Last edited:

lol.gif

But you do seem to want them out, regardless.

My point is it's none of your business why they are still working, or whether they even can retire, IF they would like to.

You are taking this too literally/personal.

I never said it was their fault they are still there. The system is broken, particularly with government jobs. What private corporations do with their money doesn't really impact me at all. They pull salaries and benefits for older workers out of their own profits. The state operates differently. In CT for example they are unable to afford the boomers working longer with higher salaries and expensive benefits. The result is a hiring freeze on incoming staff and cutting benefits, as well as astronomical taxes, fees, etc. This leaves many state agencies understaffed with mostly older retirement aged employees. The boomers are most of the ones making the decisions on state benefits and budgets, and it's interesting how they have no problem cutting entry level positions and benefits while not restructuring their own retirement/benefit packages for the better of the state system.

As an example, my grandfather retired from a state job, and has made more money during the years he has been retired than all the years he worked for the state. A system like that simply isn't sustainable, especially considering how large the boomer population in the state is, and the ones making the decisions simply choose not to change it.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am not sure people who work for federal government for any length except for new grads could really work for Amazon. A completely different work ethic and drive. If Amazon needs the experience of a federal worker obviously they'd scoop them up.

That is a sweeping generalization. It really depends on the department you work for. Since I can't go into detail what it takes to get a submarine to sea I will tell it is lot harder, with a HUGE attention to detail and requires more work than the Non DOD jobs I have had. There is also a certain amount of satisfaction involved with it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back