CVT and 6 speed automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Automatics still use gears and have to be shifted to specific gears. CVTs don't have gears, they usually (not all, Nissan's Extroid for example) use a pulley system with a metal belt linking the driving and driven pulleys. The pulleys can change their dimensions such that it can vary the overall gear ratio "infinitely" as opposed to having fixed gears. This is supposed to give it fuel efficiency benefits over a traditional geared automatic.
2. The disadvantage with it is depending on the person and specific CVT, it may not simulate the feeling of the shift and the person might be turned off if it doesn't simulate the shift.
3. CVTs are relatively common now but you might have some service issues if you or someone else uses the wrong fluid. Not only do they require their own fluid, sometimes car manufacturers use multiple types of CVT fluids. For example Honda has more than one for different generations of their CVT, Nissan has one fluid for Extroid, another fluid for the other CVTs.
4. Reliability is of concern. Some CVTs are notorious for failure, like the Jatco ones Nissan used in a bunch of Sentra models. Some are better than others here.
5. If you're a tuner, sometimes the CVT limits what you can do to make more power. If the engine makes too much power it can cause severe damage to the belt on some CVTs where as it might not have with a traditional automatic or a manual. In other words the CVT was engineered to perform within a certain range of power and going past it is not an option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocR1D_dXhCk

Before I had a CVT, I would have preferred a traditional automatic to a CVT. After actually owning a CVT, I don't mind it any more and would rather have the CVT.

There is CVT hate on here. You won't get many objective opinions.

Just wait until many on here start experiencing 8 to 12 speed automatics that are ALWAYS hunting for the right gear.

Originally Posted by CKN

Just wait until many on here start experiencing 8 to 12 speed automatics that are ALWAYS hunting for the right gear.

Already experience that with the Toyota 5 spd auto on our 05 Avalon and 14 Tacoma .

Some do CVT's better than others and I think we are past the first generation nightmare Jatco's now although I wouldn't buy a Nissan CVT for a while yet until we see more high mileage ones confirming the problems are truly solved.
And before anyone gets on my case my aunt had a fairly new Nissan Juke and it puked the CVT at 90K KM.

Haven't head of Honda CVT's and Toyota CVT's blowing up, the Honda ones had some issues in the beginning though.

Last edited:
I have a 6-speed automatic in my 2017 Elantra. One characteristic is Triptronic feature. I put shifter to left and can push forward to shift to next gear or pull back to go to lower gear. Wonderful feature with the 10+ inch snow we had. Reminded me of the old days when I down shifted with a manual to slow down with engine at higher RPM in lower gear.

Originally Posted by jerseyguy123
I'm old school manual transmission guy. I saw two cars, one a CVT and one a six speed auto. Can someone
explain the differences and characteristics of each? Thank you

If you are "old school" aren't you old enough to not care about shifting anymore. It was fun when I was 18. Now a little older (enrolled in Medicare) I could care less. I want the most reliable transmission.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe

Before I had a CVT, I would have preferred a traditional automatic to a CVT. After actually owning a CVT, I don't mind it any more and would rather have the CVT.

I was anti CVT too. The early ones felt terrible and slushy. The one in my Subaru is very tolerable. I am as happy with it as a conventional ATX. I'd still prefer MTX but whatevs.

It's the same basic transmission that was used in mini-bikes in the 1970's, except everything is computer controlled for maximum efficiency. It's important to have a CVT with a 'manual' mode which allows engine braking if you drive in hilly or mountainous areas.

I'll say it. The CVT in my Caliber was much much better behaved than the CVT in the 2018 Altima rental I had. Most of that was programming, but it's a cvt, I don't want simulated gears.

I don't even think they're that bad, I rather like the smoothness of the CVT.

Originally Posted by anndel
Originally Posted by CKN

Already experience that with the Toyota 5 spd auto on our 05 Avalon and 14 Tacoma .

Try AMSOIL ATF. It greatly helped my Highlander

Teslas only have one gear and I haven't seen any complaining about them?
lol.gif

CVTs can also simulate the "shifting" you're used to with an auto. CVTs generally get a bad rap, but depending on how picky you are, it's really not a big deal. The engine and transmission just continually work together to keep the engine around torque peak during normal driving, which means the engine will be more fuel efficient and the car fairly responsive because it's making the most torque. When you floor it, however, the engine will generally stay around the HP peak, which is usually just shy of the redline on most small engines. It can be disconcerting at first, but it quickly fades "into Bolivion" to quote Iron Mike.

People who complain about CVTs generally haven't driven a good one, or are just whiny people in general. There have been some pretty bad CVTs, but in general if you are buying one of big names and higher end models, there is nothing to fear.

The words "CVT" and "simulated shifting" should never go together. The simulated shifting defeats the CVT's main positives, keeping the engine at the optimum torque level for fuel efficiency. Once you get past what you had in the past (a very limited number of gear ratios resulting in the typical wind up of the rpms) you realize the CVT is the ultimate transmission. It keeps the motor in the range it should be. Generations from now kids will look back and laugh at what we thought how a car should sound.

Generations of kids from now won't even know what an ICE sounds like, let's be real. The only place they'll ever be able to hear the roar of a wicked BBC on nitrous will be on the Wayback Machine page of YouTube. How sad.

Snowmobiles have used cvt since the begining and the screaming two stroke held wide open was a blast but hearing the engine rev every twist of the throttle got old quick. I`ll pass on them in road vehicles. Predict that they will soon enter the dustbin of history.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Wifey hasn't complained about her 18 CRV with the CVT.

Honda does a great job with their CVT's not feeling like CVT's. Glad to hear that the 2018 is excellent as my MIL's CRV is about to be replaced soon.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by ARB1977
Wifey hasn't complained about her 18 CRV with the CVT.

Honda does a great job with their CVT's not feeling like CVT's. Glad to hear that the 2018 is excellent as my MIL's CRV is about to be replaced soon.

So far this one doesn't seem to have the fuel dilution issue and heat issue like the ones up north have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back