Hypothetical - X6M vs X5M vs AMG GLE63

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
And.... GO!

If somebody were looking at a slightly larger SUV in the 570HP range and their spouse preferred the X5M over the X6M as criteria. Spouse also hates the AMG. Person is currently extremely satisfied with their existing vehicle so there's no big incentive to jump into something else, basically just window shopping.

These things depreciate like a rock off a cliff, so assume the vehicles in question have lost 40% of their value, are 1 or 2 years old and have under 60,000Km on them (37,000 miles). All are through their respective dealers, factory certified used, come with extended warranty for 5 years, 140,000Km (AMG) 5 years, unlimited (BMW).

X6M:
[Linked Image]

X5M:
[Linked Image]

GLE63 AMG:
[Linked Image]

The X5M would be my pick. If long-term reliability and service was in the question, Mercedes usually does better.

As you know, we got an X6 M mainly for the wife. We drove all the competitors. It's a lot more fun to drive than any 5k lb SUV should be. Yes, any cars in that class lose a huge amount in depreciation. But anyone considering one should (hopefully) know that, and factor that into the decision making process.

As for reliability, we have four vehicles (six if we include a couple of the bikes) that the 'experts' (which I often get the chance to talk to while out at the gas station, grocery store, the internet, etc.) say are horribly unreliable. I just tell them thanks for the insight, and if I have a problem on the ones out of warranty, I can likely fix it.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I would never in a million years dream owning BMW V8, but they sure do keep service departments busy.

My S62 wasn't tooooooo bad:
- PCV breather hoses
- Camshaft position sensors

But this is a twin-turbo 4.4L V8... which certainly does cause one to take pause. The AMG is a 5.5L hand-built (signed by the guy that built it) twin-turbo, which of course would be less high strung, being larger in the displacement department.

Originally Posted by 02SE
As you know, we got an X6 M mainly for the wife. We drove all the competitors. It's a lot more fun to drive than any 5k lb SUV should be. Yes, any cars in that class lose a huge amount in depreciation. But anyone considering one should (hopefully) know that, and factor that into the decision making process.

As for reliability, we have four vehicles (six if we include a couple of the bikes) that the 'experts' (which I often get the chance to talk to while out at the gas station, grocery store, the internet, etc.) say are horribly unreliable. I just tell them thanks for the insight, and if I have a problem on the ones out of warranty, I can likely fix it.

How many miles do you have on yours presently?

About 6k.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

The MB is super easy to look at because the dealer is local. The Bimmers are a good hour + drive and can't be locally serviced. On the other hand, the wife hates the Benz, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
On the other hand, the wife hates the Benz, LOL!
grin.gif

What does she not like about it?
BMW has classier SUV styling. MB SUVs scream rich foreigner, at least around here.

Last edited:
grin.gif

She doesn't like the styling, it turns her right off.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
grin.gif

BMW has classier SUV styling. MB SUVs scream rich foreigner, at least around here.

I'm in agreement. It's also sportier. But she likes the X5, I like the X6
21.gif

Parked next to one today … landscaper iPad glued to dash … (looked like one)

I really like the AMG engine. The looks are personal taste but I don't find any of them hard to look at. for me the MB gets the nod.

About 6k.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

The MB is super easy to look at because the dealer is local. The Bimmers are a good hour + drive and can't be locally serviced. On the other hand, the wife hates the Benz, LOL!
grin.gif

It's all subjective of course, but we went with the one we enjoyed best. The MB felt more like a heavy SUV to us, which they both are of course, but it didn't hide it's weight as well as the X6 M, IMO. Yes the MB is a larger displacement engine, but while driving that's not apparent. They both have good power through the rev-range.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Parked next to one today … landscaper iPad glued to dash … (looked like one)

This turned us off of this car, wow it looks like an afterthought. FWIW my hypothetical wife just went through and test drove most of the nicer SUV and ended up liking the Porsche :-$

I actually like the hidden compartments behind some screens … so much that I gave my wife something to hide behind her's (just in case)

[/quote] BMW has classier SUV styling. MB SUVs scream rich foreigner, at least around here.
[/quote]

Yeah same with this area. Mercedes have always been more reliable and better built, especially for long term ownership, but the last few years MB has kind of lost its way with a lot of offerings (like the hideous light up grille star) and is being marketed to foreigners who just want to flash around in brand names. They really need to get back to their roots and build classy, stylish, understated freeway missles that can run coast to coast in comfort

Originally Posted by Trav
I really like the AMG engine. The looks are personal taste but I don't find any of them hard to look at. for me the MB gets the nod.

Worth noting, the MB is more money (~15K) at this point, but lower mileage. It seemed really nicely equipped, I also found much of it quite similar to the Jeep, right down to the headliner, but it's a bit bigger, and you can feel that, and it is nice. I haven't had a chance to try out the bimmers yet, because of their lack of being local.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back