Full Synthetic High Mileage in 40w range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a 40w range fully synthetic high mileage oil.

Does anyone else make a full synthetic high mileage oil like M1 10w40? I can't seem to find any that are full synthetic. Nothing against it but just wondering if there are other oils I should look at as well. This is for the problematic VW/Audi EA888 engine with about 123k miles on it. They're notorious for oil consumption.

Last edited:
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/7AA916452910531580257EFB0071A62D/$File/BPXE-A4X7SV.pdf

Castrol Edge High Mileage 10W40

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
Looking for a 40w range fully synthetic high mileage oil.

Does anyone else make a full synthetic high mileage oil like M1 10w40? I can't seem to find any that are full synthetic. Nothing against it but just wondering if there are other oils I should look at as well. This is for the problematic VW/Audi EA888 engine with about 123k miles on it. They're notorious for oil consumption.

My EA888 does not consume drop of oil.
How is your PCV or rear main seal? PCV failure will lead to rear main seal failure.

After looking at the VOA, I guess M1 10w40 is the way to go with it's lower Ca and higher Mg. This is a turbo DI engine after all. Thankfully it's significantly less expensive than the Castrol 10w40HM.

Car is running fine but it needs the timing chain system replaced (tensioner is at max extension) and I'll probably do the PCV system myself in the near future. Not burning much oil but want to keep it that way. It's a class action and TSB for Audi anyway for oil consumption and timing chain system. Apparently a lot of these engines suffered from poor quality cylinder rings from a vendor and poorly designed timing chain tensioners pre-2014.

Last edited:
After looking at the VOA, I guess M1 10w40 is the way to go with it's lower Ca and higher Mg. This is a turbo DI engine after all. Thankfully it's significantly less expensive than the Castrol 10w40HM.

Car is running fine but it needs the timing chain system replaced (tensioner is at max extension) and I'll probably do the PCV system myself in the near future. Not burning much oil but want to keep it that way. It's a class action and TSB for Audi anyway for oil consumption and timing chain system. Apparently a lot of these engines suffered from poor quality cylinder rings from a vendor and poorly designed timing chain tensioners pre-2014.

I would stick with Castrol 0W40. You will not gain anything with HM oil.
I changed tensioner at 68k preventively and installed updated one.
Reengineered piston rings, PCV are mid-2012 as well as chain tensioner (this affects 3.0T engines too).
I would change tensioner ASAP, and stick to Castrol 0W40. PCV might alleviate some of your issues as that is first culprit.
By the way, what oil are you using now?

Agree with edy above.

I had a 2011 GTI for 7.5 years and my coworker bought it from me about ten months ago, he still has it. It has about 82k on it now. Still on the original tensioner but I have told him he might want to swap it out. I think the consumption problem is more PCV related but mine never really used much oil, maybe 1/2-3/4 quart every 6-7k mile OCI. I always used 502 oils in it.

Last edited:

I second that, M1 HM 10w-40 is a very good oil.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I would stick with Castrol 0W40. You will not gain anything with HM oil.
I changed tensioner at 68k preventively and installed updated one.
Reengineered piston rings, PCV are mid-2012 as well as chain tensioner (this affects 3.0T engines too).
I would change tensioner ASAP, and stick to Castrol 0W40. PCV might alleviate some of your issues as that is first culprit.
By the way, what oil are you using now?

I think at 123k miles on this somewhat problematic engine design, I think it might make sense as preventative to keep the seals in good condition. There's Castrol 0w40 that was just changed in there now. I'm getting the tensioner and full chain service and maybe a carbon cleaning done in 2 days.

Next oil change, I'll probably switch to M1 10W40HM because of it's lower Ca content as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back